Triple or double?

HellsCyclist
HellsCyclist Posts: 122
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
What do you prefer? I have both. I prefer the triple even though my "good bike" is only a double. I like the wider range of a triple and this helps me maintain a better chain line too. Doesnt matter too much on my better bike as Im not carrying a rucksack full of crap.

Seems to me that doubles are more mainstream these days. Is this a weight saving thing?

Comments

• Ibis2k14
    Ibis2k14 Posts: 25
    I'm Italian but back in my country I used to live far from the Alps or any serious mountain path, so I used to stick with doubles. Then I moved to Australia and that was as flat as it can get. Again, only used a double.
    Two years ago I moved to Taiwan, with massive climbs pretty much everywhere. The first time that I tried one with a double I could clearly see my life energy leaving my body and my soul was ready to embrace the afterlife. I moved to a triple.
    After a bit of time I got used to riding uphill and I bought a light carbon bike with decent wheels and a 50/34 + 12/30 setup, and I can climb pretty easily.

From my experience I'd say:
    Commuting on flat: double
    Commuting on hilly terrain: triple (especially if you cannot shower at work)
    "Proper" riding on flat: double
    "Proper" riding on climbs: depends on rider's fitness
    Touring: too many factors involved (terrain, duration of the tour, amount of gear etc etc)

I
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ^
    That sounds about right to me except for touring I would say maybe more towards a triple, but again depends on your fitness and how much changing between chainrings will spoil your day if your fitness/set up means that you will have to change a lot.

Am glad you seem to be happy with both options on your two bikes OP, but feel the calm is about to be spoilt by a vicious double v triple war :shock:

Let battle commence :lol:
  • I bought my road bike a couple of weeks ago having decided to move from my MTB which I had put road tyres on. Was time to take the plunge.

I went for the triple option but if I'm honest, there wasn't too much science involved in it. I thought that the wider range would help me. And I think that it probably has on some climbs where I have run out of gears when shifting down!!

I guess I can always change it to a double if I thought it would be an improvement in time. I do think it probably reduces cross-chaining for me at the moment.

Andy
  • Anonymous
    A thing to remember about triples is that you get them a lot on cheaper 8 speed bikes so having 3 chainrings means you can have a closer ratio cassette (although they still seem to come with wide ratio ones).
    If you have an 11 speed cassette its not so necessary for the majority of riding/riders in the UK IMO

All this talk of fitness levels and cheap bikes will upset triple owners but its not meant to be macho or show offie, its just the way it is.
    They are different things for different uses and different rider preferences.
    The size of the chainrings/sprockets are as important as the number of them too.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Neither for me, and no I'm not one of those strange single speed types, both my bikes have compact :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I've been riding a triple for over 3 years. I've had zero problems with it and it was the right drive train for me especially when i got started. It's still ideal on steep hills.
    I've also ridden compacts several times with hire bikes on cycling holidays. These have never caused me a problem either. There's much more choice in bikes if you want a compact. They are a little lighter and narrower than triples too but I don't see those as important factors. My new bike will have a compact and I'm confident I'll have sufficient gearing for nearly all circumstances (I can put on a medium cage de-railleur and 11-32 cassette should I ever need to get up something really horrific!). What I don't know yet is whether I'm going to find it better or worse with respect to position of most often used gear ratios. i.e. will I do more or fewer chainring changes to stay in my normal cadence range on typical terrain. On the triple I spend some time in the middle ring (39) and most time on the big ring on flatter terrain. Not sure if I'll spend more time on the big ring now but with bigger sprockets or will I often revert to the small ring and a smaller sprockets. We'll see but it's not going to be a big deal regardless.

To answer your question:
    Compacts/Doubles are a little lighter, a little cheaper and the chainrings may be slightly easier to set up.
    Triples give more gearing options for the same cassette and in reality are not really any harder to maintain.
    There seems to be a bit of a perception that triples are heavy, difficult and unnecessary (due to the availability of compacts) which has made them less popular. In my opinion they're still a perfectly good option.
  • Anonymous
    arran77 wrote:
    Neither for me, and no I'm not one of those strange single speed types, both my bikes have compact :wink:

Both your bikes are doubles then :wink:
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    What do you prefer? I have both. I prefer the triple even though my "good bike" is only a double. I like the wider range of a triple and this helps me maintain a better chain line too. Doesnt matter too much on my better bike as Im not carrying a rucksack full of crap.

Seems to me that doubles are more mainstream these days. Is this a weight saving thing?
    Most bikes these days have compacts (usually 50-34 front chainrings) rather than standard doubles (usually something like 52-39). Compacts are okay for most hills, but I still like my bikes with triples as gears seem smoother and less of a jump to the big ring.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Coffee: Double
    Vodka: Triple

Road: Double
    MTB: Triple 26/36/48 and 22/36/44

TBH I think the golden ratio for a triple is 24/36/48
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Triples are great if you want really high top gears and really low bottom gears; you can't really use the full range of the outer and inner rings, but you can use the full range of the middle, which works really well for some people.

For an extreme case, Andy Wilkinson uses 56/42/26. I plan to build a dedicated tourer at some point which will have a triple. Carrying very heavy luggage has a significant effect on my gearing choices!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on where you're riding. I'm going to put a triple on one of my CX bikes for adventure riding as 34x29 simply isn't low enough for some of the places I ride. Likewise if you're touring or carrying luggage
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Carbonator wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

Both your bikes are doubles then :wink:

Not standard though, but I guess the OP wasn't asking that :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    A compact double is all I need for road cycling. When I fist started, I did wish I had a couple of lower hears than my 34x25, but I soon improved my fitness and can now get up anything less than 33% on it (would not recommend :!: )

Now we have a good availability of wide ratio cassettes with 32 teeth you should be able to get up anything with a practice and training. I don't really see the point of standard doubles unless you are very strong or live in a pan flat area- I used one in the South Downs briefly while my BB/ chain set was being replaced, and it become a massive problem when the going gets steep. They are good for TT bikes though, but then you're unlikely to see serious gradient in a TT...

Where I would appreciate a triple is when touring. I've done a few camping tours now with a compact with wide cassette on a sturdy hybrid and wish I had better ratios- it was nearly impossible to find the 'right' gear either grinding up a hill or cruising on the flat- and I spun out easily downhill (although with that much load I don't think speed could have been a good thing!)
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Nice thing about triples is that you do get a wider range of gears. More to the point you get them with less gaps. Most noticeable when you can use a smaller bottom sprocket as you have that lower than compact granny ring. Eg my 28t inner on my triple gives me a lower gear but with less gaps than my mates compact. I guess a lot depends on where you ride. I find a compact too much like hard work on the 20% plus hills round here when I am doing 10 plus miles of them in a morning. I could use a 30t low on a compact but that's gives nasty gaps.
    Actually I have gone one stage further and run a 28/42 chainset with a 12/25 cassette. That covers a lot.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I've gone from an alu triple with 9-speed 11-28 cassette to a carbon double (compact) with 10-speed 11-32. I thought the 32 would be too low but I'm liking it more now, getting the cadence up and keeping it high for the steep climbs above 12% gradient round here. Going from a 9 speed to a 10 speed I can't say I'm suffering from big gaps in the cassette spacings, the double is less hassle as you don't have to keep nudging and trimming the front derailleur like I did on the old bike to avoid chain rub on the middle and the outer. Mind you, I've gone from Tiagra to 105 in the upgrade so its not too surprising I'm preferring the double now.