Crunching/grinding in bottom bracket area (only when muddy)

Buns_of_Steel
Buns_of_Steel Posts: 20
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I've recently decided to get back into mountain biking again after a ten year absence so times have changed some what since my last exposure to the cycling world and even then i was only a social cycler who did a bit of tinkering here and there so please forgive my lack of knowledge and any silly questions.

So i bought a Scott Genius 720 four weeks ago and have ridden 40 miles tops on it 30% of which is through woodland trails, the rest on the road and public bridleways, gravel paths etc. Nothing too exciting but I have found a recurring problem in my last few rides. I clean and oil my bike after every ride and when i ride on the road of clean paths it rides absolutely fine but one ride i was cycling through alot very thick clay mud and once the bottom bracket area got covered in mud i got a nasty crunching/grinding sound. I could feel it in the pedals as well. I got home and hosed the bike down, scrubbed the drive train clean, oiled the chain and rear mech. I then went out on a 5 mile ride mainly using roads and footpaths and it rode like a dream. Then i went out on a few local trails and once again as soon as the bottom bracket area got muddy the nasty crunching/grinding came back. Got home cleaned and oiled the bike and it was fine.

I've inspected the components as much as i can but honestly im not entirely sure what im looking for. The cranks have no movement in them when i physically push/pull them. The components look brand new with no bangs or dents. Nothing looks bent. I use Muc-Off C3 Dry Ceramic Lube in dry conditions, Weldtite TF2 Performance Lube With Teflon when the weather turns which recently has been all the time. I've just bought some Finish Line Wet Lube to see if that helps things.

I honestly have no idea what could be causing this issue. Like i say its fine in dry clean conditions but horrible in muddy wet conditions. My first thought was maybe its dirt and grit getting into the bottom bracket/crank area but the bottom bracket has sealed cups which supposedly keep dirt and water out so for a £3000 bike with 40 miles on the clock i cant believe its normal to experience that. The only time i experienced something similar was when the bearings went in my bottom bracket on my old bike but this rides so nicely when its clean it cant be that can it? I've got a 2 month service in a few weeks so i'll bring it up then but in the mean time if anyone has any suggestions

Here is a link to my bike with a spec list
http://www.scott-sports.com/ch/en/produ ... 4A3C065E2D

Any similar experience or ideas are more than welcome.

Any extra info wanted then please ask.

Cheers,

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That's what happens - crap covers the drivetrain and makes nioses.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just sounds like mud getting into the bb area so the rotating cranks are moving it, or perhaps into the chain round the chainring, it happens.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    If you bought it from a shop, take it in for its free check and point this out. It's hard enough diagnosing noises with the bike in front of you, let alone across the internet.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If it's fine when clean then what else could it be but dirt?
  • Thats the conclusion i came to but just wanted a bit of reassurance my new toy wasn't falling to pieces :oops:
    I appreciate the comments :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't forget that the detritus from the front wheel sprays pretty much straight into the BB area and onto the chainrings.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Grubby chain being passed through grubby chainrings. It's just what happens. Best you can do it clean it after each ride
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    Change the chain lube as well that suits the environmental conditions. If the conditions are dry and sandy and using a wet lube you will loads of that whereas a dry lube in the same places wont be badly effected.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA