Cornish Independence

arran77
arran77 Posts: 9,260
edited April 2014 in The cake stop
So it's official, the Cornish are now recognised as a minority within the UK, just as the Scots and the Welsh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-27132035

Does this mean that when we chisel off Scotland and let them float off to independence that we have to do the same for Kernow :wink:
"Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn

Comments

• Who gets St Michael's Mount?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/VIDE ... story.html
    I thought this scouser had already declared independence for Kernow a few weeks back, I'm on holiday next to this beach in the summer, suggestions on what i should do if i pinch his wave?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • arran77
    Who gets St Michael's Mount?

Maybe we could sell it to some russian oligarch.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77
    http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/VIDEO-Surfer-told-8220-England-8221-Cornish-beach/story-20899412-detail/story.html
    I thought this scouser had already declared independence for Kernow a few weeks back, I'm on holiday next to this beach in the summer, suggestions on what i should do if i pinch his wave?

If that's the way they want it then they can feck off, we'll all find somewhere else to holiday, that'll show 'em :P

seanoconn
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I am reliably informed that he has had his palm read by one or two of the "proper" locals.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    fwiw I am 1/2 Cornish with a mothers maiden of something beginning with treve, that as it may, to recognise the Cornish as ethnic minority has far more to do with that txxt Cameron and his holidays down here than any real concern about Cornwall...who the hell is Cornish now? they all sold up their homes to Ric Stien and a multitude of rich wan.. sorry bankers years ago.
    From my primary school, hardly anyone still lives down here, we all had to move away to get jobs and few can afford the house prices or the wages, based on tourism, to move back, anyone else left like my mum, is dying out.

A more meaningful move would be to tax unoccupied 2nd homes at 1000% of council tax rates, these lack of affordability can destroy whole communities, close schools and shops and create ghost villages, week days and out of season.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    FFS, I've never heard something quite so ridiculous !

Are the people of every other county also a minority ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Racists all of you Racists!!

I ll have you know that I am now an ethnic minority and so like DDD in the Communter Forum anything I say is therefore correct and if you disagree you are automatically bigot UKIP voter and are oppressing my rights as a human being!

Pasty be with you.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mamba80 wrote:
    fwiw I am 1/2 Cornish with a mothers maiden of something beginning with treve, that as it may, to recognise the Cornish as ethnic minority has far more to do with that txxt Cameron and his holidays down here than any real concern about Cornwall...who the hell is Cornish now? they all sold up their homes to Ric Stien and a multitude of rich wan.. sorry bankers years ago.
    From my primary school, hardly anyone still lives down here, we all had to move away to get jobs and few can afford the house prices or the wages, based on tourism, to move back, anyone else left like my mum, is dying out.

A more meaningful move would be to tax unoccupied 2nd homes at 1000% of council tax rates, these lack of affordability can destroy whole communities, close schools and shops and create ghost villages, week days and out of season.
    Great idea.

Chase out all the wealthy holidaymakers so you can be really short of money all year round.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    mamba80 wrote:

Great idea.

Chase out all the wealthy holidaymakers so you can be really short of money all year round.
    If you let your holiday home out for 10 weeks a year you don't have to pay any Council Tax...
  • Let them have their independence if they want it. However they will lose their sole marketing rights to the "Cornish Pasty". We all know that the best "Cornish" pasties are made in Devon anyway! They lost the argument about clotted cream years ago.
    I don't do Cold, Wet, Uphill or into the wind!!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    mamba80 wrote:

I know a bloke called Trev. Don't think he's Cornish though.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I know trev, saw him last night he looked a little pasty
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Arr
  • arran77
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Arr
    Are you just trying to live upto your wrecker stereotype Mikey?

seanoconn
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Arr

A word made up by Robert Louis Stephenson, who was from Edinburgh.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    I'm hoping this sets a trend and London cam claim independence too. We have a handy border called the M25. We can claim to be the hard working minority and then we can stop subsidising all the lazy gits out in the sticks :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I'm hoping this sets a trend and London cam claim independence too. We have a handy border called the M25. We can claim to be the hard working minority and then we can stop subsidising all the lazy gits out in the sticks :wink:

I d vote for that, it is soooo true, big adv for the rest of us would be you lot would have to stay there :) whilst we all revert back to the 1950s and start to use the A30/M5 for what they were meant for, shipping out all the emmits :lol:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    team47b wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Arr

A word made up by Robert Louis Stephenson, who was from Edinburgh.

but a noise (I hesitate to call it a word) made by many a Westcountry local before that...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    nathancom wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Great idea.

If you let your holiday home out for 10 weeks a year you don't have to pay any Council Tax...

What's the Cornish equivalent of Plaid Cymru? 'cos they were doing over holiday cottages and could probably give you some tips.

FWIW, tourism might be good for the local economy but not when it actively destroys communities.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Awesome then we could invade, pillage your womenfolk and just sit around drinking cans of super whilst smoking contraband golden virginia.
  • bdu98252
    bdu98252 Posts: 171
    arran77 wrote:
    http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/VIDEO-Surfer-told-8220-England-8221-Cornish-beach/story-20899412-detail/story.html

If that's the way they want it then they can feck off, we'll all find somewhere else to holiday, that'll show 'em :P

I hear that Blackpool and Scarborough are nice spots. On second thoughts I think I will stick with surfing in Cornwall :D
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    If we let you in ...
  • Shirley getting in isn't a problem, its getting back out.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • arran77
    Shirley getting in isn't a problem, its getting back out.

His names Mikey, not Shirley :P

seanoconn
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Ripping off tourists and pickpocketting isn't real work.
  • arran77
    johnfinch wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Ripping off tourists and pickpocketting isn't real work.

The Cornish get away with that, well one of them anyway.

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    arran77 wrote:
    Shirley getting in isn't a problem, its getting back out.

His names Mikey, not Shirley :P
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I see you still like your inflatables, Sean. :wink:
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I'm with you Stevo. Lazy deadbeats
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי