Gluing tubulars

term1te
term1te Posts: 1,462
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Is one 25g tube of glue sufficient for one wheel/tyre? I've only ever used tape before with tubular tyres, I'm going with glue this summer, but don't want to buy too many or few tubes of glue. I'll be glueing two wheels and a spare tub, will that require three tubes?

Thanks

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Buy a tin of Vittoria mastik.. works out cheaper.. you aint going to be glueing by the roadside are you?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    for regular use yes but if your only planning on one set of tubs + spare, then 2 tubes will be plenty if you use 3 thin coats per fitment and one for the spare, which is the method Vitt recommend - a couple of cheap kids paint brushes to apply.
    if you go for the multi coat approach then buy a tin.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    For the price of them I'd buy a few extra, you'll always use them at some point in the future and it means you won't run out mid job if you're a bit heavy handed with the glue. Or indeed but the can as it will be cheaper.

Have a search on eBay for 'flux brushes', perfect for the job and you can just bin them after use.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Buy three. On my first glue job I ran out with one layer to go pre-mounting so used the third to finish up and pre glue my spare.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    JGSI wrote:
    Buy a tin of Vittoria mastik.. works out cheaper.. you aint going to be glueing by the roadside are you?

I bought the tin and it was a mistake-unless you plan to fit a LOT of tyres at once and use it all in a couple of months it dries up in the tin(once opened) and is no longer useable.
    I buy the small tubes now...
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Thanks everyone, three tubes of glue it is.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Semantik wrote:
    JGSI wrote:

I bought the tin and it was a mistake-unless you plan to fit a LOT of tyres at once and use it all in a couple of months it dries up in the tin(once opened) and is no longer useable.
    I buy the small tubes now...

I bought a tin and reopened it about year after the first use and it was still usable. You have to really press down on the lid when you close it.

25g should be about enough for one wheel but best to buy a second tube in case.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I've had a tin of Conti rim cement for >6 months now and there wasn't any sign of it drying up lat month when I glued some tubs. The Conti tin does have a screw top though so the seal may be better.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    I've had a tin of Conti rim cement for >6 months now and there wasn't any sign of it drying up lat month when I glued some tubs. The Conti tin does have a screw top though so the seal may be better.

Vittoria Mastik One is a different story