Cheap carbon wheels sets

robkillick
robkillick Posts: 31
edited April 2014 in Cyclocross
Hi.i'm looking at some carbon cx disc wheels from china, prob with Novatek hubs and 50mm rims.

Anyone any tried and tested a pair??
You can't make a donkey a race horse but you do end up with a fast donkey!

Meta 55

Comments

• PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    Yes, have been great.
  • How is the ride compaired to ali rims?
    You can't make a donkey a race horse but you do end up with a fast donkey!

Meta 55
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,179
    I hope you are getting the tubulars...

Otherwise, what's the rationale for getting carbon?
    left the forum March 2023
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I hope you are getting the tubulars...

Otherwise, what's the rationale for getting carbon?
    It's bling init ...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,179
    Slowbike wrote:
    It's bling init ...

It's plastic, init?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I can't see the point in deep section rims on CX bikes, most of the time you're not going fast enough for them to be much use. I'd rather go for some nice handmade aluminium ones which will probably come out lighter, stronger and cheaper.

Just my two penneth, they do look nice though.

edit: Also unless you're going disk, I would have thought a carbon braking surface coupled with CX brakes would do pretty much nothing in the wet.
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    I run discs on mine, but on my daughter's she has cantis and they stop just fine. If you're racing, you're not supposed to brake much anyway :-) You're right you can get better wheels, but I'm not sure you're right that you can get them cheaper. I couldn't find anything, hand made or factory, that could compete with it bang for buck. Agree that not sure 50mm is worth it. I got 35mm rims as I didn't see the aero benefit and it's a bit lighter.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    38mm tubulars from Far Sports. 1100g. Braking is fine all weathers with rim brakes.

Best part - £400 delivered. When you are running multiple wheelsets (as you should be if you are halfway serious) these are the sensible option.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I can't see the point in deep section rims on CX bikes, most of the time you're not going fast enough for them to be much use.
    It's not for aerodynamic reasons. Imagine the situation where you're riding through gloop that's deep enough to submerge the rim; as the rim lifts out of the mud, it has to lift/displace all the mud that's settled on top of it. However if the rim's deep enough not to submerge completely, that doesn't happen.

I'm planning to race on 50mm carbon rims next season; just need to decide which Chinese rims to use. Should be able to hit about 1400g per wheel, including rotors...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    TGOTB wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I can't see the point in deep section rims on CX bikes, most of the time you're not going fast enough for them to be much use.
    It's not for aerodynamic reasons. Imagine the situation where you're riding through gloop that's deep enough to submerge the rim; as the rim lifts out of the mud, it has to lift/displace all the mud that's settled on top of it. However if the rim's deep enough not to submerge completely, that doesn't happen.

I'm planning to race on 50mm carbon rims next season; just need to decide which Chinese rims to use. Should be able to hit about 1400g per wheel, including rotors...
    I'd not heard of that before but it does make some sense. That's some pretty deep mud but I have ridden courses like that to be fair!
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    Can anyone recommend a wheel upgrade for my Boardman? It is a disk.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I run carbon wheels on my CX race bike - the howling cantis let back-markers know you're coming through ;-) besides, they're not brakes, more slower-downers! Carbon clinchers would be pretty pointless simply for the reason of not being able to run lower pressures.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..