Is this bad boy worth restoring?

marekjaworski
marekjaworski Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Your road bikes
Peugeot Carbolite 103 - Bought from a charity shop in Costa Blanca, Spain for EUR50 - unfortunately left in the sun for too long and one of the tyres has dried out and cracked - other than that it rides really well.

Thing is, I have no idea of the history of this bike. I mean, is it worth much? I don't need it myself, the in laws brought it over to the UK about the time I joined a cycle-to-work scheme, so it's not needed. Just wondering if it's worth spending a few quid getting it up to scratch to sell?

Would appreciate any help.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8556938@N03/13994469684/

:)

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I know a few folks who ride them as commuters. The Carbolite 103 steel was heavy and not butted; gas pipes. I wouldn't spend a lot on it but if it's all working then it's worth using.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Peugeot Carbolite 103 - Bought from a charity shop in Costa Blanca, Spain for EUR50 - unfortunately left in the sun for too long and one of the tyres has dried out and cracked - other than that it rides really well.

I look at this picture and your comment that it rides really well worries me. How the hell does it stop with the brake blocks lined up that badly??? :shock:
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    I guess the block position will counteract the effect of the suicide levers :D

If you don't need it why not give it to someone without a bike?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Peugeot Carbolite 103 - Bought from a charity shop in Costa Blanca, Spain for EUR50 - unfortunately left in the sun for too long and one of the tyres has dried out and cracked - other than that it rides really well.

I look at this picture and your comment that it rides really well worries me. How the hell does it stop with the brake blocks lined up that badly??? :shock:

Ha! The front wheel is not attached, it's 'positioned' for the purposes of the photo! But when fitted correctly it works fine!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    No, it's not worth much, it was the equivalent of a low budget racer these days (fitted with Sora, for instance). If you can get it to work smoothly for a few pounds, it's worth doing, otherwise not. Could be an intro in the world of period cyclosportives, if you are interested
    left the forum March 2023
  • I have a friend who got one of these on freecycle (well very similar, it is the le tour version but looks the same with the same components by the looks) it is quite heavy but absolutely perfect for a lockup bike, with new tyres/tubes (the pricey sum of £14) he now rides it to work every day, I concur with everyone else, don't spend much money on it, just get it running and enjoy it.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I would love a wee project bike like this and would probably enjoy more time working on it than riding it. Unfortunately, it would count towards my n+1 in my wife's eyes and would feel like a waste of an 'n'.
    Had a bit of a giggle at the mudguards, I remember from my Raleigh Arena just how 'effective' they were - deflect roughly as much water as a teabag.
    As above, tinker with it but don't throw too much money at it would be my tuppence worth.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Looks smart enough. Well advertised on Ebay you can easily get over £100 for one. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-Vintage ... 7675.l2557

Stick some Michelin World tours on for about £12 the pair and re-align the bar tape and I doubt it wants anything else other than a really good clean so the chainrings look shiny in the photos.
    Faster than a tent.......