going down to one MTB

gazman428
gazman428 Posts: 111
edited April 2014 in MTB general
Has anyone had more than one bike then gone down to just the one?

I've got 2 mtbs atm, a cube ams pro 110 xcbike and a AM nukeproof mega.

I'm thinking off selling off the cube and going down to 1 as I need the funds for my wedding but i'm unsure if the nukeproof with it's 1x10 and big travel is overkill for general use.

Anyone else done this and how did you get on?

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I used to have a FS and a HT mountain bike. Due to not really riding the FS and the HT being my preferred bike I sold the FS. You just need to workout which one suits your expected riding better and is easier to maintain once you are married and have no spare money ;)
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    I have just the one MTB, that being an AM/enduro rig. Mega is totally capable do anything bike. If you need the money, the Cube can go.
    You'll notice the weight gain and pedal bob more on the Mega on XC stuff, but it'll still do it totally fine, and probably be a more fun ride while doing so.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Sell both and get something in between? Perhaps a Mega TR if you're happy with your mega AM
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    I got rid of a 120mm Spesh and a Stinky for an Intense Tracer

Couldn't be happier. Ride it everywhere from Degla Red to Stiniog.
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    Never!!!!

I've had two mtbs for years although I doubt I spend much more than most people, decent AM rig and a £500 hardtail. The hardtail stops me getting lazy and helps keep my skills up, reduces wear and tear on the big bike and hopefully helps stop me getting mugged in my local woods!!!
    "Didn't hurt"
  • Honestly, I feel that you have to worry more about getting married instead of selling a bike or not, let alone funding it from the sale!!! :mrgreen:
  • gazman428
    Honestly, I feel that you have to worry more about getting married instead of selling a bike or not, let alone funding it from the sale!!! :mrgreen:

Haha, never thought of it that way!!!

I have the age old bike problem n+1, I have sold one bike (a fsr) given my brother a hard tail, but bought the mega and a winter road hack.
    Well the winter road hack is getting sold and the cube probably too so I just have a road and mtb.
    just saying that makes me realise how much of a spoilt brat I am!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I went from a downhill bike and a hardtail to just one all mountain rig - suits me fine, and I still ride the same trails!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Sell the misses, Buy a DH bike aswell?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Sell the misses, Buy a DH bike aswell?

Top advise. No one should have to live without a downhill bike.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep, gone from an XC race bike and a trail bike to just having a race bike for the last 5 years. 95% of the time it's fine, I'd probably ride my race bike anyway most of the time, but now and again I do miss having something with a bit more bounce.

That said, in the same time race bikes have got more 'fun' and a lot less twitchy.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    njee20 wrote:
    That said, in the same time race bikes have got more 'fun' and a lot less twitchy.
    Sounds like a contradiction!

A mate has a 150mm Knolly as his do anything bike and he does use it for everything, apart from my 1997 Fuji retro bike I only have my 100mm HT as that does everything I want of it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gazman428
    My winter road bike is going up for sale shortly. I have a buyer lined up for the cube if I want to sell it.

On the plus side, their was a cock up in the finances and we are now 600 quid better off so I don't have to sell the cube!
  • njee20

Not really, race courses have got more technical, so the bikes have adapted. My 'trail' bike had 140mm forks, but still had a longer stem and narrower bars than my current race bike, and the same width tyres, which at the time seemed wide!
  • ilovedirt
    njee20 wrote:

Not really, race courses have got more technical, so the bikes have adapted. My 'trail' bike had 140mm forks, but still had a longer stem and narrower bars than my current race bike, and the same width tyres, which at the time seemed wide!
    I think he's trying to say that he's a weirdo and likes his bikes to be twitchy and horrible.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    Twitchy=scary=adrenalin=fun! Not necessarily faster mind.

The less good a bike is "techincally" the slower you go for scaring yourself the same amount, or you can scare yourself more at the same speed! There is a local bumpy downhill section near me (not Downhill) pretty fast (circa 25-30mph in sections) given how rough it is, the guys on the FS's arrive all calm and collected, having near enough paced them down I arrive sweating and with what feels like 50% adrenalin in my veins (which are popping out all over as well).......I'm sure I have the more fun!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    That's why I put 'fun' in inverted commas, I don't have any more, or less, fun than I did 5 years ago (actually I probably do have more, because I'm a marginally better rider), but race bikes have got closer to bikes that are designed for 'having fun' rather than going fast.

Not necessarily a linear correlation though!
  • ilovedirt
    full sus and relaxed geometry makes you more comfortable, which makes you ride faster, and faster = more fun to me!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • njee20
    For me fun is feeling like I absolutely nailed a trail, the actual speed is immaterial (although Strava has helped to kill some of that enthusiasm dead when it proves I was actually going rather slowly), but to that end riding something 'less advanced' and getting pin balled off everything doesn't actually make it any more fun for me.
  • ilovedirt
    It does if you're getting pinballed off everything on a hardtail and still manage to set a good time, that's always a nice feeling :D
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • njee20
    But that's retrospective fun, rather than in the moment!
  • The Rookie
    Depends whether your chasing a mate on £4K of 150mm FS while doing it (not that I would be, he'd leave me behind if he was on a Trax TR1 - right up until it broke anyway!)