40T Rear cog - Advise + Mech help

The secret rider
The secret rider Posts: 812
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Currentlly on 32t Front 11/36 rear.

I am needing a harder gear and thinking about going 34T front although i think this may still not be enough but i will then be hampered by climbs if i go to a 36 so ideally would like the following

36T front 11/36 rear cassette with a 40t adaptor ( hope t rex )

Can anyone confirm if this will work with a zee rear mech.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
  • It's a zee so only comes in narrow or wide cage

Mine is a white but I think that's just the difference between road and mtb cassette
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    None of the current Shimano mechs are designed to get as high as that cog, but seem to work ok. You just need to make sure it'll cover the capacity, so in single 40-11 = 29t
  • None of the current Shimano mechs are designed to get as high as that cog, but seem to work ok. You just need to make sure it'll cover the capacity, so in single 40-11 = 29t

This is mech

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do? ... tAods2oApw

Showing as 32/36 ???
  • Chunkers1980
    yep - you need the 32/36t for that then.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I run a T-rex converter with a long cage XT mech, i got enough clearance without changing the B-tension screw. Not sure you would get away with it on a short cage, but its worth giving it a go. The only thing you would need to change is the B screw. Worse thing that would happen is you would have to buy a medium cage mech but if you sell your old one it would cover a majority of that cost.

FWIW i love my t-rex its the best adapter i have bought to date (i have had General Lee, One Up as well) it index's well and works smoothly.
  • yep - you need the 32/36t for that then.

That's the one I have so I'll be ok to run a

36t front + 40t T. Rex rear
  • Russyh wrote:
    I run a T-rex converter with a long cage XT mech, i got enough clearance without changing the B-tension screw. Not sure you would get away with it on a short cage, but its worth giving it a go. The only thing you would need to change is the B screw. Worse thing that would happen is you would have to buy a medium cage mech but if you sell your old one it would cover a majority of that cost.

FWIW i love my t-rex its the best adapter i have bought to date (i have had General Lee, One Up as well) it index's well and works smoothly.

Always used race face NW from ring never dropped the chain but for consistency if like to use a hope front ring too

Any feedback on their narrow wide
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    The Zee has a capacity of 25T but your proposed cassette is 40-11=29T difference. A medium cage SLX has a capacity of 35T so is more suited to the job.
  • mister p wrote:
    The Zee has a capacity of 25T but your proposed cassette is 40-11=29T difference. A medium cage SLX has a capacity of 35T so is more suited to the job.

So what does the 32/36 refer to on the wide cage then ? As it's the wide I have
  • Chunkers1980
    I assume mister p is correct - he's in the know.

The tech docs don't tell you much - I thought that was the capacity but did think it odd listing 2 numbers.
  • mister p
    The 32/36 on it means it is designed to run with a cassette which has a largest sprocket of 32 to 36T.

The tech docs don't usually help much with capacity, you need the Trade Sales And Support Manual for those details.
  • mister p wrote:
    The 32/36 on it means it is designed to run with a cassette which has a largest sprocket of 32 to 36T.

The tech docs don't usually help much with capacity, you need the Trade Sales And Support Manual for those details.

Ok so maybe I call Shimano UK
  • Chunkers1980
    No need - that's fact - he has something to do with Shimano anyways.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Russyh wrote:

Always used race face NW from ring never dropped the chain but for consistency if like to use a hope front ring too

Any feedback on their narrow wide

Hope retainer ring (their wife narrow) has been flawless, beautifully made. Works as it should, really happy with it. But then I was with my raceface so go figure!

As for mech, I would buy the trex and try your existing mech with the adapter screw, if it doesn't work sell the mech and buy a medium cage xt shaddow +
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    mister p wrote:
    Not seen a tech doc without the capacity listed!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    The Zee doesn't have one, just exploded!
  • mister p
    Ok so maybe I call Shimano UK

I can tell you pretty much what they will say. No Shimano mech is designed to work with anything larger than a 36T sprocket, you will void your warranty if you do it. If you decide to do it you will need a medium cage mech as the short cage doesn't have enough capacity.

If you do ring them, say hi from me!