Sutherland on Contador

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited April 2014 in Pro race
VN: Yeah, what’s it like, riding with a star?
RS: It’s awesome. When your captain is so good, obviously the competition is also really strong. But when you have a captain like him, you ride better as well. You want to do the best job you can for him so he can do his job. You’re not going to screw him. The fact is he’s a super nice guy as well. Great guy, very thankful, very respectful, and knows that as long as everyone does their best then he responds really well to that.

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/04/news/sutherland-qa-riding-contador-european-life-ardennes_325080#PshExUFkUFew7xjE.99

Nothing new to me but just from the mouth of another rider for you Contador haters.
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Nothing new to me but just from the mouth of another rider for you Contador haters.
    You seem to think that people like or hate pro riders at a personal level.

I'm not sure how many of us on here are on first name terms with Pro riders, but I'm certainly not one of them - therefore my "love" or "hatred" of a rider is purely on their public persona.

Anyway - why would RS say anything against his captain? That's a surefire way to lose your standing in the team or even your contract completely.... so perhaps take his comments with the pinch of salt they were served with.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Rider says team leader is great guy is hardly news. Everyone says that. Some are sincere, some are not.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    ^^Just another rider or many, with potential ulterior motives or not, who have said the same thing. I would believe it 100%.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    My word you're needy.
  • slowbike
    ^^Just another rider or many, with potential ulterior motives or not, who have said the same thing. I would believe it 100%.
    Do you read the daily mail? Everything they print is true.
  • frenchfighter
    Turfle wrote:
    My word you're needy.

Took you off block a month or so back. Putting you back on again. I conclude you certainly havent finished growing up yet.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    He may very well be a lovely fellow. Ultimately most people are. But why do you care if he is or whether other people think he is. He's a bike rider not your boyfriend.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    One convicted doper praises another convicted doper.

Yawn.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Good to see Bertie getting some nice stuff said about him.
    He'll appreciate the lift, given all the bad doping press he's received in the past day or so.
    He must have mixed emotions about Mick Rogers getting off his clen bust, too.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    The true test of the man was likely shown when under pressure during his doping proceedings ... He rode on as though nothing happened, ruining races for riders and fans alike ...

I think he is a great talent and can excite races on his day ... Also looks like a greasy little sh!t who you couldn't trust as far as you could throw ... But then I only know him from telly and edited interviews ...
  • frenchfighter
    He'll appreciate the lift, given all the bad doping press he's received in the past day or so.

Dont get your hopes up. You must be really struggling this year with Contador tearing it up for the fans and your blue boys looking lost.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:
    He may very well be a lovely fellow. Ultimately most people are. But why do you care if he is or whether other people think he is. He's a bike rider not your boyfriend.

You are all about numbers and stats so I wouldnt expect you to understand human qualities and how that makes a difference.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Turfle wrote:
    My word you're needy.

Took you off block a month or so back. Putting you back on again. I conclude you certainly havent finished growing up yet.

If you'd stop making moronic posts, and maybe watch some cycling from time to time so that you understand it, I'd stop pointing out your moronic posts.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Turfle wrote:
    My word you're needy.

Haha, I got the same one adressed to me, Turfle. I'm not sure why FF keeps mentioning it to people that he puts them on his block list. As it's some sort of loss for us. Like we would possibly give a f...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    I believe the term is 'Directioner'
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    RichN95 wrote:
    Rider says team leader is great guy is hardly news. Everyone says that. Some are sincere, some are not.

I seem to recall one Mr Christopher Froome saying something similar about Sir Bradley Wiggins in 2012 too, funnily enough the reverse has happened this year...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741

Dont get your hopes up. You must be really struggling this year with Contador tearing it up for the fans and your blue boys looking lost.

Movistar?
    I don't have boys, I have races.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

With the maturity thing amongst other things I believe it's called 'psychological projection', it's actually quite an interesting topic.
  • frenchfighter
    mfin wrote:

With the maturity thing amongst other things I believe it's called 'psychological projection', it's actually quite an interesting topic.

Interesting. Not the case with me - I am so comfortable with myself and my life its ridiculous. Interesting nonetheless.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • slowbike
    Interesting. Not the case with me
    Ah - denial ... always the first point of refuge ....
  • Turfle
    ThomThom wrote:
    Turfle wrote:
    My word you're needy.

Haha, I got the same one adressed to me, Turfle. I'm not sure why FF keeps mentioning it to people that he puts them on his block list. As it's some sort of loss for us. Like we would possibly give a f...

Personally, I'm gonna take the opportunity he's given me, and I'll try and grow up.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561

Movistar?
    I don't have boys, I have races.

Or Garmin? FDJ? Its all a bit confusing, Blazing
  • frenchfighter
    Slowbike wrote:

If that makes you feel better that is fine by me.

bettiniphoto_0048744_1_full_download__600.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:

As if I'm bothered?

I just find it amusing that you seem to want to have Contador's babies and keep telling a world who couldn't care less about it ...
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    Bertie is Frenchie's comfort blanket - how sad it is that there is the need to post anything remotely nice said about his hero.
  • frenchfighter
    Slowbike wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

As if I'm bothered?

I just find it amusing that you seem to want to have Contador's babies and keep telling a world who couldn't care less about it ...

That would be difficult.

Shame for you and so many others on here cant feel the same passion for a rider's performances. Joy.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

As if I'm bothered?

That would be difficult.

Shame for you and so many others on here cant feel the same passion for a rider's performances. Joy.

Passion or obsession ... ?

If asked "who is your favourite rider" I'd have to think hard about it - I can appreciate the facets from many different styles of riding - the all out power house able to put in miles and miles at high speed, the flash in the pan sprint, the attack, the death defying descent as well as the steady but fast climb to defy the attackers, the teamwork involved in pulling back or holding onto a break. Any of those can be enjoyable to watch.

About the only thing I demand from the racers is to race fairly.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Another thread about a convicted cheat.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    I don't think Frenchie actually wants us to like Contador. Or be interested in the bland PR utterances of one of his domestiques. I think he just gets a kick out of trying to provoke people. It's the deliberately antagonistic "Contador haters" that gives it away.

Incidentally, I don't know if I'm on block or not. I get that message sometimes when I point out inconsistency or hypocrisy on his part. Don't really care, perhaps I would if I was grown up?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Well, we all know who Contador is, we all know how he performs as a cyclist, most know a little to a lot of his dodgy history. It's all out there and staring in you in the face if you watch some of his 'performances' back.

As far as his personality goes, we're all capable of deciding whether we 'like' Contador or not, there's always gonna be some nutters who've decided he wears a halo and heals lepers with his touch, or love the way he looks in some kind of homo-erotic way.

Fact is, the only two things we really know about him is (1) that he rides a bike and (2) is/has-been a lying cheat ...everything else about him is just personal opinion.

It's good to have villains though! It makes for good entertainment! To me personally he's just another rider that I'm looking forward to seeing cycling without. But in the meantime there's the bonus that at least I can enjoy the odd laugh at the squeaky-voiced berk.