Child carrier on small frame bike

tangled_metal
tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
My partner has a Hamax siesta child seat set up on her 16.5" mtb. The seat prevents it being fitted correctly above the axle of the rear wheel. To use it and use the recline function it has to be fitted too far back on the support bars. This means it bounces badly hitting the pannier rack when she rides over bumps.
Can anyone suggest any solutions? Anyone fitted a Hamax child seat to a small frame bike?
I think Hamax do other shaped bars for non-standard frames. Do they work for smaller bikes? With the step through ladies mtb frames the attachment point b is lower down. Plus the axle of the bike is closer to the seat meaning the child seat is also too far back. I guess we need the support bars to go at a steeper angle then take a step up to raise it above the seat level.

We might have to get a new bike instead. Any suggestions for a small frame hybrid, step through but with space on seat tube higher up for the Hamax bracket? Might have to get a man's version.

Comments

• Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Get a trailer
  • tangled_metal
    Got a Burley but a child seat is needed for them to commute. Can't take the trailer onto trains here only bikes. Plus the seat is better for those quick decisions to go out for a ride.
  • ViperS15
    ViperS15 Posts: 61
    I've only just seen this. Hamax 100% do a bar to fit onto a small frame. It has a little kink in it to avoid contact with the saddle. http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Hamax-Extra-Bar ... _53272.htm

Have you got a photo of your bike? I might be able to advise if it'll fit on ok.
  • tangled_metal
    Just looked at your link and a close up of the different bars especially where they put the seat in relation to the rear axle. My fitting instructions say that there is a cross in a circle on the side of the seat. This needs to be no more than 10cm from the vertical line from the centre of the axle. The images on that link appear to be further back than that. Assuming they are the seat would bounce excessively. That's what's happening with our seat. The bar with the link to go around the seat would not bring the seat forward since the obstruction is the bike seat itself. With the child seat and tight against the bike seat the recline can't be used. If further back the recline can be used but the seat bounces a lot and sometimes hits the pannier rack. I just can't see the bent bar working.
    The bike it's on is a 16" mtb with a smaller rear triangle I think. A light frame and it's almost a step through the top tube slopes so much. The seat bar mount is low because of the frame. She's looking at getting a new bike now as a solution.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    My wife had the same problem fitting a Hamax Sleepy Head to her fairly small sized MTB/hybrid. I think I recall there is some adapter available. However it fits fine to her Pashley Sovereign, which she likes anyway for round town, shopping, etc, and taking the 3 yo to nursery, so we did that.

The Croozer is the preferred choice for longer trips, holidays, etc, but as you say it's not always an option.