When should you replace your quick-release skewers?

ju5t1n
ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
edited April 2014 in Road general
Saw this artice earlier...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/04/ ... ers_324363

Anyone ever had a QR skewer fail on them?

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Not in 31 years, on road, off-road, up and down kerbs, over potholes etc.. No.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    My previous MTB lasted 17 years regularly going off road on various trails with no QR problems.
  • Is this a quiz?

When they look like they are going to fail?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I had a nasty one this time last year when my front wheel fell off (there's a thread on here with photos). On inspection the qr skewer had rusted into the hub so while it might have felt clamped up properly, only the dropout next to the lever was clamped.

Rusty skewer? Time for replacement.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    craker wrote:
    I had a nasty one this time last year when my front wheel fell off (there's a thread on here with photos). On inspection the qr skewer had rusted into the hub so while it might have felt clamped up properly, only the dropout next to the lever was clamped.

Rusty skewer? Time for replacement.

I tend to clean my QR's every couple of months and regrease them which might explain the lack of problems.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Kajjal wrote:
    I tend to clean my QR's every couple of months and regrease them which might explain the lack of problems.

I find this approach works with pretty much everything on a bike - look after it, keep it in good repair and it will last a long time. These things tend not to rust overnight, early intervention and prevention is the key.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I dunno - next you'll all be telling me that you don't replace your bars every two years. Won't somebody think of the children?!.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Do crusty cyclists look like this?

crustypunk997868555.jpg

*Dog on a string is compulsory
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Rolf F wrote:
    I dunno - next you'll all be telling me that you don't replace your bars every two years. Won't somebody think of the children?!.......
    I always carry spare handlebars on every ride, just in case of disaster. Can't be too careful nowadays!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Only time I destroyed a QR was when a hub seized and the QR became the axle while the axle chewed it's way up the drop outs.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    Again, that's just poor maintenance.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I usually replace them when I replace my chain, so probably every 1k and the carbon bars get thrown after about 10k because I can no longer trust them, I ditched my last set of Mavic SLs after 10k because I was assured that the rims will only last that long.
    Safety comes first in my life.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I easily get 2 - 3 frames out of 1 chain.
  • Giraffoto
    Bozman wrote:
    I usually replace them when I replace my chain, so probably every 1k and the carbon bars get thrown after about 10k because I can no longer trust them, I ditched my last set of Mavic SLs after 10k because I was assured that the rims will only last that long.

Just out of curiosity of course . . . when do you put your bins out?
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • I replace QR's if they look crap. Like the ones that came with my Campag Boras. Monstrosities.
  • Kajjal wrote:

I hope this post isn't serious.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    Kajjal wrote:

Why not, when I do a full clean (ie taking out the wheels etc) I regrease the threads and skewer itself.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Kajjal wrote:

Why not, when I do a full clean (ie taking out the wheels etc) I regrease the threads and skewer itself.

"which might explain the lack of problems"

ergo if you didn't clean and regrease them every couple of months, it would lead to problems.

They're QR skewers ffs.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Kajjal wrote:

"which might explain the lack of problems"

ergo if you didn't clean and regrease them every couple of months, it would lead to problems.

They're QR skewers ffs.

How often do you check yours?

Over winter the rear skewer got "checked" quite frequently when changing over to the turbo ... others got checked as we packed the bikes away in the bags for our cycling holiday.
    Otherwise, the skewer itself doesn't get checked other than the usual removal of wheels for some job or other when the skewers get released and turned.... never felt stiff otherwise I'd probably start to worry ...
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Bozman wrote:
    Replacement doesn't necessarily equal safety you know?

Chain replacement every 1k is ridiculous unless you're using a particularly poor wearing chain and lubricating it with tungsten carbide filings. Incidentally what's the safety issue you're addressing by replacing the chain?
    If safety really came first in your life surely you'd only cycle on a turbo trainer and could dispense with all these replacements. Let's be honest - you like having shiny new stuff on your bike! :wink:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

Chain replacement every 1k is ridiculous unless you're using a particularly poor wearing chain and lubricating it with tungsten carbide filings. Incidentally what's the safety issue you're addressing by replacing the chain?
    If safety really came first in your life surely you'd only cycle on a turbo trainer and could dispense with all these replacements. Let's be honest - you like having shiny new stuff on your bike! :wink:

I don't think Bozman could find the ironic font.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

Back in the real world ......... I've yet to replace a skewer in 20 odd years but I do chop and change a lot, chains usually 3.5K, 3 chains to a cassette, my SLs had roughly 25 summer Ks on them and were still fine before I passed them on.

I purchased my first proper road bike in the early 90s(Dyna tech 725i)and I probably covered 30/35k on it, it was also lent to various friends as a commuter. In that time and being rather nieve I only replaced the tyres and bar tape but everything ran fine until one of the 105 shifters packed up nearly 18 years later.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Apologies Bozman! (Although to be fair it's hard to pull off sufficient contrast with real silly comments around here to mske irony and sarcasm work!)
    I'm relieved for your sake....
  • Giraffoto
    Bozman wrote:
    Back in the real world ......... I've yet to replace a skewer in 20 odd years but I do chop and change a lot, chains usually 3.5K, 3 chains to a cassette, my SLs had roughly 25 summer Ks on them and were still fine before I passed them on.

I purchased my first proper road bike in the early 90s(Dyna tech 725i)and I probably covered 30/35k on it, it was also lent to various friends as a commuter. In that time and being rather nieve I only replaced the tyres and bar tape but everything ran fine until one of the 105 shifters packed up nearly 18 years later.

So let's get this straight - I should be hanging around someone else's bins?

I check them from time to time - just a glance to see that they're not rusty, usually when I take a wheel off - and that's about it. A few years back now I did find one of them was holding a broken rear axle together, but they've never needed replacing. Just a clean with a rag and a new smear of grease occasionally.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    Having read this thread I think I need to replace my bins.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    pipipi wrote:
    Having read this thread I think I need to replace my bins.

If you fill your bins with too much irony they may split and then where will you be?
    Faster than a tent.......