As above, if the uk people want to run it I have just applied, number 51000

They close at 125000
Kev
PlanetX Pro Carbon
Voodoo Bizango

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    A few years ago in a moment of madness I put my name in the ballot, just as well I missed out :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Thanks for this!
    KevChallis wrote:
    They close at 125000

Are you sure they close at 125000, I've just entered and was given a reference number ~225000
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    That's what they said :/ maybe you were the last lol
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    To make getting a place for those who want one easier, I won't apply this year like previous and future years :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Ive f*cking missed it. :(

Now closed.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • buckmulligan
    Ive f*cking missed it. :(

Now closed.

Really?! Yes you're right. That was quick, glad I got mine in sharpish!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    What's the point in limiting entries for a ballot?!

I'm no. 256483 FWIW.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Just out of interest, have any of you that are entering this year entered before and if so did you get through the ballot?

I've run it twice, once through a charity place and once through the ballot. I have not entered for the last couple of years though.
  • buckmulligan
    I haven't run it before.

I've been a casual runner for a few years, but started taking it a lot more seriously this year. I'm very much against the seemingly common running mentality that longer is better and running a marathon is the holy grail that every runner should be training towards; in fact I probably prefer the middle-distances (5km and 10km) and chasing down a target-time, which I find a bit harder to do at longer distances.

Having said all that, I'd love to do the London Marathon whilst I'm living here and I know entries are very hard to come by (unless you commit to a charity place) so I figure I'd better get applying this year anyway, even if I'm not 100% ready by the time it rolls around next year.

FWIW a girl in my office said she's entered the ballot for the last 8 years and never been successful! Not sure if that's representative or not, but that's why I won't be 'donating' my entry fee regardless of whether I get a place...
  • KevChallis
    This is now the sixth year I have entered, I haven't got in any of the previous years, I'm not even a very good runner anymore, I just want to do it, it's one of those things that I have always wanted to do
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I have run it before,but not via a ballot place,I too have put in for the last 7 years !!

Having said that I also know people that have got in on their 1st effort.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Don't you get an automatic place if you've been rejected 5 times? I think you used to...

I did No 2 to 10 before it all got stoopid. Haven't bothered since
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I have applied for the first time this year. Know a few who have applied but none have made it through the ballot. Have a couple of ultras lined up this year and assuming I don't get in I may set about trying to achieve a fast for age group time. I may just about be able to get down to the required 3:15 but suspect that is right on my limits of capability (if not completely beyond them). Don't really know though as I've only be running properly for the last 2 years and that is almost all off road.
  • KevChallis
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Don't you get an automatic place if you've been rejected 5 times? I think you used to...

I did No 2 to 10 before it all got stoopid. Haven't bothered since

You used to, they don't do this any more
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • buckmulligan
    morstar wrote:
    I have applied for the first time this year. Know a few who have applied but none have made it through the ballot. Have a couple of ultras lined up this year and assuming I don't get in I may set about trying to achieve a fast for age group time. I may just about be able to get down to the required 3:15 but suspect that is right on my limits of capability (if not completely beyond them). Don't really know though as I've only be running properly for the last 2 years and that is almost all off road.

They're always bringing down the Good for Age times, although this year I believe they were unchanged. Either way you'd better get training soon, it could be sub 3 hours before long!
  • southdownswolf
    regarding the 5 and in rule, that was stopped the second year that Virgin took over sponsorship. I was due to get in on the 5 and in rule that year but obviously was not entitled to it. I put in a complaint to VLM about how they had changed all the rules and made it unfair as they had not announced what was going to be done. Surprisingly I was given a place!
    Now that I have run it a couple of times, I would much rather do alternative marathons rather than all the hassle that goes with London.
    It is definitely a "done once, tick it off" event now. I will probably feel similar about the RideLondon-Surrey 100cycle later this year...
  • southdownswolf

They're always bringing down the Good for Age times, although this year I believe they were unchanged. Either way you'd better get training soon, it could be sub 3 hours before long!

I think that they have only reduced the times once in about the last 10 years, which was by 5 mins if I remember correctly.
    I would imagine that they look at the times of people applying each year and base the time for the following year on how many people they would like to run in that category. Really this is a time that SHOULD be getting lower as people have better knowledge of training and nutrition, so should be getting quicker. Same with the Championship standard qualification time.
  • morstar

I think that they have only reduced the times once in about the last 10 years, which was by 5 mins if I remember correctly.
    I would imagine that they look at the times of people applying each year and base the time for the following year on how many people they would like to run in that category. Really this is a time that SHOULD be getting lower as people have better knowledge of training and nutrition, so should be getting quicker. Same with the Championship standard qualification time.

Oh dear, you two aren't filling me with hope! Mate of mine has been chasing sub 3 hours for a couple of years now and ran 3:00:39 in this years race having cramped in the last mile or so. Ouch!
  • southdownswolf
    morstar wrote:

Oh dear, you two aren't filling me with hope! Mate of mine has been chasing sub 3 hours for a couple of years now and ran 3:00:39 in this years race having cramped in the last mile or so. Ouch!

Morstar, best bet to get under 3:15, presuming that you train correctly and are physically capable of getting near the time, is to pick a smallish race with a flat/downhill profile. Might sound obvious, but some of the bigger events can make a difference of 1-2 mins even if you start near the front due to congestion.
    As for your friend, gutting! Maybe not enough water/electrolytes drunk.....?
  • morstar
    morstar wrote:

Morstar, best bet to get under 3:15, presuming that you train correctly and are physically capable of getting near the time, is to pick a smallish race with a flat/downhill profile. Might sound obvious, but some of the bigger events can make a difference of 1-2 mins even if you start near the front due to congestion.
    As for your friend, gutting! Maybe not enough water/electrolytes drunk.....?

Sound advice there. Have a couple of ultras lined up for this year as primary events and will then switch to some faster running in pursuit of marathon times. Fits nicely with aim to do Ironman next summer.