Motoring article that's informative

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited April 2014 in Commuting chat
http://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/cycl ... oad-_62617

Starts with:
Why do cyclists ride in the middle of the road? Because they're allowed to: a poster from the Department for Transport advises "Cyclists. Ride central on narrow roads." think.direct.gov.uk/cycling.html

However, the best bit is that the site moderators are CLEARLY removing all posts in the comments section that blather on about Road Tax.

(it is actually a good article)
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Good find, link it in all future Daily Fail cycling story comments section.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

But they might vote me down. How would I cope?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047

But they might vote me down. How would I cope?

Write a script to make a bazillion DM logins and have them all vote it to the top.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    I like this article, particularly as it's in a motoring magazine. So true, but sadly I suspect a lot of drivers simply won't believe it. I have this 'discussion' regularly with my non cycling colleagues who lambast me for taking primary going through pedestrian island pinch points. They refuse, however, to understand how that works. Oh well.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    The article was written by Carlton Reid - editor of the industry mag and website bike biz, author of 'roads were not built for cars', main person behind www.ipayroadtax.com and probably one of the main media people involved in cycling for the last 20 years (he was also a presenter on the original cycle show from many moons ago I think).

Also he's big on twitter among cycle campaigner peeps, and really knows his stuff!!