The heli shot at 2.55mins is the best.
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• something like....

berzin_copertina_500.jpg

2009-fiat-grande-punto-abarth-ss-001_100195643_l.jpg
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    What was the reaction of the fans and media at the time?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    This is a good article about a cyclist (strong amateur) who decides to see what doping can do and openly reports on the effects.

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/anabo ... 52736.html
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    also look up the case of Cathal Lombard, Irish distance runner - went from outside 30min for 10,000m to running an Irish record 27.34 (I think, without checking the exact time).
    Only problem was he was ordering EPO online and getting it sent to his home address, which wasn't very clever for a Solicitor. Eventually caught.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Fleche 94. Take a look at Gweiss :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3rZphEtzSM

The heli shot at 2.55mins is the best.
    Not even subtle. I guess this is why we need race radio... :roll:
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    also look up the case of Cathal Lombard, Irish distance runner - went from outside 30min for 10,000m to running an Irish record 27.34 (I think, without checking the exact time).
    Only problem was he was ordering EPO online and getting it sent to his home address, which wasn't very clever for a Solicitor. Eventually caught.

:shock:

What the....
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    NapoleonD wrote:
    This is a good article about a cyclist (strong amateur) who decides to see what doping can do and openly reports on the effects.

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/anabo ... 52736.html

I remember reading that not long after it was first posted. The way I feel today, HGH sounds very attractive all of a sudden...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • DL1987 wrote:

Pretty cynical - it was about this time as my memory serves (and particularly Furlan's win in Milan-SR for Gewiss earlier that spring) that questions in Cycling Weekly started to be asked about the increasing speeds in the Italian peloton. The good old boys told them nothing was happening and to keep their noses out of things that didn't concern them, but from then on EPO was more or less an open secret.
  • DL1987 wrote:

"After the Fleche Wallone of 1994, French sports newspaper L'Équipe interviewed the team’s doctor Michele Ferrari. Journalist Jean-Michel Rouet asked Ferrari if his riders used EPO to which Ferrari denied prescribing the drug but said he would not find it wrong, saying that it was not dangerous and compared taking EPO to drinking orange juice. This remark generated controversy and Ferrari later stepped down as team doctor."
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • something like....

berzin_copertina_500.jpg

OT I know but if you want to pump up a 500 you can't do much better than a 580hp Lambo mash up;
    Ommedi-Fiat-500-Lamborghini-24-800x533.jpg

better than another thread about drug taking
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    I wonder why we haven't evolved to naturally have a higher red blood cell count in our blood, given how effective it is.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    something like....

berzin_copertina_500.jpg

Ha, that's nothing, this is a freind of a friends car, looks different now but this is the best shot I could find of it popping a wheelie. Eat your heart out Sagan!

Edit, hadn't seen the Lambo one, that's batshit!

martyn_taylor_bj07dj.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I wonder why we haven't evolved to naturally have a higher red blood cell count in our blood, given how effective it is.
    Because it doesn't really give any significant advantage in people's day to day lives. Few people through history have had to perform at the level of a world class athlete. Other variables confer far greater advantages.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bdu98252
    bdu98252 Posts: 171
    Probably because it is not very healthy in the long run to have a low resting heart rate and blood as thick as syrup. That is if you get to the long run and a few young cyclists have learnt to their cost.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Rick - Read The Sports Gene.

:lol:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    DL1987 wrote:
    It really was the first time the general cycling public started to have an idea that something radically different was going on from the effects of doping in the past. EPO had been an influence for a couple of years, and there was some awareness of its existence, but not, as far as I can remember for ordinary fans that its impact was so different from stimulants and such.
    It really was a watershed moment - before, doping was a bit something naughty riders shouldn't do, but without major impact in the grand scheme of things; after the Fleche 94 more articles started to appear treating doping as something that could change riders.

That being said, I was a naive teenager at the time, so others could remember it differently
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I thought this thread was going to be a link to Contador and Rasmussen in '07
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

Ooooooor you tell me the salient bit and paraphrase??
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:

Ooooooor you tell me the salient bit and paraphrase??
    High blood counts are bad news if you want to avoid malaria. That's a bit I can remember.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah. I see.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    RichN95 wrote:
    Because it doesn't really give any significant advantage in people's day to day lives. Few people through history have had to perform at the level of a world class athlete. Other variables confer far greater advantages.
    Most evolutionary changes are geared towards giving an advantage in breeding so we can propagate our genes.
  • RichN95.
    curium wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Most evolutionary changes are geared towards giving an advantage in breeding so we can propagate our genes.
    And the biggest advantage to breeding is surviving to breeding age.
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    I'm on EPO due to a slowly deteriorating kidney transplant function (it has lasted 21 years so far so can't complain) and from a medicinal perspective it is a wonder drug. Last year at this time my red blood count was so low I couldn't walk upstairs without feeling faint but I then began weekly EPO injections and I am commuting 10 miles a day and doing a 50 mile ride at the weekend. I am closely monitored by my renal unit as the main side effect has been high(er) blood pressure which in turn affects kidney function. My EPO is produced by Amgen which I have always found ironic given that they sponsor the Tour of California.

Side effects listed on the leaflet enclosed with my injections are:

Very Common (>10 people per 1000)
    Hypertension
    Allergic reactions

Common (>1 person per 1000)
    Stroke
    Pain around injection site
    Rash

Uncommon (>1 person per 1000)
    Blood clots
    Convulsions

Frequency Unknown
    Pure red cell aphasia

Unfortunately my dreams of becoming a professional cyclist at the age of 42 have now evaporated so I might just set up my own clinic out the back of my camper van if anyone needs a helping hand with their club run race to the coffee shop..........I am will be cheaper than Ferrrari although results are not guaranteed and I won't really have a clue what I am doing :-)
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    something like....

berzin_copertina_500.jpg

For those that don't know who this is: 1994 Giro winner Eugeni Berzin
  • brucey72 wrote:
    I
    Frequency Unknown
    Pure red cell aphasia

)

Aplasia - aphasias something quite different
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    Yes, aplasia not aphasia (autocorrect)
  • skylla wrote:
    something like....

berzin_copertina_500.jpg

For those that don't know who this is: 1994 Giro winner Eugeni Berzin

yes and third in Fleche that year - what the OP referred to...
  • And also won Liege Bastogne Liege that year.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Imagine being the last rider to lose the wheels of the Gewiss trio in '94... How would you react to that? I can't quite make out who it is but I think he's wearing the World Champs jersey...
  • rick_chasey
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Imagine being the last rider to lose the wheels of the Gewiss trio in '94... How would you react to that? I can't quite make out who it is but I think he's wearing the World Champs jersey...

Armstrong.

(Subtlety fail)