F-Type Coupe R

Oh Marone
Oh Marone Posts: 261
edited April 2014 in The Crudcatcher
Makes a noise that is almost as dirty as GT's mum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d1N97X2BA0

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    The Jag is lovely, I've looked at the F Type coupes outside my local dealership. A bloke visited one of the houses in our culdesac in and F Type R this evening and gave it a good bootful of revs, it sounded delicious.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Too bad Jags are only driven by old men who play golf :-)
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    One of the big cheeses at work has a Jag F type R and a Mercedes SLS63. Both make very rude noises but the jag is slightly naughtier.
    He is afflicted with ginger hair though so probably still can't get laid even with the cars and money.
  • shoddy
    shoddy Posts: 63
    Its fake. The popping and banking on downshifts is designed into the map in the ECU.
    Since cars evolved from running carbs to computer controlled fuel injection they just wont do that.
    Its a bit like the synthetic engine noise BMW plays into the cabin of some of the M cars.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    shoddy wrote:
    Its fake. The popping and banking on downshifts is designed into the map in the ECU.
    Since cars evolved from running carbs to computer controlled fuel injection they just wont do that.
    Its a bit like the synthetic engine noise BMW plays into the cabin of some of the M cars.

The popping sounds on an idling V8 is the best sort of pop. You can hear just how good it sounds in the link i posted above.
  • Kowalski675
    edited April 2014
    shoddy wrote:

Tell that to my (correctly mapped) StripleR, as it's barking through downshifts and popping on the overrun through it's Arrow race system. Shame you can't do killshift backfires with FI systems though, and they'll never match the seamless analogue fuel delivery of a well set up bank of CV carbs (although that's not an issue in a car when you've got all that weight and drivetrain losses to dampen out the snatchy response).
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    One of the big cheeses at work has a Jag F type R and a Mercedes SLS63. Both make very rude noises but the jag is slightly naughtier.
    He is afflicted with ginger hair though so probably still can't get laid even with the cars and money.

Envy is a terrible thing :wink:
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    shoddy wrote:

Correct.
    shoddy wrote:

A sweeping statement and, consequently, wrong. There are plenty of tuned engines, running injection, that pop like m**********rs. Annoyingly so, in some/many cases.

Getting the car to pop and fart whilst maintaining emissions standards, however - now, there's a trick, and in the Jags case, it took the poor b*****d about 3 months to sort. Needlessly so, in my book. But I doubt I'm their target market. :lol:
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Cant you go down the redneck route to get popping? Drill a hole in your exhaust, thread it, screw a spark plug in, wire it up so you can just push a button to ignite the spark plug, and burn any unburnt fuel coming through the exhaust.

And take it a step further with getting a remap to get your engine to overfuel slightly?
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Strap on a turbo and get anti-lag! That will do it :-)
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    It aint no 330d though.
  • shoddy wrote:

Yup.. the new clio can now make GT-R noises come through the car speakers in time with the engine revs using the "soundgenerator".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cFE6kGHY7o

Its so turd.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    BigAl wrote:

Envy is a terrible thing :wink:

Not as terrible as the sun burn on a ginger who regularly has to visit the middle east.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Briggo wrote:
    It aint no 330d though.
    335d Tourer.
    Most awesome car ever in the history of the world.
    Are you Surfmatt?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Clank wrote:
    Getting the car to pop and fart whilst maintaining emissions standards, however - now, there's a trick

I really wish we could just tell the tree huggers to f**k off. With large capacity bikes it's now almost impossible to get them through EU emmissions homologation tests without stupid wanky ride-by-wire throttles ("hello, I'm Mr ECU, and even though you're telling me you want 100% throttle, I'm only going to let you have 60% right now"...), and on some (notably big KTMs) it's virtually essential to have a remap to get them properly rideable. Thankfully emmissions aren't part of MOT testing (yet...), so you can fit a proper exhaust, bin the catalytic converter, get a custom remap, switch off the O2 sensor, secondary air injection and all that hippy crap and have the engine that the designers wanted you to have, without having to worry about conforming to EU shite.
  • Kowalski675
    Yup.. the new clio can now make GT-R noises come through the car speakers in time with the engine revs using the "soundgenerator".

Its so turd.

I remember seeing that on Top Gear, it was indeed massively turd. :lol:

I've driven a GT-R, it was rather nice.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    all I've heard in this thread is "blah blah blahdee blah, blah" :lol:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    cooldad wrote:
    Briggo wrote:
    It aint no 330d though.
    335d Tourer.
    Most awesome car ever in the history of the world.
    Are you Surfmatt?

Ah shit yeah 335d tourer, forgot that bit.

I wish I was surfmatt, I can only stand in his awe.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    shoddy wrote:

Clearly it's not 'fake' as it's fuel burning in the exhaust, it's not fake like the Clio's sounds, it may be contrived, but that isn't the same thing!

Car manufacturers have been doing stuff like this for years, the many cars have a small tube from airbox to cabin so you can hear more engine noise (Mini Cooper S with Supercharger noise) and many have pops and bangs on lift off (MCS again) and all exhausts designed have been designed to emit a noise relative to what customers of the marque expect.....better than being totally characterless!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.