Advice I'd give to my younger self

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited April 2014 in The cake stop
Time for a new thread. So many possibilities, but for starters:

Unless required to do so by law, don't waste your money on insurance. Save the premium (but don't spend it :) ). You'll likely be better off in the long run.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Easy one. To my 21 year old self. Don't give up cycling! Just because you're now working full time doesn't mean you have no time for anything. You're still single, have no kids and have your weekends free so keep at it. Don't give up and end up starting again 12 years later.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Easy one. To my 21 year old self. Don't give up cycling! Just because you're now working full time doesn't mean you have no time for anything. You're still single, have no kids and have your weekends free so keep at it. Don't give up and end up starting again 12 years later.

+1 - I had so many interests when I was a kid, sport, music etc. and gave them all up when I was 18 or so as I thought I didn't have time. I spent from my late 20s to mid 30s trying to re-capture that enjoyment, but was worse off for 10yrs less experience.

Work hard at your job/life/anything else, but don't expect to perfect at things straight away. The less pressure you put on yourself, the more you'll enjoy it, and the better you'll be. In a nutshell, enjoy the journey.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    To my teenage self:

You can actually do maths and science if you work hard on it. Don't lose confidence. And don't go to university to study f'ing Politics.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Read the signs and do your mate's sister when you get the chance.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Think very hard about your choice of career, it's a long old slog to be doing something you don't enjoy :roll:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Drinking isn't a competitive sport. Keep yourself in shape.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    edited April 2014
    As per Mark, except at 25, don't stop sport no matter how much fun you are having.

It gets harder and harder to regain lost fitness as you get older.

Fortunately I was given good advice when I was 18 and decided to follow it so none of the others apply.

Here it was:- Life is short and the years get shorter every year so grab every opportunity that comes you way, when it comes, not tomorrow. You will regret what you have not done more than what you have done.

Edit:- PS, for girls/women, make and hold more eye contact. It may seem silly but it is often as not more important than what you are saying. Yes, her eyes are up there!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Don't waste time on internet forums...
  • Self improvement is masturbation
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    The obvious "taken more notice at school and college" would of had a few more qualifications and would of been living in New Zealand or Canada as i wanted to do,as it would of been easier to emigrate that way,
    and like a few more on here not given up riding when i was 19 then to take it up again at 26 the 7-8 years out made a massive difference
    me-109 a very good point "not my mates sister" but a few women went through my hands,when i decided i had more interest at the bar
  • Easy

Sell everything you own and buy the best road bike you can get, then join a club and get racing.

Oh, and don`t waste time doing jobs you don`t enjoy. Money isn`t everything.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Let's try the blue pill.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Slow down you idiot there's a tractor round that bend...
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    No, you won't go blind.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Further to the above.

Even if it does make you blind, it is worth risking one eye.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    To teenage / school years self:
    Don't settle for being average at everything. By the time you are in your 20s you will realise that you if you apply yourself you will find that, within reason, you can learn whatever you want. Also, don't worry that you look young for your age and don't get served in pubs or fit in with the "cool kids". This will come back and pay dividends in later life, and bring a smile to your face when you see the state of some of the people who mocked you for it.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Further to the above.

Even if it does make you blind, it is worth risking one eye.

:shock: who said that?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    1) Start your pension
    2) If you knew how infrequently people thought about you, you'd care a lot less about what they thought of you.
    Insert bike here:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    johnfinch wrote:
    To my teenage self:
    . And don't go to university to study f'ing Politics.

Pretty much this
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • "Listen to everyone, trust no-one, decide alone."

I wish I had ben less easily led when I was younger, and more independently-minded. I made all manner of life and lifestyle choices which, at the time, I thought were the default, but actually were nonsense. What makes this advice useful to my younger self, is that I knew that the choices I was making and being made for me were nonsense.

What an idiot.

I'd also tell my younger self to steer clear of a couple of ex-girlfriends too...
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    "Listen to everyone, trust no-one, decide alone."

I wish I had ben less easily led when I was younger, and more independently-minded. I made all manner of life and lifestyle choices which, at the time, I thought were the default, but actually were nonsense. What makes this advice useful to my younger self, is that I knew that the choices I was making and being made for me were nonsense.

Much wisdom here.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Yes, Apple is a rubbish company that is going out of business.
    Trust me though, buy a few shares now as they will not be in a decade.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Do something challenging (climb a mountain, cycle round the world, row across the Atlantic) - life is for living, not sitting behind a desk or behind the wheel of a reps car.

Follow a career that you find interesting and have a passion for - DO NOT do a job just for the money

Never trust anyone - that means anyone you know including family, but especially Freemasons.

Do not get married young. When you both get to your mid 30s and into your 40s you will find that you have different goals, ideals and outlooks on life which can tear you both apart.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Put the cake down! Cricket won't get you fit... what about a bike?
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Do not smoke.
    Anything.
    EVER.
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    Kill yourself now. It's not going to get any better.
  • Do not get seriously involved with a bird too early in life......its not big or clever, nor is the divorce that follows several plus years down the line.
    Do your own thing, talk to lots of 'em, sleep with quite a few of 'em, believe very few of 'em.

(BTW, keep riding your bike......... )
  • Buy more Oakleys.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Shin splints at 21 is your body telling you that running is not going to be your sport. Don't wait another 29 years to switch to cycling - your legs are going to hurt more over time, not less.

Also, don't marry her, you're much too young and despite what you think, you know sod all.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?