Cycling conundrums.

iainment
iainment Posts: 992
edited April 2014 in Commuting chat
Just got my bike, done a couple of rides to start getting back into the swing of it. My big question being why are saddles so hard?
Why don't they just make them comfortable enough to be ridden without padded shorts?
Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
Joseph Gallivan

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The pad serves two purposes: padding and anti-chaffing. Whilst you can achieve the padding through the seat you can't stop the chaffing with the saddle. So you might as well leave the saddle hard(ish) and wear padded shorts. If a hard saddle is the right shape, it can be pretty comfortable (I'm a Spesh Toupe man myself) and, in any case, your butt will grow accustomed to it - takes a bit of regular riding (a week or so).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    iainment wrote:
    Just got my bike, done a couple of rides to start getting back into the swing of it. My big question being why are saddles so hard?
    Why don't they just make them comfortable enough to be ridden without padded shorts?

Give it time, I ride to and from work in civvies and the odd roll into London.

Some saddles you never like, I changed out the Giant connect saddle on the new Mtb as I found it uncomftable, a charge spoon alike and I'm much more comfty.
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    That makes sense. Thank you.

I'll come back with any more qs.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    ya ass is to soft :shock: ! your get used to saddles with time nothing to worry about
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    As usual, Sheldon says it best.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!