Missing keys

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited April 2014 in Commuting chat
well it finally happened, last night I lost my bag containing amongst other things my garmin and my keys :roll:

normally missing keys wouldnt be a problem however the two locks i use at the station now both only have/had one key, yup!

idiot I know, so i guess tomorrow I'll be mostly hacksawing my way through 2 d-locks, what a ball ache!
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    How?
  • itboffin
    JZed wrote:
    How?

dude email me i'll send photos
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I once lost my bag. Work laptop, glasses, keys, everything in it. Had to go into work and explain I had no idea where or when I'd lost it. A few hours later reception called up with someone wanting to speak to me. A taxi driver had it and wanted £100 to drive it to Guildford. I ended up meeting a dodgy taxi driver in Clapham and retrieving my bag for £30 in the end.
  • itboffin
    JZed wrote:
    I once lost my bag. Work laptop, glasses, keys, everything in it. Had to go into work and explain I had no idea where or when I'd lost it. A few hours later reception called up with someone wanting to speak to me. A taxi driver had it and wanted £100 to drive it to Guildford. I ended up meeting a dodgy taxi driver in Clapham and retrieving my bag for £30 in the end.

yeah check your email you'll see why i've never getting my bag back :roll:
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Oh dear, it would seem it boffin has fallen for the old "hooker steals bag" scam.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    id like to see why you not getting your bag back too!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • itboffin
    IMG_20140418_155334.jpg

this
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    Sorry to hear/see that, ITB.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • goonz
    Ah shit man, sorry to find that out. Thats just wrong. Hope you managed to get a few swings in for yourself.
  • itboffin
    goonz wrote:
    Ah shoot man, sorry to find that out. Thats just wrong. Hope you managed to get a few swings in for yourself.

actually i was in the wrong and hit someone first which is totally not me at all, in fact the two of us not only did the very English thing and apologised afterwards but we went for a drink and food :lol:

as you do

spur of the moment stupidity (booze) on both parts but i guess the good thing to take away from this is both of us instantly realised we'd been really stupid, and reverted to grown ups again, well as grown up as men can be.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    itboffin wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    Ah shoot man, sorry to find that out. Thats just wrong. Hope you managed to get a few swings in for yourself.

actually i was in the wrong and hit someone first which is totally not me at all, in fact the two of us not only did the very English thing and apologised afterwards but we went for a drink and food :lol:

as you do

spur of the moment stupidity (booze) on both parts but i guess the good thing to take away from this is both of us instantly realised we'd been really stupid, and reverted to grown ups again, well as grown up as men can be.

Oops!
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    So, you got in a fight with someone, then immediately afterwards shook hands and made up, how did this lead to you losing your bag?

Did you say 'Sorry about that mate, take my bag by way of apology - I particularly insist you keep my keys'?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Oh dear. If I laugh at you on the 2nd do you promise not to hit me?
  • goonz
    So you basically didnt get mugged but got in a drunken brawl?

Did you leave your bag in a pub/bar etc?
  • itboffin
    goonz wrote:
    So you basically didnt get mugged but got in a drunken brawl?

Did you leave your bag in a pub/bar etc?

Not even a brawl just a couple of blows then we were both like er WTF are we doing and stopped, the bag I suspect i left behind somewhere and to top it all off on my way to the station i managed to drop and lose my phone :x
  • itboffin
    anyway back on the theme of this thread, as i said keys are gone so i was left with a couple of options

try and cut both the dlocks myself or call a locksmith, which btw wanted £75 + VAT

well i took my trusty junior hacksaw and gave it a go, nothing not even a scratch on the metal, so i went to wickes and bought a bigger hacksaw and some spare blades, these also did bugger all in fact one blade shattered and the other went blunt in seconds.

FECK :evil:

I was contemplating the locksmith when i remembered the garage across the road, so a quick chat with the owner and he pulls a cordless angle grinder from the draw, sure enough it cuts through both locks in < 10s

damn its easy to steal a bike with the right tool
  • Dalton
    Dalton Posts: 265
    I bet no one approached you while you were busy hacksawing/ angle grinding locks off the bike either?
  • itboffin
    Dalton wrote:
    I bet no one approached you while you were busy hacksawing/ angle grinding locks off the bike either?

I know that station staff, 8 years of commuting by bike everyday but i did pop into the office and tell them what i was doing first, besides the bike parking is inside a steel barred caged area with CCTV and you need a swipe card to get in, that i hadn't lost.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    itboffin wrote:
    you need a swipe card to get in, that i hadn't lost.

priorities......
  • itboffin
    apart from the cut around the eye socket and the lovely shiner i have, i seem to be developing spots of blood on my eyeball clearly this is a good thing no?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Yay, garmin phone and keys gone but you retained your swipe card... Result!
  • rjsterry
    itboffin wrote:
    well i took my trusty junior hacksaw and gave it a go, nothing not even a scratch on the metal, so i went to wickes and bought a bigger hacksaw and some spare blades, these also did bugger all in fact one blade shattered and the other went blunt in seconds.

FECK :evil:

I was contemplating the locksmith when i remembered the garage across the road, so a quick chat with the owner and he pulls a cordless angle grinder from the draw, sure enough it cuts through both locks in < 10s

damn its easy to steal a bike with the right tool

Teehee. Was going to suggest a cordless grinder - a hacksaw is good for mild steel only*. Did you shower the bike cage with sparks?

* I once needed to cut down a 3mm surgical steel rod for some project or other - took me about 20 minutes to cut through with a junior hacksaw. Art college, eh :roll:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itboffin
    Mikey23 wrote:

campag windproof jacket, rapha hat & collar, expensive work shirt as well :(
  • rjsterry
    itboffin wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

campag windproof jacket, rapha hat & collar, expensive work shirt as well :(

Erk. Expensive evening. Maybe pop up to Moorfields next week if the eye doesn't clear up.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itboffin
    yeah it was that for sure

now the question is do i replace the jacket with a sportful hot pack 5 or a castelli confronto?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    itboffin wrote:
    apart from the cut around the eye socket and the lovely shiner i have, i seem to be developing spots of blood on my eyeball clearly this is a good thing no?

Get it checked. Opticians are usually pretty good, actually.

The eye is mostly avuscular and shouldn't bleed much as a rule. Pay attention to changes in your vision, and don't, for once, MTFU (probably not that likely at your age).

I chose to MTFU a bit and have a handy blind spot in one eye now.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    itboffin wrote:
    yeah it was that for sure

now the question is do i replace the jacket with a sportful hot pack 5 or a castelli confronto?

You seem to have gone to an awful lot of trouble to justify to yourself a new jacket. I can almost, but not quite, imagine your trail of thought processes............
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    davis wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Get it checked. Opticians are usually pretty good, actually.

The eye is mostly avuscular and shouldn't bleed much as a rule. Pay attention to changes in your vision, and don't, for once, MTFU (probably not that likely at your age).

I chose to MTFU a bit and have a handy blind spot in one eye now.

only one blind spot, ghey!