Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport

chazh
chazh Posts: 33
edited April 2014 in Your road bikes
My new steed:

13903377896_afd765727f_c.jpg

Started off as a standard 2014 Roubaix SL4 Sport (61cm frame), but the 105 components were immediately disposed of and Campagnolo Centaur installed in their place, though I kept the FSA chainset as it's BB30 (or the Specialized equivalent) and trying to get a Campag set installed with adaptors is not something I'm keen on trying. Calipers will be upgraded to Centaur as well, but they've not arrived yet.

Full ist of changes from stock:
Campagnolo Centaur Black/Red group set
Campagnolo Scirocco 35 wheels
Deda Zero 100 bars
Deda Zero 2 stem
Elite custom bottle cages
Fizik bar tape

According to the highly scientific method of me standing on the scales holding the bike, it's weighing in at bang on 8.5kg

Took it out for its first decent ride today and I'm extremely pleased!

Comments

• Nice.
    I think your scales are over reading though. I bet it's closer to 8kg in reality.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Nice.
    I think your scales are over reading though. I bet it's closer to 8kg in reality.

I dunno, that's a BIG frame :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Jesus! Good fun riding into a headwind on that thing!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    That is a nice looking bike.

I was possibly looking at getting one of those and am about 6ft6. What height etc. are you and does it fit you OK ?
  • That still looks nice in the large size. I'm a fan!

Best,
    Sean
  • chazh
    Kajjal wrote:
    I was possibly looking at getting one of those and am about 6ft6. What height etc. are you and does it fit you OK ?

I'm 6ft 2, most of which is in the legs, hence the tall seat post and spacers under the stem to get the bars in the right place.

I feel that it fits me well. It's certainly comfortable (I'm not 100% convinced about the Romin saddle but I'll give it a try fora while) but feels very responsive and quick and doesn't seem that big when I'm on it! And in back-to-back tests with my old aluminium bike, there's noticeably more damping out of bumps and 'road buzz' even without the very padded bar tape Specialized supply. I've done a couple of 50+ mile rides on Roubaix bikes now and I've definitely felt fresher for a lot longer than normal when riding them.
  • kajjal
    chazh wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

I'm 6ft 2, most of which is in the legs, hence the tall seat post and spacers under the stem to get the bars in the right place.

I feel that it fits me well. It's certainly comfortable (I'm not 100% convinced about the Romin saddle but I'll give it a try fora while) but feels very responsive and quick and doesn't seem that big when I'm on it! And in back-to-back tests with my old aluminium bike, there's noticeably more damping out of bumps and 'road buzz' even without the very padded bar tape Specialized supply. I've done a couple of 50+ mile rides on Roubaix bikes now and I've definitely felt fresher for a lot longer than normal when riding them.

Thanks that's very helpful, I am over 6ft6 but have a long body so luckily don't have many problems fitting on bikes once I adjust them in a similar way to you have with your bike.
  • chazh
    styxd wrote:
    Jesus! Good fun riding into a headwind on that thing!

:D

Given my size, riding into a headwind on anything is an experience. I am the most popular person among my group of cycling friends though! Plenty of shelter behind me...
  • I am 6,2" and ride a 56 with a slammed stem, perhaps a bike fit would be of benefit to you.
    Building:
    S-Works Venge, Ultegra DI2, Carbon Clinchers
    Race:
    Moda Stretto, Force Groupset, American Classic Carbon 58`s

Winter:
    Whyte Suffolk, Hydro Disks

Retro:
    Tommasini Super Prestige Full Campagnolo C/W Delta`s
  • chazh
    I am 6,2" and ride a 56 with a slammed stem, perhaps a bike fit would be of benefit to you.

I cannot for the life of me imagine fitting myself onto a 56 frame! I've had a bike fit on my previous bike with a similar size frame and the idea that the frame was too big never once was mentioned. Plus it's comfortable for me, or so it seems.

A case of horses for courses maybe?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    nice bike...
  • kajjal
    chazh wrote:
    I am 6,2" and ride a 56 with a slammed stem, perhaps a bike fit would be of benefit to you.

I cannot for the life of me imagine fitting myself onto a 56 frame! I've had a bike fit on my previous bike with a similar size frame and the idea that the frame was too big never once was mentioned. Plus it's comfortable for me, or so it seems.

A case of horses for courses maybe?

It is, some people like a very head down racing position while others prefer a more upright touring position.
  • bigaac
    bigaac Posts: 72
    Thats a big frame for 6"2, especially with that seat post height. nice bike though
  • No complaints from me. It looks great.

I'm a bit of Spesh fan so had to comment.
    Allez 16 - bad weather / turbo trainer
    Tarmac Expert SL3 - test colours
    Dogma 2 - ex Team Sky
  • tigert
    tigert Posts: 8
    Great looking bike. Just ordered a Roubaix myself can't wait until it arrives.
    Trek Emonda SL6
    Trek Madone 9.9 (arriving soon)
    Brompton