collecting parts for build - what have i forgotten

rickbst170
rickbst170 Posts: 228
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Nearly lined everything up now I think. Is there anything missing?
Frame
Headset
Forks
Star nut
Wheels
Tyres
Tubes?
Bars
Brakes
Rotors
mounts
Hoses
Pedals
Shifters
Adapter
Mechs
Crank
38t chainring
Bottom bracket
Seatpost
Clamp
Seat
Cassette
Chain
Grips
Stem
Spacers
Inners
Outers

Cheers all!

Rick

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Bell.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    ferules, joining link, olive and insert for shortening brakes hoses, brake fluid, grease, copper grease, frame protection (helitape)
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    It's a bike, why would copper grease be needed?
  • rickbst170
    Cool, ta. Sounds like I've got all the bits covered then (except bb spacer to run a triple as double).

I've got bearings, bearing grease, threadlocker for those torqued up bolts, fork seals, fork fluid, brake fluid and tool kit on a separate list. it's a second hand build, so parts need a little loving but mechanically sound.
  • shindig
    It's a bike, why would copper grease be needed?
    I use copper grease on all thread assemblies that i want to be able to take parts again i.e bottom bracket,pedal threads, bolts that you don't locktite on. Makes a huge difference when you do your own maintenance. Perhaps i'm juts old school, served my time as a mechanic and have maintained all my motorcycles and MTB's for the last 20 years +.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Don't use either myself.
  • ricardo_smooth
    Marine grease is what most use these days. Yet to see any of the 'youth of today' use copper grease
  • shindig
    Marine grease is what most use these days. Yet to see any of the 'youth of today' use copper grease

Il'l check that out when my tub of copper grease runs out. At the rate i'm using it, that may be many years yet. I bough a 1 kg tub about 10 years sago and yet to make any impression on it :-)
  • rickbst170
    Don't you double space (2 off 2.5mm spacers) when running a triple as double to shift crank and chainline over?
  • ricardo_smooth
    ^^^^^^nope
  • rickbst170
    Ok, cool. Saves me a pound!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do you need a BB shell cable guide?

Disc bolts.
    rickbst170 wrote:
    Don't you double space (2 off 2.5mm spacers) when running a triple as double to shift crank and chainline over?
    How many spacers you need depends on a number of factors, but double/triple isn't one of them, what does matter is BB shell width, which crankset you have and whether you are using any BB mount device (upper/lower guide or E-type mech).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rickbst170
    Lol, read so much on bb's, chain line, cranks etc last few days I've got my knickers in a twist. When I get all the bits I'll see what I need. Haven't picked up crank arms or ordered bb yet.