Route recommendation? Liverpool Street to Blackfriars Bridge

Todd Sweeney
Todd Sweeney Posts: 117
edited April 2014 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

I'm in the process of procuring a nice orange Brompton. Can anyone recommend a route from Liverpool St Station to Blackfriars Bridge/Victoria Embankment please? Preferably slightly less busy roads if possible (if they even exist in the city!) I was considering heading up towards the Barbican, and cutting through on some slightly quieter roads that way.

Otherwise maybe London Wall, cutting through towards St Paul's then to Fleet Street?

Having always worked very near Liverpool Street previously and not living or cycling in London often before I'm a bit clueless to be honest.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Don't bother with side roads. The main ones are fine, straight forward and fewer junctions for drivers to ambush you on. In fact the main concern cycling in the city is suicide / lemming peds. No sketchy bits on the route below. Even Bank junction is fine.

Liverpool St > Old Broad St > Threadneedle St > Queen Victoria St.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    MrSweary wrote:
    Don't bother with side roads. The main ones are fine, straight forward and fewer junctions for drivers to ambush you on. In fact the main concern cycling in the city is suicide / lemming peds. No sketchy bits on the route below. Even Bank junction is fine.

Liverpool St > Old Broad St > Threadneedle St > Queen Victoria St.
    Yep +1

Definitely avoid London wall, seems to always have a headwind in my experience.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yep, I'd avoid St Paul's/Ludgate Hill, and head for Q Vic St.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Great stuff, thanks for your advice all! Picking up the bike tonight and will be starting this next week.
  • Have you tried http://london.cyclestreets.net/?

Have used for my 12 mile tootle across London and the route it provided is awesome.