Hope hub widths?

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought a second hand front wheel yesterday, but when I got it home it doesn't fit between the fork legs!?

it's about 2 or 3mm too wide with the 20mm adapters on (I assume it'd be too wide with the other adapters on)

so have hope made different width front hubs and I'm a numpty buying it?

I did take pics, but I've left my phone at home today :oops:

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Are the bearings seated properly, and the adapters fitted correctly?
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Pro 2? Are the bearing pressed in all the way? As far as I know, Hope have never made a different width hub shell, except for the Fatsno Hub
  • welshkev
    adaptors are in as far as they can go.

do I just give the bearings a tap? put a screwdriver through the axle (so the handle is against the bearings) and tap with a mallet a good idea?
  • jimothy78
    No - you need to applying the force to the outer race of the bearing or you'll shag them - use a wrench socket that's a fraction smaller than the bearing (the 22mm socket in my set is just right on my pro II front).

before you try that, though, you could check if it's likely to be the problem - what's the total width of your hub with adapters? just put the 20mm adapters back on mine and it come in at exactly 110mm across (the adapters themselves are each 19mm long).
  • welshkev
    cheers jim, i'll check when I get home.
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    Are they Pro2 hubs with Pro 2 adaptors or Pro2 EVO adaptors, I had two sets of Hope Wheels and the adaptors couldn't be successfully swapped between them. Going one way the adaptors were ridiculously loose and the other way you almost needed a hammer to knock them in.
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • jimothy78
    BigStu2 wrote:
    Are they Pro2 hubs with Pro 2 adaptors or Pro2 EVO adaptors?

There shouldn't be any difference on the front hub - it's the same part, and even has the same spare part number (HUB420) if you look at the technical documents.