Richmond Park 3-lap Challenge 2014

marcusjb
marcusjb Posts: 2,412
It doesn't appear that this thread has yet happened - so here we are:

Copied from http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12898675 (last year's thread):

We understand the Royal Parks and the police are receiving an increasing number of complaints about inconsiderate cyclists in Richmond Park. Pedestrians for whom cyclists will not stop, and motorists who are overtaken in “close call” situations complain about how reckless cyclists can sometimes be. We're not accusing anyone here of doing so, but please be mindful of this when you are attempting a fast lap. If you encounter traffic or pedestrians/deer near to the road, do not take risks. Abort and if necessary start again or visit when there is less traffic. The last thing we want to see is traffic calming measures introduced into the park. Thank you for your understanding.

Guidelines:
1. 3 continuous laps of RP, anti- or clock-wise (or a mixture), with the general view that anti is easier/safer.
2. Start, rolling or standing, where you like and finish at the same place.
3. KEEP IT SAFE. Squeezing through that gap might make all the difference in beating your PB, but far better you live to fight another day and improve even more. In the red mist of the 3rd lap it is VERY easy to forget this and indeed to annoy the hell out of other RP users. To this end, attempts are best made very early at the weekend, mid-morning/mid-afternoon during the week and just before dusk.
4. Given '3' above, feel free to comment on the traffic, suicidal deer or even the horrendous westerly. The reader can adjust his/her impression of the time and it might dissuade you from roundabout madness.
5. Most of us try to avoid drafting. You might not be able to help it in traffic, but you'll be losing more from the traffic than you're gaining anyway.
6. In the entry feel free to mention : your bike (TT/shopper etc), your weight (seems to be a tradition) and even your 'type of rider' (sportive, racer, audax, tri) - it's becoming a tradition to add your power data here also/instead; and, in the text, perhaps your aim for the year .
7. Please add your post to the previous list, and try to make sure you use the most recent list, so we don't lose entries. Remove your old entry and put your new one in time order, emboldened for easy viewing.

So, here goes, despite having moved even closer to the park - apathy has kept me out of the park until this evening. Nothing special in times, blimey it was windy, really windy! It'll get better I am sure!

marcusjb................anti......60kg.....1:06:46.....Feb........audaxer....road bike

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb................anti......60kg.....1:05:05.....Feb........audaxer....road bike

Well it was rather less windy today! Went slightly too early as there was rather a lot of traffic out - but that's all fine. A little quicker due to the lack of wind - but I was also a lot slower on the bit from the roundabout at the bottom of Dark Hill to Roehampton Gate - my three fastest times ever on that section were set yesterday!
  • Jack Flap................anti......74kg.....1:03:18.....Feb........just for fun....Ribble Winter/Audax
    marcusjb................anti......60kg.....1:05:05.....Feb........audaxer....road bike

I noticed that this thread seems to have become less popular over the last couple years - not sure whether it is the rise of Strava, the crushing times that TarmacExpert managed to put in, or something else.

Always interesting to see how people progress over the year but I've never bothered posting my time - thought I would steal the top spot before the quick times come in.

57:00 was my best last year but felt a 56:30 would have been possible without any excuses. A bit wet at the bottom of Dark Hill yesterday but not too windy compared to last few weeks and not too much traffic. Would be nice to get a 55:xx this summer.
  • What is the best time you've recorded? Might give this a go imminently.
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    My best time is 62:55. Must try to go sub 60! Waiting for better weather! Riders times will start rolling in when the weather improves.
  • Borderland wrote:
    What is the best time you've recorded? Might give this a go imminently.

There are a couple of guys who consistently go under 50 minutes... good luck... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • marcusjb
    Look at the end of last year's (and the year before) thread:

viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=12898675&start=160

viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=12829490&start=180

Gives you an idea of what the quick boys are doing - sub 50 minutes is really the sharp end of things for sure.
  • Thanks gents
  • marcusjb
    Marcusjb.................anti......60kg.....1:02:29.....Mar.........audaxer......fixed
    Jack Flap................anti......74kg.....1:03:18.....Feb........just for fun....Ribble Winter/Audax

The thread seems not to have taken off this year sadly. I will still use it as it is an easy place to record my efforts.

Once again, I am going to have a couple of entries - one for road bike, one for fixed.

Went out late yesterday afternoon on the fixed - I had flipped the wheel to my higher gear (76), so it all felt good, there was some wind about, and the jump up in inches made the climb up dark hill a grind over my usual 67, but the flip side is that the descents are considerably easier (and I wasn't hitting max hr on the climbs as I usually do on 67). Anyway - all rather pleasing as it was around 5 minutes quicker than I have ever done on fixed before. Hopefully training is going the right way despite what felt like an awful February and this year's challenges are going to be possible.
  • marcusjb
    Marcusjb.................anti......60kg.....1:01:17.....Mar.........audaxer......fixed
    Jack Flap................anti......74kg.....1:03:18.....Feb........just for fun....Ribble Winter/Audax

Another trip out with decent conditions - lap 2 very, very traffic filled. Other than that - fabulous and even quicker than yesterday on fixed. Seem to be in good form currently - better take the geared bike there as well. I am just outside 20 minute laps on fixed (20:04 and 20:20 on laps 1 and 3) - last year, I wasn't anywhere close to that on gears by this point of the year.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb................anti......60kg.....58:39.....Apr........audaxer....road bike
    marcusjb.................anti......60kg.....1:01:17.....Mar.........audaxer......fixed

Well, no one else is playing this year!

Went out on gears this evening - warm and not too much wind. Traffic not too bad either.

As it is traditional to add some excuses - mudguards, fairly slow tyres, dynamo front wheel.

I'm pleased to be where I am already and going sub-60 gives me a good boost as I start to enter the serious part of the season!
  • jack_flap
    jack_flap Posts: 40
    marcusjb................anti......60kg.....58:39.....Apr........audaxer....road bike
    Jack Flap................anti......74kg.....1:00:34.....Mar........just for fun....Boardman Team Carbon
    marcusjb.................anti......60kg.....1:01:17.....Mar.........audaxer......fixed

Have been some nice conditions over the last couple of weeks with an easterly wind on a few days - only managed to get 1 3 lapper in March and not quite at sub 60 mins yet (though was a reasonable amount of traffic). Seem to be a little slower this year than last on the hills so obviously need a lot more miles in my legs if I am going to get any closer to 55 mins this summer.

Its a shame is only a two horse race so far - maybe will be more takers now we're in BST- the park/Surrey lanes seem to be busier than ever this year!

Good to see the times people put in on solo rides rather than group rides which aren't distinguished in Strava.
  • Got a 16 lapper this Saturday! Targeting 6 hours so 22.5 minute laps.... probably wishful thinking!
  • abondncfc
    abondncfc Posts: 13
    Andy Bond..............anti......76Kg.....57:11.....Apr.......sportives/club rider.....aero road bike
    Jack Flap................anti......74kg.....1:00:34.....Mar........just for fun....Boardman Team Carbon

Stuck behind cars for ages as well especially 3rd lap - only first lap relatively clear: 18:35.3/ 18:53.0/ 19:42.5 = 57:11 from Garmin lap times started just past Richmond Gate roundabout from standing start.
  • Andy Bond............anti.......76Kg..........57:11......Apr......sportives/club rider....aero road bike
    marcusjb...............anti.......60kg..........58:39......Apr......audaxer.....................road bike
    Jack Flap..............anti........74kg.......1:00:34.....Mar......just for fun.................Boardman Team Carbon
    marcusjb...............anti........60kg.......1:01:17.....Mar......audaxer.....................fixed
    TechieTim.............anti........80kg.......1:10:04......Apr......commuter..................commuter (20" folder)

Had my first try yesterday, Wed 2nd Apr, around 18:45.

For my modest sort of pace, conditions were pretty good. A bit cool, breeze seemed to be pretty light, little traffic, nothing held me up.

I'd been recommended Richmond Park as a good place for a leisurely ride. So popped down with Frankelstein (I named my Dahon bike) on Sunday afternoon. It was a nice day for March, and a polite rider who passed me made a lighthearted comment about my little bike moving along and the need to pass to avoid embarrassment. Though I suffered a bit more on the hills, I was bouyed up by my ride.

I set about trying to find out the actual length of the road circuit, and tripped up over this three lap challenge stuff.

Making it around three times didn't sound impossible and, with lighter evenings and good weather, I was tempted to have a go. I reckoned 80 mins would be fair and 75 mins a target, so I'm pretty pleased with laps of something like 23:06, 23:19 and 23:39.

That's about as fast as I can manage at the mo. Maybe with a bit more fitness and strength my time will come down a bit.
  • Had an Ironman (non-official) on Saturday and incorporated 15 and a bit laps of the park. Needless to say it was as grim as anything I have ever done, but conditions were dry and cool which was perfect. Yes it was windy, but not the characteristic Richmond Park every direction headwind kind so I cannot complain. In total the 180km took 6:06 and this included a 20 minute puncture repair! Will go for a lone 3 this Saturday but in the meantime have plugged in below!

Andy Bond............anti.......76Kg..........57:11......Apr......sportives/club rider....aero road bike
    marcusjb...............anti.......60kg..........58:39......Apr......audaxer.....................road bike
    Jack Flap..............anti........74kg.......1:00:34.....Mar......just for fun.................Boardman Team Carbon
    marcusjb...............anti........60kg.......1:01:17.....Mar......audaxer.....................fixed
    Borderland.............anti.......95kg........1.03.14.....Apr......commuter...................road bike
    TechieTim.............anti........80kg.......1:10:04......Apr......commuter..................commuter (20" folder)
  • marcusjb
    Well I think you win an award for highest boredom threshold ever exhibited in Richmond Park!
  • Haha, dynamo hunting was all I could do to pass the time.
  • Andy Bond............anti.......76Kg..........57:11......Apr......sportives/club rider....aero road bike
    Borderland.............anti.......95kg........1.03.14.....Apr......commuter...................road bike
    SmellTheGlove........anti........72kg.......1:07:38......Apr......commuter/audax..............road TechieTim.............anti........80kg.......1:10:04......Apr......commuter..................commuter (20" folder)

Used to think I would one day go sub-60 for three laps, but my sights are more set on 90mins for four now; just maintaining the effort and enjoying a sunny day was a reward in itself (Friday afternoon). Nice ride (my first at RP since January), but pooped afterwards on the trip home to northern heights. Still need to work on maintaining the speed into and up the climbs, I've got this mental thing about Sawyers Hill. Surely there's nothing to it...
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Borderland.............anti.......95kg........56:48.....Apr......commuter...................road bike
    Andy Bond............anti.......76Kg..........57:11......Apr......sportives/club rider....aero road bike
    SmellTheGlove........anti........72kg.......1:07:38......Apr......commuter/audax..............road TechieTim.............anti........80kg.......1:10:04......Apr......commuter..................commuter (20" folder)

I am not sure whether marcusjb has two scores because he's used different bikes or whether you just always leave past scores in. If you are not supposed to then by all means delete mine! And anyone wondering why my scores are vastly different I was in the midst of an Ironman so my pacing was considerably slower first time around. Anyway pretty chuffed for my first hack at the 3 laps on their own but I think 54 minutes is attainable.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Fresh easterly to battle between Dark Hill and Roehampton Gate and to Enjoy up Sawyer Hill... on an otherwise beautiful morning and a clean ride

Borderland.............anti.......95kg........56:48.....Apr......commuter...................road bike
    Ugo Santalucia.........anti.......72Kg.......1:01:40.....Apr......Wheel Builder............Red Bike/Green tubs
    left the forum March 2023
  • marcusjb
    Borderland wrote:
    I am not sure whether marcusjb has two scores because he's used different bikes or whether you just always leave past scores in. If you are not supposed to then by all means delete mine!

Cos I am a cheeky bugger.

Dramatically different bikes. Fixed and road bike. I like to keep a track of both through the year. Fixed is considerably slower due to not being able to go down the hills anywhere near as quickly etc.
  • Hahaha okay well in that case...

Borderland.............anti.......95kg........56:48.....Apr......commuter...................road bike
    Ugo Santalucia.........anti.......72Kg.......1:01:40.....Apr......Wheel Builder............Red Bike/Green tubs
  • Borderland.............anti.......95kg........56:48.....Apr......commuter...................road bike
    martinheadon.........anti.......73kg.......1:00:24......Apr.....sportives/fun.............road bike

First go on the 3 lap challenge with summer tyres, shaved 4 minutes off my winter best but just missed out on the hour mark. Northerly headwind made the last mile up to Roehampton Gate a real sufferfest.

Training myself up for RideLondon - if anyone on this thread did that last year, I'd be interested to know what time they got, to see how that correlates to 3-lap challenge records.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    martinheadon.........anti.......73kg.......1:00:24......Apr.....sportives/fun.............road bike
    menthel.................anti.......83kg.......1:05:43.....Apr......Commuter/audax........Condor Italia with beard

My fastest by 3 minutes, and fastest laps so far at 21:35. Could go faster but I think I am lazy and unfit! Bike traffic was quite heavy too. Hopefully will be a bit faster before the TT in June!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    menthel.................anti.......83kg.......1:05:43.....Apr......Commuter/audax........Condor Italia with beard
    Smokey Bacon..........anti.......61kg.......1:06:47.....Apr......Commuter/club rider........Road bike.

Reckon thats a good benchmark for TT training with definte room for improvement.
  • Jezzaus
    Jezzaus Posts: 24
    Jezzaus.................anti......75kg..........59.45.....Apr........struggler.................road bike
    Smokey Bacon..........anti.......61kg.......1:06:47.....Apr......Commuter/club rider........Road bike.

Not in the habit of posting, but, after four years of trying, off and on, and never managing to get under an hour, I thought I better mark the occasion. What a bloody relief. True, the winds were favourable, and the traffic light, but I've still got the monkey off my back. Yeehaa.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Jezzaus.................anti......75kg..........59.45.....Apr........struggler.................road bike
    Simonhead.........anti............99kg........107.11.....Apr.......Commuter.............PX Pro Carbon

Having lost a fair chunk over the winter with more to go did my first blast and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
    craigmamakin.............anti.......73kg........56:59.....Apr......commuter...................road bike
    Simonhead.........anti............99kg........107.11.....Apr.......Commuter.............PX Pro Carbon

Link to strava activity: http://www.strava.com/activities/135779 ... 3075775466
    craigmamakin.............anti.......73kg........56:59.....Apr......commuter...................road bike
    TheVelvetUnderpants ..anti....75kg...57:29.....May.....Fun/Fitness...Dave Quinn 531c Roadie

Beautiful conditions this morning at 7am. Normally I only have time for 2 laps before getting ready for work but the weather was so good and I was rocking along at such a pace that I couldn't resist indulging in a third lap! :D
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    iPete.....................anti.......68kg.......54:43.....May......commuter/club...........road bike
    Borderland..............anti.......95kg.......56:48.....Apr......commuter...................road bike
    craigmamakin..........anti.......73kg.......56:59.....Apr......commuter...................road bike
    Andy Bond............anti.......76Kg.........57:11......Apr......sportives/club rider....aero road bike
    TheVelvetUnderpants ..anti....75kg.......57:29.....May.....Fun/Fitness...Dave Quinn 531c Roadie
    marcusjb...............anti.......60kg........58:39......Apr......audaxer.....................road bike
    Jezzaus................anti......75kg.........59.45.....Apr........struggler.................road bike
    martinheadon........anti.......73kg.......1:00:24......Apr.....sportives/fun.............road bike
    marcusjb..............anti........60kg.......1:01:17.....Mar......audaxer.....................fixed
    Ugo Santalucia.......anti.......72Kg.......1:01:40.....Apr......Wheel Builder............Red Bike/Green tubs
    menthel...............anti.......83kg.......1:05:43.....Apr......Commuter/audax........Condor Italia with beard
    Smokey Bacon.......anti.......61kg.......1:06:47.....Apr......Commuter/club rider........Road bike.
    Simonhead.........anti.........99kg........107.11.....Apr.......Commuter.............PX Pro Carbon
    SmellTheGlove........anti......72kg.......1:07:38......Apr......commuter/audax..............road TechieTim.............anti......80kg.......1:10:04......Apr......commuter..................commuter (20" folder)

4 minutes quicker than Mondays dismal attempt :lol: