Fixing up an old tandem

ab20000
ab20000 Posts: 89
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
My others half father has a Tandem from about 10/15 years ago - cost a fair bit at the time and is pretty solid but needs some TLC to be up and running for some casual summer forest rising. Rather than just replace like for like I'd prefer to improve where possible. first question regards the twist shifts - now I don't like these and they are feeling worn. Have an old Deore 8sp trigger shifter - can I just replace the twist shift with this? Obv it's 8sp rear mech. It also has v brakes, not ideal but for how it's used they are fine, however I'd like to make them work as best they can so keen to use some decent pads - any recommendations?

Other than this I'm going to stick on some Mountain King tyres, change all the cables, re-grease the headset and BBs, new grips and just a general refresh. Anything else?

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    ab20000 wrote:
    first question regards the twist shifts - now I don't like these and they are feeling worn. Have an old Deore 8sp trigger shifter - can I just replace the twist shift with this? Obv it's 8sp rear mech.

yes (asuming it's a shimano mech).
    It also has v brakes... keen to use some decent pads - any recommendations?

have been very impressed by superstar's tripple-compound v-brake pads:
    V-brake%20tri%20colour%20web.jpg
    they're sold out at the moment, but the clarks ones look very similar and have good reviews:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/clarks-v-type-b ... -compound/
  • ab20000
    jimothy78 wrote:
    yes (asuming it's a shimano mech).

Hmmm not sure - I'll have a check next time I'm there, would have thought so, even if it's not I can pick up one for not much money. I do a SRAM X4 - will that not work?
    jimothy78 wrote:
    have been very impressed by superstar's tripple-compound v-brake pads:

Nice one mate - thanks
  • jimothy78
    ab20000 wrote:
    Hmmm not sure - I'll have a check next time I'm there, would have thought so, even if it's not I can pick up one for not much money. I do a SRAM X4 - will that not work?

Sorry - I should have made myself clearer.

A shimano mech needs a shimano shifter (or compatible).
    A SRAM mech needs a SRAM shifter (or compatible).

So if the gripshifter you're replacing is shimano, use the Deore; if it's SRAM use the X4. If it's another manufacturer, you need to find out whether it's shimano- or SRAM-compatible and replace as appropriate.
  • ab20000
    In my parts box I have 3sp front and 8sp deore shifters and a SRAM X4 mech so not pair. Annoying but I'll probably just grab a Shimano mech if it doesn't already have one. Assuming even an old Shimano mech will be fine?
  • jimothy78
    ab20000 wrote:
    In my parts box I have 3sp front and 8sp deore shifters and a SRAM X4 mech so not pair. Annoying but I'll probably just grab a Shimano mech if it doesn't already have one. Assuming even an old Shimano mech will be fine?

Yes, any 7/8/9 speed shimano mtb rear mech will work with those shifters . Also, there is no difference in the pull-ratio for front mechs, so you can happily mix sram and shimano there if necessary.
  • ab20000
    Want to replace the pedals with some flats (got SPDs at the moment) - was going to go for some DMR V8's but looking around noticed the plastic ones seem to be much cheaper and for light use in the forest and the road I'd have thought they'd be fine.

Any thoughts?
  • jimothy78
    If you want V8s get the Wellgo-branded ones (they make them for DMR, too, but the DMR tag doubles the price).

As you're not likely to be doing anything technical on it, then reckon some cheapy plastic flats will serve you just as well, though.
  • ab20000
    jimothy78 wrote:
    If you want V8s get the Wellgo-branded ones (they make them for DMR, too, but the DMR tag doubles the price).

As you're not likely to be doing anything technical on it, then reckon some cheapy plastic flats will serve you just as well, though.

Do the Wellgos have the grease port service option as well?
  • jimothy78
    No, but they're dead easy to strip down and service properly anyway.