Marketing putting you off a brand

oneiroi
oneiroi Posts: 32
edited April 2014 in Commuting chat
Looking around online for some information before buying a new bike regarding frame sizing (I'm quite tall and have long legs for my height, so traditional sizes don't seem to suit that well), I came across Cervelo's site. Read some stuff about stack and reach, it makes sense. Not that I could afford any of their bikes, but they do seem like nice pieces of kit, and more information can't hurt.

But then I click here. The maths is ok, but put to questionable use. A lot like the speed change brain teasers. But then maybe it's just that I weight average speed more than time taken.

Anything else you've ever seen put you right off a company you were otherwise warming to?

Comments

• airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    This website does quite well:

http://www.nakedwines.com/?cid=UK

Essentially: are you a massive douche? 'Cos if so, we'd like to sell you some wine! If not, go away.

Actually, campagnolo's marketing puts me right off as well (sorry, but 'campy tech lab... *vomits*)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    not quite the same but I ll never use GoCompare or Confused.com becasue of their godawful TV adverts...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Trek's marketing hit rock bottom a few years back :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    I thought Aldi's and lidl's marketing was sh"t so I bought rapha instead...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151
    Those stupid radio adverts where they start speaking excessively quickly at the end of the ad listing out all the terms and conditions (when they could just say 'See website for t's & c's') annoy the t1ts off me so I try not to buy what's being advertised.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Rubbish
    - All adverts for perfume (male and female) - moronic breathy voiced cr*p devoid of any imagination
    - The adverts for the comparison website with the Russian rats/monkeys/squirrels or whatever - funny at first, now simply lame
    - 118 adverts. All utter sh17

Excellent
    - Lidl and Aldi ads - funny
    - Satsuma loans (the one with the Heart song "Alone") - brilliant

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    SecretSam wrote:
    - All adverts for perfume (male and female) - moronic breathy voiced cr*p devoid of any imagination

Perfume is essentially worthless as a product. Probably costs them about 5p to make a bottle. So you're completely buying into the marketing and brand. Nobody would buy an unbranded perfume.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The chances are, if you don't like an ad, you're not the target audience.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Those stupid radio adverts where they start speaking excessively quickly at the end of the ad listing out all the terms and conditions (when they could just say 'See website for t's & c's') annoy the t1ts off me so I try not to buy what's being advertised.
    That will be a legal requirement which is why they all do it.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151
    wongataa wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    That will be a legal requirement which is why they all do it.
    Maybe radio isn't the best medium for those ads then. Even if it's legally required it still annoys the t1ts off me.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The chances are, if you don't like an ad, you're not the target audience.

Probably the worst ads ever are the "Safestyle UK" adverts. I guess their target market is idiots?