Getting used to a saddle

markhewitt1978
markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
edited April 2014 in Road general
I've used a Bontrager Affinity saddle which came with my bike for the last year and I've found it to be fine.

Recently however in order to lighten my bike I've changed it for a Bontrager RXL carbon. Which is the same size and shape as above.

However; I've found the saddle really hard compared to my old one. I can feel my sit bones directly on it. Is this something I need to get used to or is the saddle no good for me?

I did a 50 mile ride and ended up with some back pain as I was trying to keep pressure off my backside!

They have a guarantee so I can send it back for up to 30 days but it's a nice looking saddle and really light so it would be a shame to have to go back to my old one.

Comments

• i would say comfort is more important than a few grams weight saving. i bought an expensive fizik thinking it would be great, bizarrely the cheaper one that came with my new bike is better and the one im keeping.
  • markhewitt1978
    i would say comfort is more important than a few grams weight saving. i bought an expensive fizik thinking it would be great, bizarrely the cheaper one that came with my new bike is better and the one im keeping.

I agree but I don't want to go on the basis of one ride when it might be that after a little while it's just as comfy.
  • Carbon saddles seem to have less "give" in them than their alloy railed brothers & sisters. This can lead to a bit of initial discomfort when you swap.
  • It certainly does take a while to get used to a saddle, so give it a chance. If it is a new saddle but the same shape and size then you should be OK. You should simply only have to get your rear end adjusted to a slightly harder saddle.
  • sarm34
    sarm34 Posts: 182
    I have the same saddle on my new bike and even after a few minutes its hurting my bum, on my old bike I had a full carbon saddle with no padding and I was fine with that, even after doing 100mile sportives but this saddle kills me , I shall try and get used to it and if things don't get any better I will change it for a full carbon again.
  • Doris Day
    Doris Day Posts: 83
    I went back to Bont after trying a Selle saddle. I was fine at first but after two weeks i went back to Bont.
    I guess my bum isn't built to go hard.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I use a Brookes saddle which may seem a bit incongruous on my Scott Foil but I've tried a Fizik, Specialized and a Bontrager in an attempt to save weight. I would say that in my experience comfort far outweighs any weight savings. I rode over a hundred and thirty miles this weekend and my arse is the only part of my body not aching at the moment.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    It can take a few rides to get used to a new saddle but if you don't find it doesn't get comfortable after that I'd send it back. IMO the saddle is the component least worth compromising for weight or cosmetics. Comfort is really all that matters and that applies to performance as well as enjoyment. I think everyone performs better when they're comfortable.
  • markhewitt1978
    Perhaps I'm reacting too soon - not sure, but, I've ordered a RL version of the saddle (as opposed to RXL), the details claim it's more generously padded, so I'll give that a try. It's a weight increase of 70g, but then what's 70g? Plus it's still lighter than the Affinity 1 it's originally replacing.
  • markhewitt1978
    Perhaps I'm reacting too soon - not sure, but, I've ordered a RL version of the saddle (as opposed to RXL), the details claim it's more generously padded, so I'll give that a try. It's a weight increase of 70g, but then what's 70g? Plus it's still lighter than the Affinity 1 it's originally replacing.

Did a 50 mile ride with the RL saddle and it's spot on! Very happy with it.

Got to get the RXL sent back.