Any uni cyclists out there?

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    That looks far too easy, try this.
    I can't ride a unicycle, but my 15 year old son can. Just bought him a 29" one which I'm taking home with me tonight.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    No but I can juggle....

I can feel the start of the Bikerader circus.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm not a student, no.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Hmmmm... 50% heavier than a folded Brompton and half the speed. Couple that with the safety and street cred of a Segway, and enough range to get me to work and back, but only on a full charge.

I'm out.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    I saw one of these out in the wild (in Shoreditch, natch) last week and it scooted along at a fair pace. The rider was able to cross the road and onto the footpath without any problem or slowing down, so it seems to handle minor bumps and definitely looked fun.

Not sure that I'd commute on one myself - a broken wrist seems just a matter of time.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    So, it's a uni-cycle with 2 wheels...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Looks to me like you are one decent sized pothole away from a massive faceplant.

I'm out.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    jamesco wrote:
    The rider was able to cross the road and onto the footpath without any problem

And that would be illegal i.e. cycling on the pavement...I certainly don't fancy riding one of those things on busy pot-holed roads.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I used to know a bloke who rode a unicycle that was connected to a front fork + bars + wheel via cut down inner tubes so that when he held it at arms length it looked like a normal bike. Then he'd ride along and let it collapse leaving him riding the back wheel only.

P'raps you had to be there... :)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Gave my son his new unicycle tonight. After a couple of wobbly starts he was off riding round and round the block. A very happy boy.
    Funnily enough he was then talking about getting some forks and handlebars to do something like what CiB described.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I once saw a comic act doing pretty much the same thing, albeit without the bits of inner tubes. Very impressive indeed...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    drlodge wrote:
    jamesco wrote:
    The rider was able to cross the road and onto the footpath without any problem

And that would be illegal i.e. cycling on the pavement...
    That would be illegal cycling on the road as well! No peddle capability.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nomelette
    nomelette Posts: 13
    I thought this was a thread about student riding ...I'll leave now...

But we do get a few unicyclists commuting into uni making it look rediculously easy!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    There was a bloke with a teen with mtb unicycles at swinley, looked like fun! Though I suspect I'd end up eating tree if tried!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    nomelette wrote:
    I thought this was a thread about student riding ...I'll leave now...

But we do get a few unicyclists commuting into uni making it look rediculously easy!

Meh. Beat ya to it :P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • There is someone around my way that does it. Haven't seen him this year, but last year he was doing training for the coast-to-coast!
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • There is someone around my way that does it. Haven't seen him this year, but last year he was doing training for the coast-to-coast!

May be the same guy i've seen a couple of times on my commute along hadrians way.