Racing on tubulars

gabrielevans
gabrielevans Posts: 100
edited April 2014 in Amateur race
140km road race tomorrow - should I be worried about flatting my tubular wheelset? This is the first race I will not have spare wheels with me so debating whether to a) ride carbon tubulars and take the risk of flatting and having to hitch a ride back to race HQ or b) riding my 1.8kg training wheels and having to work extra hard every acceleration for three and a half hours
What do people normally do?

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Isn't there a broom wagon for the drop outs, mechanicals and crashes?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I'd take a canister of sealant, if that fails there is almost certainly going to be someone attached to the race who will give you a lift back to HQ.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    To be fair, there's just as much risk of getting a flat on whatever you ride.
  • herzog
    herzog Posts: 197
    Vittoria Pit Stop works for me. Punctured in a race a few weeks ago, 60 seconds later, back in the race (off the back though).
  • Sir Velo
    Sir Velo Posts: 143
    Racing on tubs is my choice, just strap a spare tub under your saddle or stuff one in the back pocket. Then if you puncture just rip off the old one, on with the spare (suitably stretched and ideally with a bit of old glue/tape), CO2 gas and off you go. No messing trying to locate what caused the puncture, no risk of trapping the tube on the rim.

I find the key is to leave about 50mm of unglued section opposite the valve then when you have to take the tub off it is easy to push a tyre lever in and then I find it is plain sailing.

Extra bonus is not getting 'pinch punctures' (unlike clinchers) and if the puncture damages the tyre then no problems and don't have to carry a tyre boot.

SV
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Just accept a puncture means race over.
  • herzog
    JGSI wrote:

Only if you don't know how to use a spray can and can wait for 60 seconds...
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Kudos to you if you have managed to get back on.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    ±1 on the can of sealant and a co2 just in case. If that doesn't work or the hole is to big to be sealed then it's race over. No advantage in carrying a spare tub other than to get you back to the strip. As mentioned there would be someone that could get you back in a car if you retire, so sealant should be enough.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    Herzog wrote:
    JGSI wrote:

you must be STRONG if you can get a flat, lose over 60 seconds and get back onto a bunch, but I guess your race had a neutral service?
  • herzog
    Herzog wrote:
    Vittoria Pit Stop works for me. Punctured in a race a few weeks ago, 60 seconds later, back in the race (off the back though).
    Herzog wrote:
    JGSI wrote:

you must be STRONG if you can get a flat, lose over 60 seconds and get back onto a bunch, but I guess your race had a neutral service?

Not particularly strong - I was in the lead group with, I guess, a gap of around 30-40 seconds over the rest of the fragmented field. I got back into the 2nd bunch on the road after a chase (hence "off the back" as written in the original quote). Was pleased to finish with this group (from both a mental and physical perspective) and would have been disappointed if I'd given up and accepted that my race was over. Furthermore, the effort it took to chase back on produced some of my best power numbers of the season so far. Swings and roundabouts and all that.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 493
    I carry nothing and just take the risk. I assume that the race is probably over for me, anything else is a bonus and Reg A's often have service cars.

You can also ride back to HQ on a tub flat (although not tried it).
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Pit stop if your worried. I just rode 107 miles today on tubs. In fact I ride tubs all the time, they are simply reliable just use a tub that is not too light like those TT tubs not a good idea for a long race.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Puncture usually means race over - our team leader (series leader) noticed his front was going soft, stopped and swapped wheels with a team-mate and we dropped back to relay him back on - the main group realised and accelerated and we had to bury ourselves to get him back on - we were lined-out at 60kph drafting the commissaire's car. Only a really strong rider would have got back on in those conditions on their own.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Also it is harder to pinch flat tubs and that is a good reason to use them by itself. I mean 15 miles on a half flat tub on tour of flanders bottoming out the tyre every time the cobbles cam and no pinch flat. Tubs are just better in every way. Use them I am giving up on clinchers after today.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.