Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL-4

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited October 2016 in Your road bikes
After owning another Tarmac SL-4 and deciding the fit on my Venge was better for me (the SL-4 was a 56 and the Venge is a 54) I arrived at the conclusion the Tarmac had to be downsized. This arrived today (ignore the stem, bars and headset spacers, all are temporary):

FAC382BD-D842-47B7-A872-46520498DC09.jpg
It was soon built up:
A63F0D95-6715-4093-8918-676E343A830B.jpg
731419A3-8B51-4BB3-B0D6-7D253187E167.jpg
4112D027-7FBB-4FF4-BC00-DB4683D4E44E.jpg
E7299009-F0FD-49A0-9FE5-13BD2D1E3AE5.jpg

Spec is:
54cm S-Works Tarmac frame,
Dura Ace 9000 Groupset,
Fulcrum Racing Zero wheels,
Specialized Romin Evo pro saddle,
Pro Vibe bars,
Specialized Roubaix bar tape.

Going to change the stem for a S-Works 120mm stem, bars for Zipp SLC2 bars, Dura Ace 9000 pedals and the wheels at some point for some Mavic R-SYS SLR's hopefully.

Comments

• nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Beautiful frame, love that colourway
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Now that's a Specialized I like 8)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Cavs
    Cavs Posts: 176
    Stunning bike ! Loving that colour way also...

It's a very close spec' to what I'm planning to build.

So, may I ask why you're considering the upgrade from Zero's to Mavic?
    (Asking as I'm deciding between exactly these two wheel-sets at the moment)

Thanks...
  • Now I do like that......a lot.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Cavs wrote:
    So, may I ask why you're considering the upgrade from Zero's to Mavic?
    (Asking as I'm deciding between exactly these two wheel-sets at the moment)

No real reason other than I fancy a change and the grey of the magics will look good against the frame. It depends what I can get some Mavics for in comparison to what the Fulcrums sell for as to if I go for some or not.
  • Really cool Tarmac that.

Although I like the Pro bars tbh.
    Allez 16 - bad weather / turbo trainer
    Tarmac Expert SL3 - test colours
    Dogma 2 - ex Team Sky
  • Very jealous, especially as mine was written off by a BMW on Thursday eve. Only had it a month!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    nice...
  • Dick Scruttock
    Very jealous, especially as mine was written off by a BMW on Thursday eve. Only had it a month!

You must be gutted. Hope the insurance sort you out with a nice shiny new one.
  • Very jealous, especially as mine was written off by a BMW on Thursday eve. Only had it a month!

You must be gutted. Hope the insurance sort you out with a nice shiny new one.

Yes, I think gutted is quite an accurate description! :lol:

His insurance will be paying out, quite tempted to mimic you & get the same colourway. It does look really nice.
  • snakedoc
    snakedoc Posts: 200
    Nice bike! Quite a difference in colour to your previous SL4 - striking!
  • Dick Scruttock
    First ride out on it today. Only a small one to iron out any little problems. Luckily there are only 2 slight things I need to change so thats good. I did get soaked to the bone though and had to endure riding into driving hail on a descent at 30mph, not pleasant at all.

8437F3F3-F038-4AB7-8BBD-4C47CA70DB7B.jpg
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    That does look nice.
  • @OP - how would you compare it with the Venge? I'd always liked the idea of owning a fleet of a Tarmac, Venge and Roubaix.

@ Iamnot Wiggins - sorry to hear about your bike. Are you ok? Bikes can be replaced at least.
    Dogma 2 - ex Team Sky
  • @ Iamnot Wiggins - sorry to hear about your bike. Are you ok? Bikes can be replaced at least.

Hello, I must be honest, I've felt better! Haha! Pretty bruised & battered and signed off work for a while to help recovery. On the plus side though, took delivery of a new Tarmc SL4 frame the other day so it's not all bad.
  • @ Iamnot Wiggins - sorry to hear about your bike. Are you ok? Bikes can be replaced at least.

Hello, I must be honest, I've felt better! Haha! Pretty bruised & battered and signed off work for a while to help recovery. On the plus side though, took delivery of a new Tarmc SL4 frame the other day so it's not all bad.

Sorry to hear about the battering. I still live with the after effects of my 'big off' from 20 years ago!

Look forward to the SL4 build. What colour did you go for?

Apologies to Rick for dropping off topic.
    Dogma 2 - ex Team Sky
  • Nice bike, but wouldn't it have been a lot cheaper to just get a shorter stem? The only real difference between the 54 and the 56 is a bit in the seat post (which makes no real difference) and 17mm on the top tube, which is well within acceptable stem difference.

Why don't you just admit you wanted an excuse to buy a new bike. :D
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    54 looks a lot cooler than the 56. FACT!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    54 looks a lot cooler than the 56. FACT!
    :roll:
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    First ride out on it today. Only a small one to iron out any little problems. Luckily there are only 2 slight things I need to change so thats good. I did get soaked to the bone though and had to endure riding into driving hail on a descent at 30mph, not pleasant at all.

Great looking bike!!

Nice to hear it will be getting used in all weather's too. :)
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • Stunning paint job!
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Nice bike, but wouldn't it have been a lot cheaper to just get a shorter stem? The only real difference between the 54 and the 56 is a bit in the seat post (which makes no real difference) and 17mm on the top tube, which is well within acceptable stem difference.

Why don't you just admit you wanted an excuse to buy a new bike. :D

Don't think he needs an excuse LD!
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Not usually a fan of neon bikes ( I have a matte black stealth after all!) but this really works. Still prefer the Venge though which is stealthy but with subtle green accents. Pure class. I saw one at the NEC last year and it was in my top 3 favourite bikes I saw that day. One of the few I took photos of. Spesh got it right with the Venge.
  • Ed F
    Ed F Posts: 79

8437F3F3-F038-4AB7-8BBD-4C47CA70DB7B.jpg

You need to get a matching bidon!

I'm loving your old SL4 by the way. Glad you've put the proceeds to good use!
  • Dick Scruttock
    Ed F wrote:
    I'm loving your old SL4 by the way. Glad you've put the proceeds to good use!

Glad you are liking the old one Ed, they are superb bikes. This one just fits me a bit better.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Well it had to happen at some point. I now have some S-Works crank arms waiting for me to collect. Just need some semi compact Praxis clover rings and a compact carbon spider and it will be good to go 8)
  • Nice one!
    Out of interest, which do you prefer, the Venge or Tarmac?
    Dogma 2 - ex Team Sky
  • Dick Scruttock
    Out of interest, which do you prefer, the Venge or Tarmac?

I cannot really compare them, but if I had to chose one it would more than likely be the Tarmac. It just seems a little more forgiving on longer rides. That could be down to the build.
  • Fair enough Rick.

I must say, I'd quite like a Venge at some point. But I agree the Tarmac manages speed and comfort very well.
    Dogma 2 - ex Team Sky
  • Dick Scruttock
    Pretty much finished now:
    51BFF6D8-F5F9-418B-BABE-D67D06DE8D5C.jpg
    I was looking at some Mavic R-SYS SLR wheels but I'm not sure they will feel any better than the Fulcrums so I am sticking with them. Need to cut the steer tube down once I have a few more miles on it.