Re-usable 11 speed power links

Speckled
Speckled Posts: 97
edited April 2014 in Road general
I know at the minute the only ones available are the use once ones, but has anybody any information on why and if they'll ever release the use again ones? I have read somewhere that some people have successfully used them a few times, but its not something i want to risk.

In my opinion the only way to clean a chain properly is to remove it and give it a good scrub, i dont want to mess about taking pins out the links so im having to clean it still attached, which is proving fiddly.

I did consider one of these -

10772168-1363093550-972290.jpg

any other ideas?

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I didn't realise the star trek stun guns had cogs in them.

I've removed and reused KMC-11 links on a Campag Record 11 chain about 5 times.

I tend to use Fenwicks Foaming Chain Cleaner when washing the bike with it clamped in a workstand, there's another option for you. The cleaner you linked to with a some neat Fenwicks FS1 in it will so a decent and cheap enough job, but I find it more faff than the foaming stuff and the right brush as I can do the cassette and chainset with that too, just don't let it get near bearings.
  • Speckled
    I have a pretty good de-greasing spray, with the chain off in a little tub with a tooth brush it only takes minutes to clean up, same with the cassette. Its just doing this while its on the bike, i dont have a bike stand either so its even more tricky.

I think that star trek ray gun is gonna get a trial
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    mfin wrote:
    I didn't realise the star trek stun guns had cogs in them.

I've removed and reused KMC-11 links on a Campag Record 11 chain about 5 times.

I tend to use Fenwicks Foaming Chain Cleaner when washing the bike with it clamped in a workstand, there's another option for you. The cleaner you linked to with a some neat Fenwicks FS1 in it will so a decent and cheap enough job, but I find it more faff than the foaming stuff and the right brush as I can do the cassette and chainset with that too, just don't let it get near bearings.

Much the same here...reuse KMC 11sp link many times - replaced the chain recently after 3000+ miles and the quicklink had been used throughout its life. Put a new link on with the new chain though.

With reagrds to cleaning, I use the Park Tool every 500 miles or so with white spirit then citrus cleaner (depending on chain condition), will wipe down and relube the chain after each ride and every 2-4 of weeks using Fenwicks foaming chain cleaner. I do find the Fenwicks stuff quite mild and not so effective, especially with the original factory grease on the chain. A bit of citrus cleaner added does the trick.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    On best bike I take the cassette off and do that with a toothbrush in some FS-1 in a tub (to make doubly sure I don't get the foam degreaser in the rear hub), then the foam cleanser still works fine when using one of those chain thingies someone mentioned the other day as I can still turn the cranks to do it. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/morgan-blue-chain-keeper?sku=5360381912
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    mfin wrote:
    On best bike I take the cassette off and do that with a toothbrush in some FS-1 in a tub (to make doubly sure I don't get the foam degreaser in the rear hub), then the foam cleanser still works fine when using one of those chain thingies someone mentioned the other day as I can still turn the cranks to do it. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/morgan-blue-chain-keeper?sku=5360381912

Or an old jockey wheel and saddle qr.
    Those on a budget can use a choice or multiple combination of:
    Cork and a nail.
    M8 bolt, wing nut and two bottle caps, back to back.
    Cotton real and m5 bolt.
  • Papa Ado
    Papa Ado Posts: 76
    KMC here. Unfortunately, the parameters of the 11 spd. chains do not allow us to currently make a reusable MissingLink connecting link. We are working on it.

That being said, mfin and drlodge (above) and many other riders have reused our 11 spd. MissingLinks without issue.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Papa Ado wrote:
    KMC here. Unfortunately, the parameters of the 11 spd. chains do not allow us to currently make a reusable MissingLink connecting link. We are working on it.

That being said, mfin and drlodge (above) and many other riders have reused our 11 spd. MissingLinks without issue.

Can you share with us the reason(s) why you cannot declare them as reusable? Is it a "cover your arse" thing? I just wonder since they seem pretty robust and as you say, people are reusing them without issues.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Speckled
    Papa Ado wrote:

Keep us posted :)
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    I've used KMC missing link 10's for years (and now 11s too) and like Drlodge use each one for the life on the chain it's on. They get taken on and off for cleaning loads of times and I can't see it makes any difference to anything. Surely the only reason KMC would say otherwise is to try and sell more?
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    To be honest, KMC say don't use degreasers to clean the chain :).

According to KMC, you can reuse the 10 speed - just not the 11 speed.

To be honest, the Morgan Blue 'special brush' technique has been working fine recently with cleaning the chain, while keeping it on the bike.
  • Apparently, you can use the quick release 10spd links on an 11spd chain without any issues*. There's a whole thread on it on Weight Weenies.

*I'm not to be held responsible if your chain snaps in the arse end of nowhere!
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Which 10 speed links - the ones designed for KMC/Shimano/SRAM 10-speed chains, or the KMC links for Campag 10-speed chains?
  • g00se wrote:
    Which 10 speed links - the ones designed for KMC/Shimano/SRAM 10-speed chains, or the KMC links for Campag 10-speed chains?

Sorry, the campag ones. Should have said.