Richmond Park Time Trials 2014

martinwilly
martinwilly Posts: 63
edited June 2014 in Amateur race
Entries to these perfect little races are open.

22nd June here: http://www.riderhq.com/events/67526/richmond-park-tt-1/enter

6th July here: http://www.riderhq.com/events/67527/richmond-park-tt-2/enter
Would you promote cycling on your shorts as you commute? www.quickerbybike.com

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Entered for the June one (July clashes with le Grand Depart - doh!)

Is there still a road bike category? If I was meant to tick a box for that then I missed it, but almost certain that's what I'd be doing (unless I really get the TT bug between now and then).

Fantastic event for those who aren't familiar with it by the way.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Another +1 for fantastic event

I can't do either this year sadly - 24hr TT on the June date and grand depart on the July date. Ah well.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,175
    I'm in for the June one... so there will be a vintage cycles category... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    and at what ungodly time does this TT start? :shock:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • marcusjb
    drlodge wrote:
    and at what ungodly time does this TT start? :shock:

06:00
  • ugo.santalucia
    ... which leaves you just over an hour of light to warm up... :wink:
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'll be asleep, in bed, not even thinking about waking up yet alone warming up!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    Country boy... 8)
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I have entered- never done anything like this before!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • ugo.santalucia
    It's nice, but no cake... which is a bit disappointing at 12 quid...

We want cake!
  • menthel
    It's nice, but no cake... which is a bit disappointing at 12 quid...

We want cake!

Damn, I like audaxing and therefore cake. I may have to affix my panniers and fill with cake for post ride snacking...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • twgh
    twgh Posts: 102
    0600 on June 22 does sum ungodly but looking forward to it - will most likely be my first ever TT.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Early start is preferable. There can be the odd car about for us late starters.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Early start is brutal when you live 45 minutes away, but at least it leaves the rest of the day free. Will resist the temptation to do a road race the same day this year - never ends well!
  • okgo
    Haha, I did that last year, I actually did alright, but certainly took the edge off myself!

I live approx 15 mins from the startline, ideal for me :D
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • ugo.santalucia
    In a Time trial to get to the start line I could probably pip you all... I reckon 8 minutes is feasible
  • okgo
    I reckon Ed-F a fellow wheeler is the closest you could possibly be without living inside the park, for him, it would be 4-5 mins :D
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I reckon I could give Ed a run for his money on that one. I'm certainly close enough that riding to the start isn't far enough to warm-up...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • okgo
    Yeh but you've got Col Du 'Ham to climb, Dave! That is a HC climb!
  • tgotb
    okgo wrote:
    Yeh but you've got Col Du 'Ham to climb, Dave! That is a HC climb!
    Good point - I actually came across a bunch of guys from a well known London club doing hill reps there once!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    I'm noticing an unexpected correlation between posts on BR and proximity to Richmond Park!
  • ugo.santalucia
    17 Km, 150 Mt of climbing... hardly your usual 10 miles TT. About 3 minutes slower than the average 10 miler for most riders.
    For normal bikes and normal riders anything under 30 minutes is good going.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    In a Time trial to get to the start line I could probably pip you all... I reckon 8 minutes is feasible

Race is on, i reckon i could do it in seven !!!!
  • menthel
    17 Km, 150 Mt of climbing... hardly your usual 10 miles TT. About 3 minutes slower than the average 10 miler for most riders.
    For normal bikes and normal riders anything under 30 minutes is good going.

Looking at it, the hard bit will be that last lung and leg burner up Dark Hill. It is just evil. I think I will be glad with anything under 35 minutes on this one! (Not that I have ever taken part in a TT before!)
    RIP commute...
  • okgo
    You don't go up Dark Hill

RichPark%20Flyer.JPG
  • marcusjb
    No trip up dark hill on this one. You turn at Kingston gate roundabout and head back. The climb up to richmond gate is a long old drag as you know. I definitely over cooked things on that part last year.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I've done it a few times recently, last time this morning and regardless of conditions, spoke count, tyre pressure and wind direction, I always end up with a 31 minutes something... on the day with a clear run it should go under 31... but will it go under 30? :roll:
  • okgo
    Depends how many pizzas you eat on holiday ;)
  • menthel
    I got my car parks mixed up, whoops! Looks like it is better than I thought then! Sawyers is the worst drag and it isn't all that bad... (He says, trying to persuade himself otherwise.)
    RIP commute...
  • tgotb
    Every single time I do that race, the hardest drag is the one from Robin Hood Gate to the finish.
    Pannier, 120rpm.