The never ending upgrades....

bsharp77
bsharp77 Posts: 533
edited April 2014 in Road general
Morning everyone,

Thought id be good to my second bike (2011 Alu Boardman Team) and get an Ultegra upgrade.
So, I now have gathered up a complete Ultegra 6700 grey Groupset and its got me thinking.....
All I need now is a nice carbon frame and I have a complete new bike!!!

Id love to go for the Canyon CF, but at £999 for the frameset, its wayyyy too much.

Anybody seen any carbon frames on sale that would be really worth the money?
(just thinking back to the incredible Scott blowout last year!)

Or I also had the thought..... should I sell the Boardman, sell the groupset and just buy a damn canyon??!

N+1 is a horrible disease, but it is great fun looking at all the different options!

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Sadly I've just sold my spare CR1 SL frameset, but if you fancy one in 56 Samsbike was selling one. It's a truly awesome frame.

Beyond that keep an eye out for something second-hand. Fantastic looking frames pop up here all the time.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    bsharp77 wrote:
    .....Or I also had the thought..... should I sell the Boardman, sell the groupset and just buy a damn canyon??!
    That's probably what I'd do. It's much cheaper to buy a complete bike from them than buy the parts separately and build it up.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Out of interest, what size frame would you be after?
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Thanks for the replies guys!
    Goose - i'm 5"11" and my Focus Izalco is a 58 if thats any help!

I guess it really is a toss up between finding a great frame at a reasonable price or selling everything and buying a complete bike - great fun to look at all the options though!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Personally I would hang on and keep checking ebay and the classifieds as frames come up quite often. If nothing pops up you could probably pick up a discounted model at the end of the summer. One advantage there is quite often manufacturers have several models with the same frame but different groupsets. So you could buy the Sora/Tiagra model for example and whack the 6700 on it.
  • g00se
    How about Kyklos? They're associated with Danilo Di Luca - the Italian racer who got done for doping (maybe that's why they're discounted)? They share the framesets with Ritte bikes.

I think the L or XL frames here will be similar to the 58 Focus frame. They're heavily discounted and I've just got a used fetherweight limited from ebay. They're amazing frames.

There are last season discounted featherweight and feather frames here: http://www.kyklosbike.it/web/?product_cat=outlet

- they come out at about £650 (for the feather) - though I'm not sure what the shipping costs may be.

Some reviews:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -11-44563/

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/ ... first-ride

I've just put a featherweight together and it's a wonderful ride.
  • g00se
    Ah, just translated the top of the page: "This is a demo store for testing purposes - no orders shall be fulfilled."

You'll probably need to contact them by email.
  • how much did you pay for the full Ultegra groupset out of interest?