Mountain bike protection

benjaminbroadhead
benjaminbroadhead Posts: 48
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

Just picked up my new mountain bike and wondering what's the best way to protect the frame, forks, cranks etc. I'm new to all of this so any help would be great!

I've been reading about protecting a mountain bike frame and a few people have recommeded helicopter tape:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... ink:top:en

I've bought a skin protector to protect the frame from the chain.

What other items would it be worth buying?

Any other reasonably priced recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bit of heli tape, or free Superstar stickers where the cables rub.
    That's it.
    Just don't ride off a cliff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Will gold stars also do the trick?

I'll steer well clear of cliffs!
  • I've used stuff from these guys on my new bike

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/paragontapes/m.html

Not official 3M 'helitape' but it's a fraction of the cost.

I plastered my frame in it. Just because you can!

Does stop the paint getting ruined from muddy shorts and shoes and particularly scratchy cables!

As I found out it doesn't stop rocks denting your downtube tho :wink:

Ultimately, it's a bike for throwing down mountain and there's only so much you can protect!
  • AlShack
    AlShack Posts: 38
    Sorry - couldn't resist:

condom+bike+2.JPG

Google is a terrible thing ...

Does stop the paint getting ruined from muddy shorts and shoes and particularly scratchy cables!

Ultimately, it's a bike for throwing down mountain and there's only so much you can protect!

Thanks for this mate. I guess there's only so much you can do but may as well give it a go. What size did you buy?
  • AlShack wrote:
    Sorry - couldn't resist:

condom+bike+2.JPG

Google is a terrible thing ...

at least it's unused! (i think?!)

Thanks for this mate. I guess there's only so much you can do but may as well give it a go. What size did you buy?

I bought 3m x 75mm clear or invisible one. Whichever it's called. Seemed a good size to cover most contact points

It's comes as as like a 3 layer sandwich. You peel one side off to reveal the 'sticky' side. Apply it, then peel the outer layer off.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    I bought a roll of Aldis outdoor clear tape and it has worked a treat,3 quid for about 20 meters.it doesnt peel,discolour and i have given it to most of my mates and they are all more than happy with the results,for 3 quid its worth a shot,
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • hainman wrote:
    I bought a roll of Aldis outdoor clear tape and it has worked a treat,3 quid for about 20 meters.it doesnt peel,discolour and i have given it to most of my mates and they are all more than happy with the results,for 3 quid its worth a shot,

Do you know if Aldi sell that regularly?

Cheers
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Another vote for paragon tapes from ebay here, i taped my bike taped with their tapes.
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    Another vote for paragon tapes from ebay here, i taped my bike taped with their tapes.

Me too, on your recommendation, it's a little tricky but worth the time I think, if you want to keep your bike looking nice.
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • hainman
    Every few months but my local had about 10 rolls and it's been on sale a few weeks
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • hainman wrote:
    Every few months but my local had about 10 rolls and it's been on sale a few weeks

Is this the jobbie?
  • KevChallis wrote:

Me too, on your recommendation, it's a little tricky but worth the time I think, if you want to keep your bike looking nice.

Does it leave bubbles on the frame or does it sit nicely and unnoticeable?
  • KevChallis wrote:

depends how much effort you put in!

it will go perfectly smooth, and borderline invisible.

or.. if you just gash it on like me, bubbles all over! so i added some mud to hide it :lol:
  • I think I will become bored v quickly! Bought some of the aldi tape and it looks good stuff so going to try that first.
  • Kowalski675
    KevChallis wrote:

It's pretty much invisible. If you look hard you can just see the edges, but there's no bubbles, creases etc, it moulds round curves. Take your time and use plenty of water (with a dash of baby shampoo) and it's easy enough.
  • hainman
    @benjamininbroadhead thats the stuff...
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • hainman wrote:

Thanks mate

How does that look when applied?
  • Kowalski675
    hainman wrote:

Thanks mate

How does that look when applied?

Nothing like as good as the Paragon tapes - it's just like a thick sellotape. It'll stop scratches, but is very visible and doesn't mould round corners easily (I tried some on the faces of my cranks). Soon started lifting at the edges too, where i'd wrapped it round the edges.
  • KevChallis wrote:

It's pretty much invisible. If you look hard you can just see the edges, but there's no bubbles, creases etc, it moulds round curves. Take your time and use plenty of water (with a dash of baby shampoo) and it's easy enough.
    Did you use water and baby shampoo to apply the paragon tape?

Was there application instructions somewhere?

Cheers
  • Kowalski675
    Did you use water and baby shampoo to apply the paragon tape?

I did indeed, Johnsons baby shampoo. Don't go overboard though - just literally a few drops of the shampoo in your spray bottle.

Was there application instructions somewhere?

I knew the technique anyway, from applying Ventureshield kits to a couple of petrol tanks previously, but they have instructions here, and there's loads of tutorial vids on Youtube:

http://www.paragontapes.co.uk/home/instructions

Order one of their squeegee applicator tools too, they're only a couple of quid.