Why I always wear one

Dog Breath
Dog Breath Posts: 314
edited April 2014 in Commuting chat
I don't want to start a helmet debate here. That's not the purpose of this post, but rather to tell you of my incident yesterday.

I was cycling home after having done the Early Season Challenge (from Waverton, Chester) when I had an 'off'. Basically I was just entering the cycle path to join the Burton Marshes path (Wirral), which runs alongside and under the A548 flyover by Deeside Industrial Park. I took a wide berth around the barriers and close to the concrete flyover wall, but what I didn't see was a concrete buttress which protrudes from the wall of the flyover and supports a street light for the flyover.

I clipped this buttress with my shoulder and it propelled me to the ground. It actually turned me 180 degrees as I landed squarely on the base of my spine, and both elbows hit the ground. However, the momentum made the back of my head smash into the tarmac. I wasn't unconscious, but was very dazed and had to lay there for a few minutes until I felt I could sit up.

Finally made it on to my bike and rode the rest of the way home. Very sore this morning and didn't feel quite 'with it' in work, so went to the walk-in centre who suggested I should go home and have a few days rest.

While I'm a bruised, sore and have a bit of a headache, I shudder to think what the outcome would have been if I had not been wearing a helmet. I know for sure that I would not be sitting here typing this and would be in hospital, or worse, and that the helmet saved me from more serious damage.

A new helmet is now on order and I will wait until it arrives before venturing out again.
Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
Planet X London Road Disc
Planet X RT80 Elite

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    You had an accident and wacked your head/helmet - great ...

I don't always wear a lid - I didn't this morning - I didn't fall off either ... I don't expect I'll have an accident on the way home - but I might ...

however ...

I have hit the back of my head - with the boom on a sailing dinghy ... believe me it hit hard - hard enough to stun me and I had to wait for 30 seconds whilst my head cleared (and my brother/crew stopped worrying!). No, I wasn't wearing a helmet and it's not usual to wear one whilst racing - dinghy sailing schools are tending to use them for their students and instructors though.
    Although I've been sailing (a lot) for >30 years that incident was the only time I can recall a significant hit to my head and I have no reason to expect another hit (especially as I'm a bit more careful when it comes to gybes!) - and therefore no reason to wear a lid whilst doing so.

Cycling is a little different - you are more exposed to 3rd parties and that in itself could be a reason to wear a lid - plus as you've found, you may have an accident through your own errors of judgement and your head may come into contact with a solid object - but thankfully, both are unusual.
    Your head is actually very strong - and the dazing and subsequent not quite "with it" are effects of your brain being battered about inside your head - and it's quite likely you would've suffered the same if you had not been wearing a helmet.

However, there's always that "what-if" element - which is why I'm neither pro or anti helmets - it is an individuals responsibility to decide the levels of risk for themselves.

btw - for the "you don't notice wearing a helmet so why not wear one" brigade - having had a couple of rides deliberately not wearing one I can state quite categorically that there is a noticeable difference - and this morning I could've done with one as it would've helped keep a little of the rain out of my eyes - or just a cap would've helped! :)

Overall, I'd prefer not to wear one, but usually do.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Phew... thought someone had brought up the old condom debate again.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    MrSweary wrote:
    Phew... thought someone had brought up the old condom debate again.
    Indeed! My neighbour the bus driver had to swerve to avoid a child last night & fell out of bed...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I wear a helmet, yes I will hopefully never need it, yes there is a good chance in a collision it may not be my head that needs protection, on the other hand most other parts of the body recover better and faster than the brain, and the brain is what make me into ME.

Had too minor offs where the helmet took a minor knock, did it save my life, no, did it save me from a headache, yes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    tumblr_mxbc9a9wwW1rmerh9o1_400.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    tumblr_mxbc9a9wwW1rmerh9o1_400.jpg

:lol:

I got into trouble when I posted this on a similar thread :wink:

25ouxko.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    How about a competition - the winner is the one who posts the best facepalm image!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Rolf F wrote:
    How about a competition - the winner is the one who posts the best facepalm image!
    Hard to find a picture of someone facepalming with a helmet on.
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Hard to find a picture of someone facepalming with a helmet on.

Almost too easy:

post-18409-0-70569700-1352212107.jpg
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    h1645EDBF
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Not a facepalm but I like this anyway...

2cr6g6f.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    h1645EDBF

is that an early pre-fame iteration of Nirvana? (serious question). it looks like Kurt and Chris on the left
    FCN = 4
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Godzilla-facepalm.png
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    Ah, you can always rely on the good people of BR
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    tree11.gif
  • vermin wrote:
    tree11.gif

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg
  • mtb-idle
    380986_10150428592810817_2023746543_n.jpg
    FCN = 4
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    facepalm.gif
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    tactical-facepalm.jpg
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Cool story, bro.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    Pink Floyd I believe
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    h1645EDBF

is that an early pre-fame iteration of Nirvana? (serious question). it looks like Kurt and Chris on the left
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    h1645EDBF

Pink Floyd?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    Pink-Floyd-Facepalm.jpg
    --
    Chris

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Looks like L-R:
    Dave Gilmour, Nick Mason, Roger Waters, Richard Wright.
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    I'll go with:

Nobody-cares-spongebob.jpg

In fact I actively discare, or I would if that was a word, about your experiences and opinions. I don't think either are important at all if all you have is one datum and no controls.
  • sketchley
    DrLex wrote:
    Looks like L-R:

Think you might have Dave and Rick round the wrong way.....
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    Sketchley wrote:
    DrLex wrote:
    Looks like L-R:

Think you might have Dave and Rick round the wrong way.....

Then again...... you might be correct.....
    --
    Chris

• LiveGiantly
    LiveGiantly Posts: 348
    arran77 wrote:

2cr6g6f.jpg

I wonder what this guy is thinking on his way down to the HARD ground......... :idea:
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • mtb-idle
    arran77 wrote:

2cr6g6f.jpg

I wonder what this guy is thinking on his way down to the HARD ground......... :idea:

that a piece of polystyrene covered with a thin plastic shell won't make any difference?
    FCN = 4
  • MTB-Idle wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

2cr6g6f.jpg

that a piece of polystyrene covered with a thin plastic shell won't make any difference?

more like s*** I hope my bike is ok :lol:
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1