Fully rigid MTB

Comments

• rubez
    rubez Posts: 323
    Price isn't the issue, and it isn't for A-B purposes - hence stronger wheels. I'm not going to pay excessive amounts of money at the same time, since I got rid of the other one, this makes this one essentially free (inc new wheels)

I'm guessing with all the convoluted answers, that there isn't a better off-the-peg bike for the money?

(17" fully rigid rim-brake MTB for £200?)
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Carrera Subway.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Lancew wrote:
    A Carrera Subway will do the job, but as said above its not high spec.

I called this in the 2nd reply.....
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • rubez
    Nope, they are all suspension and/or disc brakes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    16kg of awesomeness that bike, he'll just smash through the rocks.

Holy cow. Thats near enough as heavy as my downhill bike and thats with super heavy tyres fitted at the moment.

At £250 it's a good buy considering the scrap value of all that metal.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Ask elsewhere then. Everyone else sees the value in disc brakes on an MTB, most see the same in front suspension.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carrera-Subwa ... 417e22e4fe

Buy.

Spend whatever you have left on some sort of treatment for whatever mental issue(s) that you have.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Deja vu.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Did anyone mention deja vu?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Parktools anyone?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    cooldad wrote:
    Did anyone mention deja vu?

No, but I have a feeling this has happened before. :wink:
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    cooldad wrote:
    Deja vu.

oooh French, classy.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    16kg of awesomeness that bike, he'll just smash through the rocks.

Holy cow. Thats near enough as heavy as my downhill bike and thats with super heavy tyres fitted at the moment.

At £250 it's a good buy considering the scrap value of all that metal.

Well, he wont be stopping it with rim brakes, so it may well end up as scrap metal.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    FFS.

That's all.
  • lancew
    rubez wrote:
    Nope, they are all suspension and/or disc brakes.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534

All that travel? All those discs?

Theres 3 of them right there. As I called about a month ago this guy is a troll, and I don't understand how he still has an account.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Lancew wrote:
    As I called about a month ago this guy is a troll, and I don't understand how he still has an account.

But he's a gentle and mildly amusing troll, so no harm done.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rubez
    I was looking under MTB, since you know, that's what I'm after... and they were all disc/suspension - these are all hybrids, whatever that is.

They look like something Mary Poppins would ride. What is so good supposedly about these Subway's?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's the same frame and wheels as the MTB's, a hybrid is a 'hybrid' between a road bike and an MTB, in this case it's an MTB with rigid forks and just road type tyres instead of knobblies, just what you ordered.

If you can't use the search word 'subway' on the halfords website, then I see no point suggesting anything.

What is good about them is they are tough, very tough, tougher than a film with Arnie, Sly and Bruce as the wimpy ones, tougher than a Tesco 'frying steak'.....given your ability to mash parts tough is good.

They aren't brilliant well specced (so the components are tougher than the lightweight expensive stuff) and they do exactly what they are meant to do. They are the Golf of the bike world, unremarkable, just do what they are meant to do and do it well.

Did I mention they are tough?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    The Rookie wrote:
    It's the same frame and wheels as the MTB's, a hybrid is a 'hybrid' between a road bike and an MTB, in this case it's an MTB with rigid forks and just road type tyres instead of knobblies, just what you ordered.

If you can't use the search word 'subway' on the halfords website, then I see no point suggesting anything.

What is good about them is they are tough, very tough, tougher than a film with Arnie, Sly and Bruce as the wimpy ones, tougher than a Tesco 'frying steak'.....given your ability to mash parts tough is good.

They aren't brilliant well specced (so the components are tougher than the lightweight expensive stuff) and they do exactly what they are meant to do. They are the Golf of the bike world, unremarkable, just do what they are meant to do and do it well.

Did I mention they are tough?

If thats not convincing enough for you then Rubez, I don't know what is! Take on board the advice and buy the Subway but do keep up the good work on here! :lol:
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • rubez
    Hmm... how can a hybrid between a road and a mountain bike, be tougher than just a full-on, what I would have thought, uncompromised MTB?

Seems nonsensical.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    rubez wrote:
    Seems nonsensical.

Then it's ideal for you
  • rubez
    So it's just a made-up type of bike?

A marketing gimmick probably.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Nope, a made-up type of bike would be the rubezacycle.

Which is what I think you're looking for.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    rubez wrote:

No, it's made of dilithium crystals which makes it really fast.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rubez
    The Raleigh is back in stock elsewhere, so good news 8)
  • The Rookie
    Sheesh it has 95% the same components as some of the mountain bike, it has tough steel forks that similar to mountain bikes used before suspension, the only thing not MTB on it are the tyres....Halfords could have called it an Urban MTB, or with knobbly tyres a rigid MTB, but it's all about marketing so they called it a Hybrid, what they call it is of less relevance than what it is! (which is tough)

Lots of people sell 'hybrids' they range from bikes which are effectivley short travel MTB's with an 'all terrain' tyre through to what looks like a road bike with flat bars, it's a whole family of bikes and there is a significant overlap at the MTB end with bikes sold as MTB's.

the Subway is much better than the Raleigh.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    After 11 pages you are trying logic? Seriously?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    I'm a persistent bar steward....I also believe no-one is all bad!
  • lancew
    rubez wrote:

No its not a marketing gimmick it is an accurate description of what it is.

It is a bike designed to do a bit of both i.e. it is a mountain bike WITHOUT suspension (which you established is for wimps) and a road bike WITHOUT drops or skinny tyres.

So what we end up with is sort of like a mix between the two, and because of the wonderful English language we are able to describe this in one simple word: Hybrid.

So what we've actually discovered is that you expected us to link you to every bike we suggested, and that telling you the name just wasn't enough. I think I've now worked out why you smashed your last wheels, because you're clearly too lazy to put any work in.
  • rubez
    It is marketing gimmick, for sure.

Cars aren't classified by which tyres it has on, neither should bikes be... especially since they are easily changed by the user with no special tools.

And by your logic, you can't ride a MTB on tarmac... or at that point, does it become a 'hybrid'? :lol:

Also, MTB's have existed for many years without suspension, now all of a sudden they aren't real MTB's? :roll: Please!