Fully rigid MTB

Comments

• Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    rubez wrote:
    Don't know why you all gush over parktools, maybe it provides useful info, but it is just a vehicle to sell their overpriced gear.

Perhaps sheldonbrown will appeal to you more.
  • rubez
    rubez Posts: 323
    Ok, sounds do-able.

Can always file it down some more if I am still hitting the SFN.

Parktools/sheldonbrown... I read over the parktools section for forks. I was wanting a more human, understandable answer, since I am coming from a point of knowing nothing about the technical details.

I will follow the guide when I am actually operating, and got the bike in bits, then I'm sure it will make more sense. For now it is more like mumbo jumbo :D
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Don't forget to post pictures
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063

Lol!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078

In this thread I'd like to have seen some "before" pictures - I've a sneaking suspicion the destruction isn't that bad.

Funnily enough and getting all the way back to the OP's original post, I saw a very smart and shiny fully rigid MTB last night - it was a Trek, and the rigid fork wasn't holding it back on the trail.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • rubez
    The wheels I have now take the centre lock rotors, so I'm thinking these will be fine.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-rt54-centre-lock-disc-rotor/rp-prod117205

Can I use the same nut I used to remove the cassette, to put the rotors on the wheel?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And by nut you mean tool.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:
    And by nut you mean tool.

Clever...
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    This is my favorite thread ever! :) rubez I really think your threads should be moved to the crudcatcher, they're that good. Keep up the good work.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    rubez wrote:
    The wheels I have now take the centre lock rotors, so I'm thinking these will be fine.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-rt54-centre-lock-disc-rotor/rp-prod117205

Can I use the same nut I used to remove the cassette, to put the rotors on the wheel?

If they are the original Alex rims wheels on your cube analog they aren't centre lock, they are 6 bolt for the brake rotors, I had one and it's a good solid bike, even if it's a little low tech, can't see how you've done that much damage to one.

Think pictures of the damage are needed
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Antm81 wrote:
    rubez wrote:

If they are the original Alex rims wheels on your cube analog they aren't centre lock, they are 6 bolt for the brake rotors, I had one and it's a good solid bike, even if it's a little low tech, can't see how you've done that much damage to one.

Think pictures of the damage are needed
    I think you're wasting your time. A lot of random posts ago I think he bought new wheels.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rubez
    Right so, I need a fully rigid V-brake bike again.

Done the Cube up and it sold off... apart from anything else, I want a smaller frame. The thing is unwieldy, even if I went down the road of replacing the forks.

I am looking for full rigid, V-brakes and a 17" frame... pretty rare these days I think.

I just want to check I can't do any better than this (for the money) - I have preordered it elsewhere for £200, only problem is it isn't out on a 17" until the middle of May at the earliest. I'd be surprised if I could any anything better for £200 - but I am disappointed about the delay.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_1031938_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

What you think, stick with the pre-order?
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    Rubez, you're back. Just what everybody needs on a dull Monday afternoon. That bike seems great for your intended use of breaking it, moan about it, change everything about it, then spend a load of cash on it and then finally selling it on. Good choice!!
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • Angus Young
    edited April 2014
    brucie45 wrote:
    Rubez, you're back. Just what everybody needs on a dull Monday afternoon. That bike seems great for your intended use of breaking it, moan about it, change everything about it, then spend a load of cash on it and then finally selling it on. Good choice!!

Don't forget how much more control he'll have as his wheels ricochet off rocks and boulders.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    This thread if fkin amazing. The amount of "misguidedness" is unbelievable :D

Rubez, if you want a full rigid bike with V brakes, then bag yourself a Carrera Subway if you want to get one quickly

Sod that Halfords Raleigh.

This is what i would do:

Do your research, find out what you actually want, what frames would be good for you, what are the best components for what you want and your price range and stuff like that...

Then get yourself a good 2nd hand frame off eBay, Find an ideal rigid fork for it from carbon cycles or similar. (you dont need to get suspension corrected forks, but its best to do that to keep the geometry of your frame as it should be) I know you like your "control" (lol) so having a slightly shorter fork will sharpen the front end up.

Now that you have a frame and fork sorted out, go about collecting the rest of your bits and bobs. Maybe have a look at a brand new groupset that comes without disc brakes (or you can get them with and sell the disc brakes off for a bit of cash). By groupset i mean something like this. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/grou ... t=pricelow

If you are going for budget wheels which i noticed you talking about earlier, eBay might be a good idea. You can find shops that sell cheap wheels brand new (im using a set at the moment and are totally fine for XC). And obviously you can get a cheap 2nd hand set.

I also ride a rigid bike at the moment. You might want to have a look at my Chucker thread in my signature link to see how mine is. I did mine on a tight-ish budget.

Hope this helps...
  • 97th choice
    brucie45 wrote:

Don't forget how much more control he'll have as his wheels ricochet of rocks and boulders.

16kg of awesomeness that bike, he'll just smash through the rocks.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Angus Young
    16kg of awesomeness that bike, he'll just smash through the rocks.

Wow. Must be made of anvils.
  • brucie45
    This thread if fkin amazing. The amount of "misguidedness" is unbelievable :D

Rubez, if you want a full rigid bike with V brakes, then bag yourself a Carrera Subway if you want to get one quickly

Sod that Halfords Raleigh.

This is what i would do:

Do your research, find out what you actually want, what frames would be good for you, what are the best components for what you want and your price range and stuff like that...

Then get yourself a good 2nd hand frame off eBay, Find an ideal rigid fork for it from carbon cycles or similar. (you dont need to get suspension corrected forks, but its best to do that to keep the geometry of your frame as it should be) I know you like your "control" (lol) so having a slightly shorter fork will sharpen the front end up.

Now that you have a frame and fork sorted out, go about collecting the rest of your bits and bobs. Maybe have a look at a brand new groupset that comes without disc brakes (or you can get them with and sell the disc brakes off for a bit of cash). By groupset i mean something like this. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/grou ... t=pricelow

If you are going for budget wheels which i noticed you talking about earlier, eBay might be a good idea. You can find shops that sell cheap wheels brand new (im using a set at the moment and are totally fine for XC). And obviously you can get a cheap 2nd hand set.

I also ride a rigid bike at the moment. You might want to have a look at my Chucker thread in my signature link to see how mine is. I did mine on a tight-ish budget.

Hope this helps...

I think you maybe waisting your time there GT, what you say is perfectly good advice, but its wasted on Rubez :lol:
  • rubez
    I know it seems unbelievable, but I just want to drop £200 on a rigid bike that goes and be done with it. I'm not going to construct one. I may change the wheels to Mavic's, that's it.

You probably all drive crappy "A-B" type motors, I don't laugh at them - gets the job done - same with this bike.
  • 97th choice
    buy a single speed vitus then.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Go get a used Carrera Subway, circa £100-120 for V-braked models, very tough, rigid and pretty bombproof including the perfectly functional Formula wheels. Uses the same frame as the mountain bikes and also basically the same wheels.

Come back when you want to make it more comfortable and stop better when it's muddy.

Our family have no crappy A-B motors, none of the 6 is 'normal'!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rubez
    Not gonna get a second hand one with wear and tear already built-in.

Why would anyone want to make their MTB comfortable?! That's kinda against the whole point.
  • Angus Young
    Right. Because the point of mountain biking is to be uncomfortable. You should take up climbing - we wear our shoes two sizes too small. Should be right up your street.
  • rubez
    That's not the point in it, but it certainly isn't a comfortable activity, is it?

You afraid of getting muddy too? :lol:
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    rubez wrote:
    Not gonna get a second hand one with wear and tear already built-in.

Why would anyone want to make their MTB comfortable?! That's kinda against the whole point.

Ey? The point of mountain biking is that its supposed to be enjoyable and a way of staying/keeping fit. Not to be uncomfortable.

Mountain biking shouldnt be uncomfortable unless you have the setup of your bike wrong for you, or having the wrong bike for the job. Like going through a rock garden on that Halfords Raleigh with the tyres at 50 PSI.
  • brucie45
    rubez wrote:
    I know it seems unbelievable, but I just want to drop £200 on a rigid bike that goes and be done with it. I'm not going to construct one. I may change the wheels to Mavic's, that's it.

You probably all drive crappy "A-B" type motors, I don't laugh at them - gets the job done - same with this bike.

Why may you change the wheels to mavics?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    he doesn't intend to, it's just to get comments back.

He lives under a bridge and is in fear of big male goats with deep voices.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    This all makes no sense.

That's the answer you were hoping for right, rubez?
  • rubez
    Better looking, stronger.

Deez ones, in black:

http://www.merlincycles.com/pair-handbuilt-wheels-26-non-disc-48983.html
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Ok, I'll give you your model answer

So your upgrading your wheels for aesthetics, after saying you're buying a cheap bike for a-b purposes.

Said wheels cost £100, half the price of your whole bike...

Poor effort rubez.