Crank boots

The secret rider
The secret rider Posts: 812
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Does anyone know of any crank boots hat fit the larger carbon cranks such as FSA SL-K

The race face ones do not fit. They are too small. ( now have some black ones for sale if anyone needs them, add to follow )

I've looked on google but can't find any answers.

Thnaks

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    if you must - tape?
  • if you must - tape?

I want crank boots not tape ...
  • Bump
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Bump it all you want - you've had a sensible answer and didn't like it.

Tried googling for neoprene tubes? What diameter would fit? Give us some details.

See, if you want a sensible answer, you can't be expecting us to be psychic.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Clank wrote:
    Bump it all you want - you've had a sensible answer and didn't like it.

Tried googling for neoprene tubes? What diameter would fit? Give us some details.

See, if you want a sensible answer, you can't be expecting us to be psychic.

Sorry I don't consider "tape" a sensible answer at all.

No I've not tried googling that I was hoping this thread would provide such useful tips I will google it/them now

The crank arm is aprox 42mm wide

The race face ones don't fit, I think because the they taper down to the curve but still need to go on more, on the crank morning the hole is to low down the crank arm and also they are not on all the way due to the square style end on the crank arm.

Hope this provides some usable info

Thanks
  • Clank
    Are you after protecting the length of the arm or just the end? 'Crankskin' or 'crankendz'?

Either way, try dropping an email to ej@crankskins.com and asking them.

If that fails, I'm sure there's something that can be made to achieve the desired effect.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    sugru and fashion your own, probably best to rough up the lacquer first
  • Yes I have applied some heli tape to the arms but my ally ones are battered from scuffing rocks etc with the ends

The race face boots would be perfect but just not wide enough :(

I have taken your advise and emailed those guys hope they can help
  • Clank
    If it's for the ends of the arm then, yeah, I can see why tape wouldn't be your first choice.

I've seen Sugru used for the application too. Seems to do an ok job at it, too.

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    or shrink wrap might work. Shrink it on, twist and fold back then shrink again. Like making a beanie with a buff.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If you're this rough on cranks perhaps carbon isn't for you?
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    The race face boots would be perfect but just not wide enough :(

I'm surprised that they (or someone else) hasn't made them available in more fits tbh. I'd buy a pair in a second if they did some to fit my FSA crank ends.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868

This

Or at least check to see if you can get a boot for them if you're that bothered before splashin presumably sizable cash on some cranks...
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

Really? I don't live anywhere rocky, but still pick up scuffs/chips in the ends of my cranks, I'd not be put off using carbon.

Sugru seems as good a shout as any!