Pub Talk - Greatest Cycling Photo Ever!

Comments

• RonB wrote:
    Anyone know the race/story?

Looks like Freddy Maertens second in that shot on the Flandria team with the WC stripes, which would mean my guess is a classic during the 1982 season. Or 1977 since he was WC in 1976 and 1981, or am I missing something?

It would have to be '77 as De Vlaeminck wasn't riding for Brooklyn in '82. Looks like Roubaix to me.
  • RonB wrote:

It would have to be '77 as De Vlaeminck wasn't riding for Brooklyn in '82. Looks like Roubaix to me.

Assuming it's Roubaix - this was De Vlaeminck's 4th victory, winning alone ahead of Willy Teirlinck and Maertens in third. It came a week after the infamous 'bike change' Tour of Flanders when Maertens was DQ'd in favour of De Vlaeminck.

First Frenchman was Raymond Poulidor, 12th in his final Roubaix aged 41 years and 2 days. A place ahead of him was another making his final bow, Eddy Merckx. Bernard Hinault was a DNF, but two days later would win his first classic at Ghent-Wevelgem. So the wheel turns!

Adapted from: A Century of Paris Roubaix, Pascal Sergent.

• Nardello looks a bit like Rich-tea Porte in that photo.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Even though he's out of focus, you can still see Christophe Moreau (and his ever present tongue) in the background.
  • Booner69
    Booner69 Posts: 31
    Hinault attacked 80km out on the 1980 Giro (Stelvio stage) and joined his teammate J R Bernaudeau. They worked together and JRB won the stage and Hinault the GC. Old school heavyweight.

badger.jpg?t=1396118047

This is a fabulous photo :-)
  • Not enough Paris Roubaix photos in this thread...

paris-roubaix-arenberg.jpg

PRX2.jpeg

dscn0077.jpg

(Although upon reflection, this last one could have easily been taken somewhere in Belgium...)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tumblr_n3d3tdn5lA1sqtg0zo1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224

Nardello looks a bit like Rich-tea Porte in that photo.

I thought that too.

I seem to remember that despite Nardello reputedly having a perennial weight issue, at one late 90's Tour he was recorded as having the lowest body fat percentage of any rider there. Sounds familiar… ("and that's his lungs - not fat", apparently)
    2003_12_10-Ullrich_shocks-1min36sec.jpg
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Hinault attacked 80km out on the 1980 Giro (Stelvio stage) and joined his teammate J R Bernaudeau. They worked together and JRB won the stage and Hinault the GC. Old school heavyweight.

badger.jpg?t=1396118047

This photo also has something 'handbuilt by robots' in it!
  • frenchfighter
    Always hard to find photos of Bettini but Velonews provides a ton of great ones here:
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/04/ ... ini_322187

1110.jpg
    212-659x440.jpg

This one is poignant. Crushing Lombardia soon after his brother was killed. Beautiful.
    231-659x440.jpg

Would have so love to been able to see this real racer pushing on the pedals in anger.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I was in Como for that. Bettini and Wegmann clear as they descended into town, before heading out to the San Fermo, then Bettini arrives alone to win, with the crowd roaring in appreciation.
  • Oxygen
    roche-620x452.png

Moser, '84
    moser84.jpg

Abdoujaparov - OUCH!
    130620184538-tour11-horizontal-gallery.jpg

The Gent...
    SimpsonMajorTom62TdF.jpg
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Shouty jongen aan de Muur.

270-RTR2KRN8.jpg

Worth a bump considering this weekend and my personal favourite (I have a print of it up in the garage)
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    jam1e wrote:
    wiggins-froome_2281868b.jpg

Probably not many will agree but it definitely encapsulates TDF 2012.
    Certainly tells us that crossing the line after a monstrous climb and still wearing yellow feels much nicer than being a domestique!
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551

Snap. I just chucked this in the flanders discussion... :wink:
  • frenchfighter
    Great minds! Love that site for photos. They repeat them for Flanders, Roubaix and MSR each year but always worth another look.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Daz555 wrote:
    jam1e wrote:
    wiggins-froome_2281868b.jpg

Probably not many will agree but it definitely encapsulates TDF 2012.
    Certainly tells us that crossing the line after a monstrous climb and still wearing yellow feels much nicer than being a domestique!

He's so smiley :).
  • frenchfighter
    rvv82_seankelly.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rvv82_seankelly.jpg

Oooh, I like that one. Anyone know what the climb is?
  • frenchfighter
    Caption on the photo is:
    The mighty Sean kelly battles his way up the infamous Kemmelberg in 1982
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I think that photo of Sean Kelly dates from 1988, not 1982.

DD.
  • CRIQUIELION-Claude.jpg
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Love the tangible agony in this one, and the way it looks like a Ben Hur chariot with Guimard as Charlton Heston. Fignon screwing up his eyes......

13692591524_5ea89387c4.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    CRIQUIELION-Claude.jpg

That's a strange one, background and kit make it look much older than the bike suggests. I know the black and white probably helps with that but the spectators and street just look like 50s / 60s.
  • Pross wrote:
    That's a strange one, background and kit make it look much older than the bike suggests. I know the black and white probably helps with that but the spectators and street just look like 50s / 60s.

'88 Worlds innit!