The area around the Kingston Gate of RiP nice place to live?

2»

Comments

• davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    okgo wrote:
    @Davemags That's Berrylands though isn't it, and most people don't really class that as Surbiton (apart from possibly people that live there).

I know the area fairly well (along with North Kingson) having done uber amounts of house hunting two years ago and made a point of doing it on foot. According to the street signs, and the post office it is Surbiton. There is a point where Berrylands then becomes Tolworth, but someone else get onto Google to find where the border is. The same is true for what you appear to believe is Surbiton proper, which actually becomes Surrey when you a little down Balaclava Road.

At one point I could pretty much call the valuation on a street on North Kingston and Surbiton to within £10-£20k of what the estate agents would go for. Berrylands was however hard, as prices can drop by £100,000 between individual streets, and I have no idea why. It wasn't always the timed walk to Surbiton station either that did it.

Anyway, my point being for the OP; Based on a lot of viewings and walking about my observation is that the era of the house typically means a certain layout and garden size. North Kingston costs more for the same square footage, which is nearer the shops but with an inferior train line.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    We won't get into who knows the area better (I have been an estate agent in the area and lived there for years) but I can assure you nobody living in Surbiton thinks Berrrylands is part of it :)

Borders are as much based on geography as they are desirability. Berrylands is cheaper than Surbiton and North Kingston for sure. Surbiton proper is very comparable.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Berrylands does have a lovely Sewerage works, as a property owned in 'old surbiton' I am very keen to point out Berrylands and Tolworth are not Surbiton.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Berrylands does have a lovely Sewerage works, as a property owned in 'old surbiton' I am very keen to point out Berrylands and Tolworth are not Surbiton.

It's known as smellylands for a reason.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    We moved to Epsom from Tooting 13 years ago and sometimes wish we'd chosen over by Kingston

Bit late now unless I treble my salary
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    WarrenG wrote:
    We moved to Epsom from Tooting 13 years ago and sometimes wish we'd chosen over by Kingston

Bit late now unless I treble my salary

6 years ago we had a choice of Walton on Thames or Epsom and chose Walton just because the trains were more frequent and there were fewer cancellations.

Of course I cycle to work and Mrs A immediately got a new job. In Epsom.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    Geez

Is everyone on this forum absolutely loaded?! :o
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    No.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    corriebee1 wrote:
    Geez

Is everyone on this forum absolutely loaded?! :o

On the contrary; we are all saddled with massive mortgage debt.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    I live on the same street as Veronessy and agree with all he says, but would add that the plots in Kingston are typically quite small unless you grab something a little out of the ordinary. Also, North Kingston is where you want to be for the primary schools (KT2 postcode), of which there are about six outstandings.

Even the state secondary school has sorted its life out and is now outstanding, with a new North Kingston secondary being built in the next couple of years.

Shops mean Kingston, although there's a great (read bloody expensive) fishmongers and butchers at Norbiton. There's a good variety of pubs, more importantly!

Trains into Waterloo are every 15 minutes with two additional ones an hour at peak am times. Sunday its two an hour. 27 minutes to Waterloo, allegedly.

All in all, with the park, the river, a John Lewis and a Sigma Sport to keep everyone happy you could do a lot worse.