Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited April 2014
    Deleted comment.

Having a terrible morning. Sorry.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    the really annoying ones are the full page ones that don't seem to have a close option so then you can't even see the content on the site you wanted.

Will have to install my blocking ad on to this browser
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    sjmclean wrote:
    Download **Nobody likes ads but they pay for the site so please have the class not to whine about them** and all your worries are gone.

:D:D:D
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    They don't bother me apart from when I'm on the tablet, end up clicking on the beggars all the time where they are on the borders (Sure that is intentional though).
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Paul 8v wrote:
    They don't bother me apart from when I'm on the tablet, end up clicking on the beggars all the time where they are on the borders (Sure that is intentional though).

I find they are worst on the tablet. For some reason don't have the same issue on mobile. I wouldn't mind them if they loaded at the same time, but instead I find the page loads, I'm about to click and then it resizes to fit the ad.

No issue with ads, just how they are presented/managed.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I put up with them on my iPad. They're a little irritating because I often think the page has finished loading, so I click as it moves so I end up in the wrong subforum...

On my PC they are, of course, blocked. I might create an exception in ABP though, because they do pay for the forum... Although I imagine that it is clicks that are counted, and not views?
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    No issues on my iPad either anymore thanks to some clever advice from people elsewhere on this forum. Prior to that I'd more or less given up on the site as they were so irritating.
  • Pross wrote:
    No issues on my iPad either anymore thanks to some clever advice from people elsewhere on this forum. Prior to that I'd more or less given up on the site as they were so irritating.

Post the link or re-post the advice please
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    or PM please...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Hi All

Is there a way of stopping or closing these full page ads on a PC?

I can't find a close button and the only way I can get rid of them is to go back/re-search Bikeradar (and sometimes they come up again).

Fully understand the rationale behind advertising and not moaning about it at all - just want a close button!

Thank you very much
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Well, the advertising thread just seems to be a bottomless pit of moans with no feedback, so here`s another thread to hopefully highlight the issue again.

These adverts are a nightmare. The full page pop up ads are the worst I have ever seen on any website, and put me off visiting the forum.
    Surely they can be stopped ?
    Come on admin, get it sorted.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • XR600
    XR600 Posts: 3
    Bikeradar is by far the worst web site I visit, which is a pity because it has some of the best content for all cyclists.
    If you use another browser to IE such as Firefox, then you can install an ad blocker to tame the site.
    The site owners are obviously quite happy to alienate 99% of its readers, in order to please the advertisers, who in turn pay them to be allowed to ruin the end users experience. Its been like this for years. I have never been positively influenced by any of the intrusive advertising on Bikerader, even when it occupied 100% of the screen, in fact the exact opposite, but the advertisers and site owners are just too stupid / slow on the uptake to see this.
  • Amazing ! admin dump my new thread into the very thread I said was pointless, then don`t even post a reply to it.

Is this really what the forum thinks of its members ??

Pretty shabby.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    ITS GETTING WORSE.

JUST HAD A FULL PAGE ADVERT APPEAR KALEIDESCOPE STYLE WITH A VIDEO FRAME IN THE MIDDLE. NOTHING ON THIS EARTH WOULD EVER MAKE ME CLICK THAT VIDEO.

WHAT LIES MUST THE OWNERS OF BIKE RADAR BE TELLING THE ADVERTISERS AS TO THERE EFFECTIVENESS!!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Amazing ! admin dump my new thread into the very thread I said was pointless, then don`t even post a reply to it.

Is this really what the forum thinks of its members ??

Pretty shabby.
    Yes as this is why this thread exists so that when someone who can do stuff can see all the issues.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cedargreen
    cedargreen Posts: 189
    On the verge of giving up on bikeradar as the site is becoming unusable due to these ads.

Doesn't appear to be any response from bikeradar regarding this issue.
  • Not been on here for a few weeks because of the adds and had hoped they might have been put under control by now but NO!

It took maybe 10 attempts just to get the home page to load tonight without a full page add taking over. Who in their right mind can think thats a good way to run a web site! whats wrong with these people!? this use to be a really great site but is just way too frustrating to bother with now :-(
  • cedargreen
    cedargreen Posts: 189
    'Discuss the website with the team' is the title of this subforum.

This thread has been running since before Christmas and now extends to 4 pages with people who are finding the site almost unusable due to irritating pop-up ads.

The response from bikeradar? A big fat nothing. Clearly no-one at bikeradar cares that the site is becoming unusable, and neither do they seem interested in responding to users.

Can anyone suggest an alternative UK cycling forum- I want to leave bikeradar because I can't be bothered to make up to 6 attempts to view the forum each time, and because I avoid dealing with organisations which treat customers with contempt.
  • But at least have the decency to reply to the myriad of complaints about the ridiculous adverts that dominate this forum.

At the minute, this website is the pits, but then I suppose if it makes you money, you couldn't give a damn how it does it eh ??
  • Unbelievable.

At least have the decency to comment.

What an insult.
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Just checked this again to see if anyone had posted how to block these pop-up and size changing ads, no joy how do you do that ? Will someone who knows pm me please?

Main thing though is being shocked to see such a long thread with so many users saying the same thing and no replies! Yes ads may pay for the site but without users there will be no site! Seriously fed up with this, give us back our forum in a usable format please.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Sorry for the lack of response from BikeRadar editorial on this one. There's just not much we can say, other than it's certainly been discussed at the appropriate levels. It's a serious issue balancing the commercial needs of the site vs the needs of its readers and the publisher ultimately makes the call as to what he think is best. Rest assured that will change over time and (I'm fairly sure) will favour the readers while still keeping the commercial side intact.

Ads (who are aware of this thread) likely won't comment. Their contact details are under Sales and Licensing here http://www.bikeradar.com/static/about/ but I can't guarantee a response.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Triarbour
    Triarbour Posts: 8
    Is it just me or... have the adds gone?... i logged in today to the home page then the forums with no adds at all! :)
  • OK, enough is enough.

I know you have to raise funds in advertising, but your site has slowly got more ridiculous to load and access over the past year. The home screen is riddled with ads, the most annoying being the top bar ad that forces down the whole page, just when you're about to click on something, then forcing you to click on something you didnt want.

Pages take ages to load, with stupid advertising pop ups that again, force the page down.

Everything takes ages to navigate now, i stop myself from selecting anything because i truly dont know if the page has finished loading all the bloody ads.

Sort it out Bikeradar, i like the content, but the site is becoming unmanageable and im on fiber-optic broadband!!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    OK, enough is enough.

I know you have to raise funds in advertising, but your site has slowly got more ridiculous to load and access over the past year. The home screen is riddled with ads, the most annoying being the top bar ad that forces down the whole page, just when you're about to click on something, then forcing you to click on something you didnt want.

Pages take ages to load, with stupid advertising pop ups that again, force the page down.

Everything takes ages to navigate now, i stop myself from selecting anything because i truly dont know if the page has finished loading all the bloody ads.

Sort it out Bikeradar, i like the content, but the site is becoming unmanageable and im on fiber-optic broadband!!

On the old MacBook I ended up installing some ad blocker about a year back, this site is the only site that I needed it for, though has last few days not been too bad on the iPad, in fact no adverts for the last few days.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Triarbour wrote:
    Is it just me or... have the adds gone?... i logged in today to the home page then the forums with no adds at all! :)

No they haven't gone. Some days they are there and some days they are not. I'm not anal enough to log days and times when they don't appear but there could be a pattern.
  • AS THE TITLE SAYS!!

Its getting ridiculous, i can barely navigate around some of your pages.

if it carries on i will simply give up using this site.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    A while back a kindly soul posted how to get rid of the adverts that make this website unreadable. Recently the adverts came back :x , does anyone know a way to get rid of them again? I don't mind discrete banners but the way the adverts here work completely ruin the website.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    There is a word whose name shall not be mentioned on this site, as it's deemed ungrateful to the advertisers who pay for it, but there are ways to Block an Ad - I'm sure if you Google it, you'll get some ideas.

It's only when I'm on the work computer I see what a mess the site is with all the adverts and things wobbling about in front of my face.