Cyclist down Ludgate Circus

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2014 in Commuting chat
Just heard this from a friend who was walking past and a bit shaken up having seen it. Desperately sad.

Lorry and cyclist

http://www.itv.com/news/london/update/2 ... h-a-lorry/

Comments

• Looks like the old classic, left turning tipper lorry http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/c ... 35134.html
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Oh look, a tipper lorry, what a surprise. Thoughts go out to the family.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Very sad. RIP.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Awful. One of these days it will be someone I know.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    That lorry must have been moved since the incident, its a long way from the kerb in the pics, I saw the pics and thought it must have been a head on.

RIP :(
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • talius
    talius Posts: 282
    Think it was a head-on, by the eye witness account in the standard. Tragic, RIP.
    Merckx EMX 5
    Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    very sad. condolences to his family and friends. RIP.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • Jamie1966
    Jamie1966 Posts: 38
    ah this has happened outside my office :( So sad down there atm

Thoughts are with there family
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Ah crap, went through their earlier too... RIP
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I know that road well. So tragic :(
  • How many cyclists have to die before action is taken? Is the current level seen as an acceptable attritional rate by the powers that be? I can only assume they are as lorries, tippers, coaches all continue to use the same roads as cyclists.

Heart goes out to the friends and family of the latest victim.
  • LiveGiantly
    LiveGiantly Posts: 348
    very sad and just terrible!! R.I.P my fellow cyclist....

Get these lorries out of central London during peak times.....!!
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    RIP :(
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Standard quotes say 'under the front' and 'both turning left'.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    The BBC don't appear to have picked this story up (looking on their website at least).

My office isn't far from this spot, and I have ridden through there a couple of times recent when visiting the nearby Evans Cycles. Very sad that someone has lost their life, and likely someone has lost of a loved one. A stark reminder.

Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Very sad, condolences to family and friends.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Very sad - I ride through there everyday and had a very close call with a truck at that junction once.

The traffic is really backed-up in the evenings through there at the moment too - the light phases for the filter down to Blackfriars ramp appear to be very poorly timed and makes filtering all along that part of the route very difficult.
  • I was at the crossing when this happened. The truck was turning left, the cyclist going straight on. All of us on the crossing where shouting at the truck driver to stop - it was just too late. My deepest sympathy to the family. So so sorry.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    I was at the crossing when this happened. The truck was turning left, the cyclist going straight on. All of us on the crossing where shouting at the truck driver to stop - it was just too late. My deepest sympathy to the family. So so sorry.

Sounds awful :(

So was the truck driver at fault? The witness statements on the standard seem a bit mixed. I dont know that junction personally so dont know how badly it's designed.
  • LiveGiantly
    I was at the crossing when this happened. The truck was turning left, the cyclist going straight on. All of us on the crossing where shouting at the truck driver to stop - it was just too late. My deepest sympathy to the family. So so sorry.

OH NO... :shock:

RIP again
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476

So was the truck driver at fault? The witness statements on the standard seem a bit mixed. I dont know that junction personally so dont know how badly it's designed.

Impossible to tell. There is an ASL but there is also enough space for a lorry (positioned to the right to take the left turn) for a cyclist to go up the inside should the lights be green. Obviously we don't know if the lorry was indicating, who got to the junction first ect..

What we do know is that its tragic. RIP.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506

Horrible. Regardless of fault, blame etc, that's simply very, very sad. You have my sympathy, as (obviously) does the family and friends, for what little it means.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Jamie1966
    Jamie1966 Posts: 38
    I noticed the everning standard has updated it news on this..
    The truck driver, a 53-year-old man, stopped at the scene. He has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving and is in custody at a central London police station, a spokeswoman for City Police said.

from http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/c ... 35134.html
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Jamie1966 wrote:
    I noticed the everning standard has updated it news on this..
    The truck driver, a 53-year-old man, stopped at the scene. He has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving and is in custody at a central London police station, a spokeswoman for City Police said.

from http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/c ... 35134.html

yeah I saw this as well: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cy ... 053529.ece

Felt bad asking who was at fault - he obviously didn't set out to kill anyone and the relatives are going through hell at the moment :(
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Most drivers probably don't set out to kill anyone either.
    But they occasionally do.
    There are no winners, but plenty of losers every time this happens

Unfortunately a moment's inattention or poor decision has a much greater impact if from a lorry / HGV driver.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I can see how this kind of thing can happen, as I had a very narow escape with a car that was turning left...

I was approaching a set of traffic light (x-roads), coming up the inside where there was space (not sure if it was a white lined cycle way), I slowed as I approched the lights, then the lights turned green so I kept going. The first car at the lights wasn't indicating, he moved forwards on the green light and swung left into me as I undertook him. The car's front wing met my bars, but fortunately he saw what was happening and stopped, I managed to keep on my bike (just) and once over the lights the driver and I spoke. We were both a little shaken.

My view it was a 50/50 fault case - I should be more cautious going up the inside, he should have been indicating.

Now I won't go up the inside of anything if its moving or might move as I go passed it. If that car had been a lorry, I'd be squished flat.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • LiveGiantly
    drlodge wrote:
    I can see how this kind of thing can happen, as I had a very narow escape with a car that was turning left...

I was approaching a set of traffic light (x-roads), coming up the inside where there was space (not sure if it was a white lined cycle way), I slowed as I approched the lights, then the lights turned green so I kept going. The first car at the lights wasn't indicating, he moved forwards on the green light and swung left into me as I undertook him. The car's front wing met my bars, but fortunately he saw what was happening and stopped, I managed to keep on my bike (just) and once over the lights the driver and I spoke. We were both a little shaken.

My view it was a 50/50 fault case - I should be more cautious going up the inside, he should have been indicating.

Now I won't go up the inside of anything if its moving or might move as I go passed it. If that car had been a lorry, I'd be squished flat.

Close shave and I hear you on this....!

I'm very weary of junctions, lights.....pretty much everything when I'm cycling.....