Cheshire Cat 2014

RallyBiker
RallyBiker Posts: 378
Kilotogo announce that entries will open 1 Nov for the first sportive in their calender, to run 23 March. Hope the weather is better next year than it was at that time this year! :?
I'm undecided wether to do it or the Whinnlater Challenge, which shares the same date. :cry:

http://www.kilotogo.com/index.php?optio ... vent_id=74

Comments

• ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    I'm in for the 100. Although, like last year, the weather isn't exactly playing ball to allow any decent regular training. Hopefully the rain will stop and the wind will ease and I'll be able to get out more than the once a week i'm averaging at the mo

Anyone else in?
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • I remember when this was considered outrageously expensive and now it's probably one of the cheapest sportives out there... :shock:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    The ones local to me (always aim high) are all £42 this year. :cry:
  • I'm in for the 100, looking forward to Mow Cop as I've never ridden it before, event has a good reputation amongst my club mates, quite a few entered again.
  • ic.
    I rode up Mow Cop on Sunday.

I can report it is still stupid steep at the top.

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • aint called the killer mile for nothing !
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Will be doing this also my first sportive! Just come back from 2months away so going be cycling most days getting ready for this
  • ic.
    Went out and rode the first 70 miles of this route yesterday.

Feels like it's non stop climbing from the bottom on Mow Cop to the top of the Wincle. And don't let the fake top of the Wincle fool you, it ain't over till you join with the main road at the top. There is a dip that makes you think the hard work is behind you, but the steepest part is still to come

Nice run down into Holmes Chapel though afterwards

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Colleague told me today he believed mow cop was in the last quarter of the 100 miles I.e. after 75 miles ;-D

God help him... Lol
  • ic.
    Did anyone do this then?

Rain, wind, hail, bit more wind.

Even some signs in the wrong place causing the 100 mile option to be 105 miles. Bit gutted about that as I was aiming for a silver standard and missed out by a few minutes due to the sign issue and diversion

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • I done it (78Miles) and after walking every hill last year, cycled up every hill this year incl getting my mow cop medal, as a tail end charlie i spent the last 43 miles moaning about empty feed stations, you would think with the £40K of entry fees they could of at least ensured enough for the field, they have lost a reg punter.

Ps Mow Cop is after 15 miles, followed by 25 miles of up and down and then nothingness until the finish
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    They put hills early in most sportives to break up the masses.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • frazered
    Enjoyed it. They need to stop the few raping the feed stops so that others get some. I did not see any empty feed stops but saw some reports.

Plus offer free mugs of tea! Not expensive and better than the rubbish and corrosive energy drink in the yellow vats.
  • effee
    effee Posts: 1
    Did the 75 miles on a folding bike and got the cat in the bag! Really disappointed at the management of the facilities at the feed stations. I was fuelled by energy gels for the duration and High 5 from those dirty looking vats. The mangement could ONLY apologise. Will never rely on a feed station Ever again.The medal is also in the post ( again they had run out when I completed the ride ).
    Lost about 25 minutes recovering from disappointments of the feed stops and was misled by the signs on the return to the finish line. I saw the Long Route and Short / Medium signs again ! Eek I did not want to do those distances again on an empty stomach. " 2 young magenta riders came along about 7 minutes later and ' slip streamed ' me to the finish line. Thank you whoever you were.
    Thanks to all the riders on the day for their respect and company.
    Ride safe and see you at another one ?
  • frazered
    Well done doing it on the fold away! To be fair the KTG event manual says to ensure you are self sufficient and use the feed stops as supplementary.
  • If you have to be self sufficient and you can't rely on the route arrows (not KTG's fault if some hooligan has moved them but still....) what is the point of paying £40? The closed road up Mow Cop was a "nice to have" and so was the goody bag but not £40 worth.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Out on the bike yesterday and there are loads of "cycle event" signs still up - presumably from this ride - I can't think of any other rides that have been up Bolesworth lately ?

What's the point in putting up signs if they can't be arsed taking them down ? If there are signs up there all of the time - drivers won't think there is a bike ride on when there actually is.

It's a poor show and theres no excuse for littering on road signs.
  • ic.
    Bright pink ones? Poor form if so

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • cougie
    Maybe its not the cat then ? Apologies if it isnt !

These were yellow cyclists ahead type signs.

I'd be amazed if it's another sportif that used that road already in March ?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    All the wiggle ones were pink. They had a feed station at the school near me.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • The signs were from the Bolesworth Duathlon held on sunday morning / lunchtime - I would expect they are down by now as they are usually very good about taking them down :-)

Cheers

MW
  • cougie
    Aww dammit. I always forget about that one ! I didn't see anyone racing it - but as you say I'm sure they will be down by now.