Air Pollution

Djd3737
Djd3737 Posts: 82
edited April 2014 in Commuting chat
So ignoring the scare-mongering about the high levels of air pollution in London (and elsewhere) today, I did my usual 20 minute blast through central London at 7:30 this morning.

Now sat in the office with a hacking cough and flem....

Good stuff.

Steve

Comments

• On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    ? just another normal day, I get more issues with the emissions from buses!!!
  • Slight burn in the lungs on the way in, probably no more than usual... but yes... now sitting at work with a weird chesty feeling... that I wish would go away.
    Specialized Dolce Elite - Commuter Bike
    Charge Plug - Pootle Bike
    Ribble R872 - 'Nice' Bike
  • Djd3737
    Djd3737 Posts: 82
    I dunno, don't normally have a full on cough when I get in, could be unrelated I suppose.

Anyone on here wear a mask (should probably look to see if there are already threads on this)?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I set my fastest time home yesterday; 'The pollution, it makes you strong!'
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    fleehouse2 wrote:
    I dunno, don't normally have a full on cough when I get in, could be unrelated I suppose.

Anyone on here wear a mask (should probably look to see if there are already threads on this)?

I have tried one in the past but they are not very pleasant to wear, hot and sweaty plus a build up of snot, mucus is not good. I then only kept it on until I got to Richmond Park, in the end I stopped using it completely.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    This latest smog aside my colleagues are always telling me I need to goto the docs but its definitely the pollution, especially being around the buses. Can't bring myself to wear one of those masks, figure I'll do the same as bdave262000!
  • trouble i find with these pollution masks is that you wear them to stop it getting into your system, but when people go out at lunch i dont see them wearing it then and they are breathing the same fumes in, so what is the point in the first place
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I could actually see the smog in the air about 200 meters in front of me. I suffer from alergies as well, so this smog just means that i am more snotty than normal.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    After a hard effort last night I developed a wheezy cough all night that is still with me today.

The view up the Thames towards London is unreal today with the smog.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Used to live in a little village in Derbyshire in the 60's/70's. Everyone had a coal fire and not this poncy "Smokeless" stuff.
    Combine that with a November fog and you didn't need a weather man to tell you there was a pollution risk.
    Of course it wasn't called pollution then, it was just what happened.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Not sure about it being any worse than usual, I set some quick segment times this morning and feel fine right now...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,488
    trouble i find with these pollution masks is that you wear them to stop it getting into your system, but when people go out at lunch i dont see them wearing it then and they are breathing the same fumes in, so what is the point in the first place

I'd guess you are putting in a bit more effort and breathing a bit harder on the commute than walking round to Pret. I'd encourage people to try using a mask if they have a persistent respiratory problem that appears related to cycling (obviously go to the doctor as well). They take a bit of getting used to and they aren't for everyone, but I much prefer the minor inconvenience of a mask to the irritation of constantly coughing and clearing my throat.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jamie1966 wrote:

Oh my god! From the looks of that map, there's a yellow bit only five miles away from my house!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    rjsterry wrote:
    trouble i find with these pollution masks is that you wear them to stop it getting into your system, but when people go out at lunch i dont see them wearing it then and they are breathing the same fumes in, so what is the point in the first place

I'd guess you are putting in a bit more effort and breathing a bit harder on the commute than walking round to Pret. I'd encourage people to try using a mask if they have a persistent respiratory problem that appears related to cycling (obviously go to the doctor as well). They take a bit of getting used to and they aren't for everyone, but I much prefer the minor inconvenience of a mask to the irritation of constantly coughing and clearing my throat.

This - you don't walk to pret right behind a vehicle in the road do you... Normal mask attire for me but eyes are itchier with no issues. Bro n sis both recovering from bad chest inf's were getting better but last few days has been hard on them and that's just shufflin about the house.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rjsterry wrote:

This - you don't walk to pret right behind a vehicle in the road do you... Normal mask attire for me but eyes are itchier with no issues. Bro n sis both recovering from bad chest inf's were getting better but last few days has been hard on them and that's just shufflin about the house.

well you are most of the time walking next to a road, with exhaust fumes blowing about all over the place you are still breathing it in maybe a little less v02 in your breathing but again you are still sucking it in?
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Balls

Just walked across town (45 mins) in the bloody soup, only just found out about it, throat burning and lungs not happy.

Helpfully, I'm asthmatic. Just fabulous.

Bloody foreigners dumping their mucky air on us...makes me want to buy the Daily Mail and use it to wipe my ar53

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    At least they know what caused it.
  • RedWheels
    RedWheels Posts: 56
    rjsterry wrote:

well you are most of the time walking next to a road, with exhaust fumes blowing about all over the place you are still breathing it in maybe a little less v02 in your breathing but again you are still sucking it in?

You are more at risk from pollution on a bike then as a pedestrian (in general). This is because the heavy elements in exhaust fumes drop out of suspension quite quickly. Studies have shown that you inhale far more heavy elements by walking by the curb then you do 'shop side'. This can be extended to us poor cyclists who have to park our bike by the rear end of a bus at most junctions

If this dust is from the Sahara though, it is quite possible it is radioactive due to all the French nuclear tests that were going on in in the Algerian Sahara. . . . Maybe we wont need to wear hi-viz anymore after all this blows over on account of being glow in the dark.
  • rjsterry
    The dust is just one part of it. The really bad stuff is the NO2 and O3, which has been produced closer to home.

Most roads in central London, plus the City and Kings X are currently at 7/10.

http://www.londonair.org.uk/london/asp/nowcast.asp
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Now sure what the fuss is about. I'm asthmatic but been cycling to work like normal. Perhaps in a couple of days I'll be regretting it.
  • Stag on
    Stag on Posts: 99
    Mr Sterry has it. Spent 20 hours in a car with 2 air quality consultants on the way to and from the alps last July so git the full briefing. Apparently air quality forecasts made ten years ago factored in 10% diesel cars. Now we're up at 50 % plus. Diesel engines chuck out a lot of NO2. This is bad news.

Funny how the Saharan dust was heaviest around the busy routes in London these last few days. It's almost as if it's an easy way for the press to distract people's attention from the fact that much of this pollution is our own stuff. Poor air quality is thought to accelerate the demise of 30000 people a year in the UK , in other circumstances this would be considered a scandal. That the advice is to avoid exercising outside in these conditions if you have health issues is almost a civil liberties issue.

a lot of bravado on this thread, not surprising as to ride in London requires a pragmatic approach to risk. Personally having spoken to the people who look at this sort of stuff for a living,I won't be riding until it clears up.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    navt wrote:
    Now sure what the fuss is about. I'm asthmatic but been cycling to work like normal. Perhaps in a couple of days I'll be regretting it.

no Id agree,Im asthmatic and cycled in normally today, and actually Id say its more why the fuss now because Londons air quality in mid-march was worse when it hit higher peak levels, but didnt get anywhere near as much the same coverage, so is it just the saharan dust (which all the experts claim isnt the issue in terms of the harmful pollution) ie its a more visible pollutant thats different.

and also shouldnt forget as we are now in the throes of Spring, theres alot more blossom,cut grass and pollen about (in fact when I first started seeing the dust on cars I thought it was pollen) which is going to make peoples eyes itch, cough, etc etc.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i cut my ride home to 1/3 bloody awful here tonight, choking even with a buff across my mouth & nose, now that's a first for me in my old old old lifetime
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    New face mask made the homeward commute much more pleasant than Tuesday night. Eyes still pretty itchy, but I suspect that is the birch pollen adding to the cocktail.

As to why it's made the news, while high pollution levels are not unusual in Central London, similar levels are being seen outside central urban areas.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I'm a Londoner. I don't trust air I can't see.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    rjsterry wrote:
    New face mask made the homeward commute much more pleasant than Tuesday night. Eyes still pretty itchy, but I suspect that is the birch pollen adding to the cocktail.

As to why it's made the news, while high pollution levels are not unusual in Central London, similar levels are being seen outside central urban areas.

which did you go for? I have a respro sports star arriving today. I figured that even when the pollution level drops the pollen will be high so I thought it worth the investment.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • rjsterry
    Respro City with the Techno Gold filters, which are Respro's top end filters. AFAIK, pollen grains are relatively large, so most filters should have no problem keeping them out.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    excellent, in all honesty I did not realise that there were multiple filter types you could specify
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • rjsterry
    t0pc4t wrote:
    excellent, in all honesty I did not realise that there were multiple filter types you could specify

I just found out myself that there are two different types of valves - standard and POWA™ - the latter allowing for greater airflow if you are a <ahem> heavy breather. The Techno filters are a bit thicker than the Sportsta, so a bit more work to breathe through, but I only really notice it when riding on the rivet.
    Pinnacle Monzonite