Crossing the Rubicon

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited April 2014 in Commuting chat
Riding in this morning and it occurred to me that now I'm all svelte(-er) and that I should shave my legs for aerodynamic reasons.

My issue is that I already get grief from the wife and kids for not shaving my face more than every two weeks. If I shave my legs it's going to raise the pressure on face shaving.

Anyone got any good reasoned arguments, or any that may work with women?
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    We all understand that keeping the face fuzz keeps your SCR number 1 higher, but I am not sure women understand such important facts.

Perhaps show hep piccies of rugged, handsome men and point out their manly facial hair as a good example?
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I wish to take issue with your Classical allusion - shaving is more a Sisyphean task; you can chalk up a leg strip to a whim or caprice and the fur will spring forth again. Just tell your partner that you need to maintain a stubbly visage to fend off unwanted advances at work.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    menthel wrote:
    We all understand that keeping the face fuzz keeps your SCR number 1 higher, but I am not sure women understand such important facts.

Surely this would be offset by the -1 for the shaved legs? ;)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    menthel wrote:

Surely this would be offset by the -1 for the shaved legs? ;)

But shaved face and legs would be -2! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What do you look like asprilla? Think I saw you last night......just stick up a selfie
  • asprilla
    coriordan wrote:
    What do you look like asprilla? Think I saw you last night......just stick up a selfie

Only if you were on a black langster heading for Weybridge. I was on my blue Pug SS.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • mpdouglas
    mpdouglas Posts: 220
    Don't shave them - wax them! It's not nearly as painful as others make out. I crossed that bridge last year for my inaugural trip to the Dolomites for the Maratona - you just look a bit wrong with Chewbacca legs in a sea of Italian roadies!

The big benefit is that it takes much longer for the hair to come back and when it does, it's new soft hair rather than stubble. X-It in Soho are good and cater for blokes. http://www.xit-soho.com/
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Ministry of Waxing in Covent Garden or South Moulton St are the experts if you're going to go down the waxing route and do loads of blokes. They don't even bat an eyelid at a back/crack/whatever apparently because they do so many.

Tip if you're going to wax, wherever you go - take two Nurofen half an hour beforehand. Takes the edge off the pain :D
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    you just look a bit wrong with Chewbacca legs in a sea of Italian roadies!

Difficult to argue with this, but then the hair would partially conceal the blueish hue of my northern European skintype.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Hairy legs mark you out as a chopper and a dangerous liability, thereby gaining you valuable room in the peloton. Personally I can't be bothered to shave my face, never mind my legs - life is too short. And I know it wouldn't stop there, the wife would end up making me have a full body wax. No thanks.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    What he said. Life is too short unless you're a pro-cyclist or pro-poseur. :D
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • asprilla
    MrSweary wrote:
    What he said. Life is too short unless you're a pro-cyclist or pro-poseur. :D

Well I was dressed head to toe in Rapha when the thought entered my head....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    BigMat wrote:
    And I know it wouldn't stop there, the wife would end up making me have a full body wax. No thanks.
    Odd, the precise opposite for me. It's been made abundantly clear that any below-the-neck depilation will result in me sleeping on the sofa at best. Fine by me
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition