LeMond Reno, AiR & Madone 7. Now with added Parlee

stongle
stongle Posts: 61
edited May 2015 in Your road bikes
Thought since I've updated the Madone, might add some pics of it, my commuter / wet bike and the project:

First up 2006 LeMond:

imagejpg1_zps91d3e3b7.jpg

Mixed bag, looking a bad sad for itself currently. It's not been ridden since 2006, hence the mass of spacers! Might add a basket to complete the look.

Next, Boardman 9.2 AiR:

imagejpg7_zpsc441c6cb.jpg

53/39 Ultegra 6770, Racing 1s, and dirt. Needs a clean but is wet bike / commuter. Must sort ugly stem and silly tape out. Looks like saddle disappeared, but it's a Fizik Aliante.

Finally, updated for spring Madone 7:

imagejpg8_zpsf6334cb9.jpg

Added 52/36 Q rings, and removed all spacers. Kept same DA9070, but will switch wheels over when weather finally settles and roads improve (hence the so/so tyres).

And here's one of the AiR escaping the Madone cos it's 4mph faster:

imagejpg10_zps516d4cc6.jpg

Just been built up, not quite finished yet:

IMG_20150512_205235_zpszamwtxii.jpg

spec as currently stands:

Parlee ESX, custom digi-cam paint job. Size small.
Drivetrain: Dura-ace di2 9070
Brakes: Dura-ace, plus direct mount rear
Wheels: Enve 6.7 clincher with Chris King hubs
Bar / stem: Enve ses bar & stem (stem should be 110 and with black logos, not yet received). Also had to leave 5mm of spacer to avoid DA junction box fouling on frame. Some Fizik Bar type
Cages: Arundel Carbon
Saddle: Fizik curve
Cranks: rotor 3d+ 165mm 52:36 Q rings. Again, bit let down here, should he on Rotor dn powercranks. 53:39 q-rings currently being powder coated and custom black vinyl added (match wheels).
Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
Wet - 2013 Madone 7 Series
Commuting & general abuse - Boardman AIR9.2s
Carbon and electric everything. I've yet to get zapped and nothings melted (yet anyway)

Comments

• stongle
    Hmmm why do my pics not work.... Humph

Yay! Fixed. Have that.
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
    Carbon and electric everything. I've yet to get zapped and nothings melted (yet anyway)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Good collection. There's the proof we needed that the Boardman AiR is definitely faster.. ;)
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    That Boardman is far too nice for a wet weather bike!
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Nice;if I had the choice of those it would be the LeMond even looking as sad as it is.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • stongle
    edited April 2014
    Imposter wrote:
    Good collection. There's the proof we needed that the Boardman AiR is definitely faster.. ;)
    That Boardman is far too nice for a wet weather bike!;)

Its true I read it on the Internet! ;-)

Seriously, it is fast on the flat - helped by the "manly" crank (bit of a shocker the first 12%+ climb, but soon got used to it). And like "curry to a pi$$head", or Aldi to the cycling beards; it gets all the wrong (or right) attention on the commute. It really is good training, when you want to "bring it" for traffic light grand prix / crit starts. Thanks for that, and sorry I'm not cool enough to run all the reds to beat people; I'm mildly allergic to death. I'm ranting. Must stop.

I don't see what's wrong with it as far as wet bike / commuter (15miles each way so too far for something trendy) goes; it doesn't dissolve in the rain and it’s a good enough compromise to not continually use the Madone in poor weather. Again that doesn’t dissolve either; but the DA bits are evidently a bit more fragile and I'm a bit OCD about servicing wear & tear. It just had its early season service that included new chain, Swiss stop pads, tyres, tubes, BB bearing, cables - its 3rd service in 1 year of ownership.

Anyway, I'm hiding pennies at home for the next one. Something less ubiquitous next time Look 695 Aerolight or Parlee ESX.
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
  • stongle
    oldbazza wrote:
    Nice;if I had the choice of those it would be the LeMond even looking as sad as it is.

Really? It weighs about the same as the other 2 combined (probably good MTFU training though; but I'd rather put sand in my bibs than hustle that up some of the hills round me).
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    stongle wrote:

And here's one of the AiR escaping the Madone cos it's 4mph faster:

:lol:
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    stongle wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    That Boardman is far too nice for a wet weather bike!;)

Its true I read it on the Internet! ;-)

Seriously, it is fast on the flat - helped by the "manly" crank (bit of a shocker the first 12%+ climb, but soon got used to it). And like "curry to a pi$$head", or Aldi to the cycling beards; it gets all the wrong (or right) attention on the commute. It really is good training, when you want to "bring it" for traffic light grand prix / crit starts. Thanks for that, and sorry I'm not cool enough to run all the reds to beat people; I'm mildly allergic to death. I'm ranting. Must stop.

I don't see what's wrong with it as far as wet bike / commuter (15miles each way so too far for something trendy) goes; it doesn't dissolve in the rain and it’s a good enough compromise to not continually use the Madone in poor weather. Again that doesn’t dissolve either; but the DA bits are evidently a bit more fragile and I'm a bit OCD about servicing wear & tear. It just had its early season service that included new chain, Swiss stop pads, tyres, tubes, BB bearing, cables - its 3rd service in 1 year of ownership.

Anyway, I'm hiding pennies at home for the next one. Something less ubiquitous next time Look 695 Aerolight or Parlee ESX.

The ESX is very nice. That'd be my choice.

and I can sympathize with running 'manly' cranks and not being a particularly good climber... its funny when I'm grinding out a cadence of 70 whilst everyone else is spinning 90 on their compact, I'd probably try a 52/36 next time. Or a go the other way - 53/45? :lol:
  • stongle
    The ESX is very nice. That'd be my choice.

and I can sympathize with running 'manly' cranks and not being a particularly good climber... its funny when I'm grinding out a cadence of 70 whilst everyone else is spinning 90 on their compact, I'd probably try a 52/36 next time. Or a go the other way - 53/45? :lol:

Thast what I found. I had 50:34 Q's on the Madone last year. I not a great spinner and struggle above 110 rpm (find it umcomfortable and tending to spin out on fast flats); so decided to try the 53:39. Although very steep climbs are tough, I can still get up everything I've needed too (nothing too Alp like yet); but thats why I switched to running the 52:36 Qs on the Madone. I think its probably the best comprimise, but will see how it goes. The 2nd little beast arrived 12 weeks ago, so he's nicking most of my cycling time (although we practice peddling at nappy changing time; he likes that and Wu Tang Clan for some reason).
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    good grief :shock:
  • stongle
    Updated to add ESX
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
  • west green
    west green Posts: 134
    hi, great collection, please add to small bikes threads , especially the Parlee
  • velogee
    velogee Posts: 133
    Madone for me. I am biased.
    Madone 4.9 2014
    Jeffsy 27.5 2018
  • The more I see of the ESX the more I like it. Love the DigiCam paint too.

Might be time soon to trade in the Z5.... :twisted: