help with frameset

tehtehteh
tehtehteh Posts: 103
edited April 2014 in Cyclocross
hello people, I'm new here

I was hoping you could help me find a frameset for my new build, I have SRAM rival groupset already

I would like:

disc specific
alu frame is fine but definitely carbon forks
front thru axle if possible
threaded BB is preferred
braze on FD, bottom pull, I don't like those top pull adapter wheel things
full internal cable routing
I prefer the rear disc caliper to be on the inside of the triangle as it looks super tidy, but this isn't a big deal
don't care about mudguards, would rather not have the eyelets etc..... but I do want to fit 2 bottle cages

so far the closest thing I can find is the 2014 Giant TCX frameset, though it's press fit BB

so do you chaps know of any others that come close to fitting that spec?

thanks

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    There are pretty much no big names that still use a threaded BB. Nothing wrong with press fit...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • tehtehteh
    tools, concerns about creaking.... I've ridden 1000s of miles on a hollowtech threaded BB for about 7 years with no problems at all

but I'm open to new tech so any suggestions are welcome
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Don't really see need for a through-axle on a CX fork - doesn't really serve any purpose except make wheel changes more of a faff.
    BB86/90/386 is fine IME - BB30 is silly for a CX frame anyway because of the need for tyre clearance.
    Braze-on unlikely, particularly with growing popularity of single ring transmissions.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • tehtehteh
    I'm not racing so wheel changes aren't a problem, for me a thru axle makes perfect sense for disk brakes, but by all means suggest a frame without one, I'm just weighing up my options and I have posted my ideal spec but I don't expect to get a perfect match
  • Grill
    tehtehteh wrote:
    tools, concerns about creaking.... I've ridden 1000s of miles on a hollowtech threaded BB for about 7 years with no problems at all

but I'm open to new tech so any suggestions are welcome

Currently have over 7k miles of 4 seasons weather on my Foil's PF BB with no issues.

Thing about cross is that you really need to strip and clean properly regardless of component choice.
  • tehtehteh
    cool

so can you suggest any framesets for me?
  • Grill
    Trek Crockett or Focus Mares AX are pretty close. Ridley has some nice carbon options too.
  • tehtehteh
    good stuff, thanks
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Kinesis Pro 6?

disc specific - yes
    alu frame is fine but definitely carbon forks - yes & yes
    front thru axle if possible - no, not really a mass adoption of this yet
    threaded BB is preferred - yes BSA
    braze on FD, bottom pull, I don't like those top pull adapter wheel things - sort of - bottom pull but clamp on
    full internal cable routing - no
    I prefer the rear disc caliper to be on the inside of the triangle as it looks super tidy, but this isn't a big deal - no, it's on the chainstay so it's clear of your heel
    don't care about mudguards, would rather not have the eyelets etc..... but I do want to fit 2 bottle cages - eyelets for guards, rack and bottles but pretty discrete.

internal cabling is nice and pretty for sure but it's a bit of a pain in the rear to maintain and can compromise the effectiveness of the cables if it's not well designed.