My new (old) Peugeot Competition 500

andrewc3142
andrewc3142 Posts: 906
edited April 2014 in Your road bikes
Edit: Revised version a few posts below.

Bought a few weeks ago from the sale section here. As far as I can tell this model is from 1995.

Generally good nick, but needed a bit of TLC.

Replaced headset/bearings since it was a bit loose, fitted new 105 BB (although the old one probably had a bit more life in it), new 11/28 7 spd cassette and chain, Swiss Stop green pads on some holders I already had, B17 narrow saddle that was doing nothing in the shed, some Fulcrum racing 7 wheels with half worn GP4000s tyres from a previous upgrade and Lizard Skin bar tape.

Despite historic evidence not to attempt to mess around with the shifters I did anyway and as always ended up breaking them. Well, they were a bit past it. So put some Crane Creek brake levers and downtube shifters on instead (nice and retro and I'd forgotten just how well they work).

The only thing left to do is the front mech. I think it's the original since it's Shimano RSX, but it is really bulky and there is wafer thin clearance with the rear tyre, which is really weird. I think I'll change next weekend.

Not that happy with how I did the bar tape. The bike's for my son and he likes plenty of shock absorption, riding often without gloves. I'd forgotten what a pain it is to get perfect compared to flat tape. Plus the rubber on the hoods doesn't come down that far.

Rides great and I reckon I'd be hard pushed to find a new bike with this quality of frame and components for under £350.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    MAybe a bar tape which is not.... blue?
    left the forum March 2023
  • andrewc3142
    Yeah, guess you're right there. This had the advantage of already being in the shed.

White would look best, for about a day. Next time will be black.

Edit: Yup, ordered some Fizik Superlight, the one I use on all my bikes, in black (he'll have to live without the gel effect). Also ordered a new front mech so will be properly finished next weekend.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    purple is good...
  • andrewc3142

Now finished.

Fitted a new front mech today to solve the weird clearance problem - Shimano 8 speed, works fine with 7 speed, looks OK and cheap as chips.

Also changed the dreadful Lizard Skins tape (colour, fitting, feel, and especially price, all a fail in my books) for some proper white Fizik.

Had a test ride and have to say it feels quite similar to my Acciaio, at about a fifth of the cost. Really pleased with it.

A bit of a throw-back using downtube shifters again. They're so cheap, simple, light and smooth it really makes me wonder how STIs took over so completely for day to day bikes …. Perhaps the clue is in the cheap bit - why sell something that costs a few quid when you can sell something that does pretty much the same thing for a few hundred quid, especially when they break every few years.

The brake levers are a little high, but this is to fit my 14 year old.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    A bit of a throw-back using downtube shifters again. They're so cheap, simple, light and smooth it really makes me wonder how STIs took over so completely for day to day bikes …. Perhaps the clue is in the cheap bit - why sell something that costs a few quid when you can sell something that does pretty much the same thing for a few hundred quid, especially when they break every few years.

You can buy Dura Ace downtube shifters, they are even indexed... no bike is fitted with them, that's how they get people into STI
    left the forum March 2023
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    Love the retro purple
    You can buy Dura Ace downtube shifters, they are even indexed... no bike is fitted with them, that's how they get people into STI
    My Surly had Dura Ace SL? 7900 10 speed downtube shifters, took them off in favour of 5703 STI's reminded me of a ships engine order telegraph for some reason.
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The brake levers are a little high, but this is to fit my 14 year old.

Maybe get him a smaller bike?
  • andrewc3142

I fitted the Dia Compe friction ones, and they work really well, with nice slick changes front and rear.

If more bikes came with braze-ons I suspect DT shifters would be quite a popular choice for winter/commuting bikes, especially when the STI shifters break and people find out how much they cost to replace ...