Moving from Cat 4 to Cat 3

mitchgixer6
mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
edited April 2014 in Amateur race
Hi all.

This may well be a silly question but I'm going to ask it anyway. :D

So I'm currently Cat 4 with 6 points after my first race this year. I've just entered another 3 Cat 4 only races in May. Just wondering what happens if I get enough points to move up to Cat 3 after the first or second of these races? Presuming my entry for the remaining races would just be cancelled?

Thanks

Comments

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Or you cancel them yourself if you entered via Rider HQ.

I think there is a technicality somewhere that says if you were entered before promotion you can still race, but don't get points? Certainly that has happened in a few races I've done. Seems a pointless thing for all though.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    okgo wrote:
    Or you cancel them yourself if you entered via Rider HQ.

I think there is a technicality somewhere that says if you were entered before promotion you can still race, but don't get points? Certainly that has happened in a few races I've done. Seems a pointless thing for all though.

If the closing date has passed...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • ongej
    ongej Posts: 118
    Just ask the organiser to change your name to the list of Cat3s... this happened the other day, one guy booked 4 races in advanced, and at the first one, got 2nd and had enough points to upgrade to Cat 3. He then just asked the organiser if his pre-reg places could be changed and the organiser said no problem.
  • This sounds like a good problem to have, I must say!
  • weedram
    weedram Posts: 41
    This happened to my 17 year old son recently.

Initially he was a 3rd Cat 1st year Junior with a few points.

He rode 2 CC races and placed in both races

On Sunday he raced in a 3/4 road race.

The results of the road race were put up first on the BC web site and at that point he was still showing as 3rd Cat with 8 new points from the RR.

later the CC results were posted and this gave him enough points to move up to 2nd Cat before riding the road race.

As a result of this the RR result has changed and is now showing him as 2nd Cat with 0 points scored in that race.

He will now be contacting a few 3/4 RR organisers to withdraw from the entry list, though it is interesting that he could ride the ones that have passed their closing date, but not score any points.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Go for the win and be the victor even if the records may not show it.
  • weedram wrote:

The results of the road race were put up first on the BC web site and at that point he was still showing as 3rd Cat with 8 new points from the RR.

later the CC results were posted and this gave him enough points to move up to 2nd Cat before riding the road race.

As a result of this the RR result has changed and is now showing him as 2nd Cat with 0 points scored in that race.

He will now be contacting a few 3/4 RR organisers to withdraw from the entry list, though it is interesting that he could ride the ones that have passed their closing date, but not score any points.
  • mitchgixer6
    Thanks for all the replies folks. I agree its a good problem to have! Have only ever ridden 3/4 races before so was pleasantly surprised when riding the cat 4 only race!

I've entered 3 out of the 5 race series that's coming up in may, so if I get promoted to cat 3 before the races I entered are done I'll still ride but know I won't be able to score any more points. I might even be able to help some club mates out in the same race.

Cheers.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    Thanks for all the replies folks. I agree its a good problem to have! Have only ever ridden 3/4 races before so was pleasantly surprised when riding the cat 4 only race!

I've entered 3 out of the 5 race series that's coming up in may, so if I get promoted to cat 3 before the races I entered are done I'll still ride but know I won't be able to score any more points. I might even be able to help some club mates out in the same race.

Cheers.

would you not be better off trying to find for 3/4 cat races to ride instead? the point of categories is so you race other who within reason are a similar ability to you...
  • mitchgixer6
    Well yes I have a Cat 3/4 race before the Cat 4 only ones. Plus I'll be riding at least another 4 or 5 3/4 races this year. My goal for this year is to get my Cat 3 license so I'm going to take advantage of as many Cat 4 only races as I can because there's not very many of them in Scotland.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Ride them on a day licence - but don't tell anyone I said that...
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Presumably this is the Ingliston crits?

It is quite common at these for riders to get points needed to upgrade and then still be in the 4ths in the next race. It is quite a short turnaround - something like 3 races in 8 days (which as you will know is almost half of the 4th cat calender for the entire year in Scotland) . Because of that lack of opportunity for 4th only racing i think it would be "fairest" if you decide to still race with the 4ths after upgrading to focus on other things like helping your team mates out like you mentioned rather than going for another placement yourself. If you want to race for yourself then join the main race.
  • mitchgixer6
    Yeah Ingliston crits. They must be spaced out a bit more this year, one every Thursday evening for the first 3 Thursday's then one on the 20th and the last one on the 24th. As you say these are the only ones available until the new event Crit under the Castle in August.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Presumably this is the Ingliston crits?

It is quite common at these for riders to get points needed to upgrade and then still be in the 4ths in the next race. It is quite a short turnaround - something like 3 races in 8 days (which as you will know is almost half of the 4th cat calender for the entire year in Scotland) . Because of that lack of opportunity for 4th only racing i think it would be "fairest" if you decide to still race with the 4ths after upgrading to focus on other things like helping your team mates out like you mentioned rather than going for another placement yourself. If you want to race for yourself then join the main race.

Surely if 4th only races are so restricted in number it would be fairest to withdraw / change to an alternative and leave the race to those who are still eligible so they can battle it out themselves?
  • mitchgixer6
    Suppose it depends on the amount of entries and whether any one has entered requesting to be a reserve. If I was to pull out of one race there's no guarantee there would be someone else to take my place.
  • Pross
    No but it would be slightly unfair if you were to work to help a club mate win at the expense of another rider. It's not a big deal but just something to consider I suppose.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    weedram wrote:

That's made my evening someone posting using the correct UK terminology.
  • Pross
    There's still a few of us!
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    LegendLust wrote:
    weedram wrote:

That's made my evening someone posting using the correct UK terminology.

+1