Does this mean the end of a bike?

BMKN
BMKN Posts: 222
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Hi guys upon inspection on my broken derailleur I noticed my fork where the quick release is is damaged. Its broken off the curvy section of it where the quick release bar sits Is this mendable or is it the end of the bike?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Without pictures it is impossible to say.

You say broken but it might not be.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BMKN
    Unfort I cant upload as im working on my phone. Will upload tomorow
  • BMKN wrote:
    Hi guys upon inspection on my broken derailleur I noticed my fork where the quick release is is damaged. Its broken off the curvy section of it where the quick release bar sits Is this mendable or is it the end of the bike?

If the fork is damaged terminally at worst you need a new fork - do you actually mean the rear dropouts?
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    BMKN wrote:

If the fork is damaged terminally at worst you need a new fork - do you actually mean the rear dropouts?

Or a replaceable (sacrificial) aluminium gear hanger.
  • Spectre
    Spectre Posts: 16
    Sounds like you are talking about the rear dropouts.

They are repairable and there's a few places I've seen on-line that offer that kind of work. It would depend on how badly damaged they are and what sort of material your bike is made from though.
  • BMKN
    It is a full carbon bike so I assume the drop-outs are carbon also
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    BMKN wrote:
    It is a full carbon bike so I assume the drop-outs are carbon also

Not a reasonable assumption! Carbon frame doesn't necessarily mean carbon dropouts. I have one carbon frame with alloy dropouts, one with carbon and one with one of each!

From the pic it just looks like your mech hangar is broken. You just need to get a replacement - hardest thing will hopefully be finding out which hangar to get because, for some unfathomable reason, there is no standardisation in hangar shape.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • BMKN
    are they not welded on though and part of the fork?
  • +1 defo looks like hanger is broken which is easily replaced but post another pic with the hanger removed so we can actually see the drop out. Once you remove the hanger it will be easy to see a) is the dropout damaged and b) if it is damaged if its carbon or Al.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Yeah that's just the hanger that's broken. New ones can be had for £10.

Take that one off by removing the 2 small Allen bolts at the top and check the carbon behind isn't damaged
  • richiebones
    richiebones Posts: 379
    easy to replace.....if you can find a matching one....which on some bikes can be a pain in the arse.
  • BMKN
    I should really sto commuting on my carbon bike and just get a roadie for a few 100 quid as its my only bike.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    That looks dirtier than my bike :shock: :D
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    BMKN wrote:
    are they not welded on though and part of the fork?

If you take a closer look, you can see the screws that hold (what's left of) the hanger in place on the dropout. The 'fork' is at the front, by the way. At the back, you have seat stays and chain stays.
  • Spectre
    Spectre Posts: 16
    Yeah It looks like its just a broken hanger (Thankfully eh). That's one really dirty bike!