Cervelo S3 2014 - updated picture

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat Posts: 309
edited March 2015 in Your road bikes
CerveloS3_zps6524e3e9.jpg

My recently acquired Cervelo S3; done two rides so far, the first was a 140 miles and the second was a 156 miles, straight out of the box the bike felt right. The only changes made from the original spec have been to replace the Mavic tyres for some Veloflex Corsa in a 25c, a very supple tyre that rolls well and offers more confidence that the 23c Mavis. One thing I have found with the aero frame, besides being comfortable, is that it does get affected by cross winds. I did consider the Giant Propel, but this just looks shinier :D

11 speed Ultegra just works, what else can you say? The wheels are a bit on the hefty side, but they roll well, I do have some Enve 1.45s to go on, but they currently have a Campagnolo free-hub fitted, once that has been replaced it will knock in excess of 500gr off the overall weight.
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson

Comments

• nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Its a beauty. Can you do updated pics with the Enves as soonas possible? :D
  • Lovely
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I like the background! (and I like any S3 as it shows someone has taste, not buying an S5).

I wonder how chuckable these new S3s are, the original ones were disappointing handling-wise and not that inspiring to ride as a result. I'd hope these are a different kettle of fish now.
  • maxlite
    maxlite Posts: 293
    That b/grd is lovely and the bike, pic is now my desktop image!

Fork looks like it belongs to the bike, unlike the S5's!
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • CerveloS3_zps6524e3e9.jpg

My recently acquired Cervelo S3; done two rides so far, the first was a 140 miles and the second was a 156 miles, straight out of the box the bike felt right. The only changes made from the original spec have been to replace the Mavic tyres for some Veloflex Corsa in a 25c, a very supple tyre that rolls well and offers more confidence that the 23c Mavis. One thing I have found with the aero frame, besides being comfortable, is that it does get affected by cross winds. I did consider the Giant Propel, but this just looks shinier :D

11 speed Ultegra just works, what else can you say? The wheels are a bit on the hefty side, but they roll well, I do have some Enve 1.45s to go on, but they currently have a Campagnolo free-hub fitted, once that has been replaced it will knock in excess of 500gr off the overall weight.

I was under the impression 11 speed wheels are compatible across the groupsets.. ie same spacing. So you could run the enves with campag cassette with the 11 speed shimano..
  • I was under the impression 11 speed wheels are compatible across the groupsets.. ie same spacing. So you could run the enves with campag cassette with the 11 speed shimano..

you just made his day :)

nice ride
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Ding Dong !!
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Very nice, am just about to press the go button on one of these myself.

Just out of interest, what frame size is this?

Thanks
  • Thanks for the positive response...the idea of fitting a Campagnolo 11 speed cassette sounds promising, I shall look into that and check if the spacing is the same between Campagnolo/Shimano.

The frame is a 58cm and I am 184cm tall; it handles very well (once you ditch the Mavic tyres) and feels sharp when cornering, descending at speed is stable, but you can feel the buffering from a cross wind more.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • mekong_velo
    mekong_velo Posts: 102
    Very very nice !!
    Cervelo R3
    Tarmac Elite
  • Nice garage door, and I really like the bottle cage colour scheme.
  • I'm running campag 11 speed cassette on ultegra 11 groupset works fine,

I'm liking the s3

Dc
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Lovely bike :)

Chuck an 11 speed campag cassette on your enves, index it, and job is a good 'un :)
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • As recommended on this forum...replaced the Shimano 11-25 cassette with a Campagnolo 12-27, instead of replacing the free-hub on my Enve 1.45 rear wheel. No problem setting-up the indexing, quick spin around the block confirms that all is running well, I shall give it a proper run tomorrow. It would be unfair to compare the original Mavic Cosmic wheel set with the Enve wheel set, other than both being round they are chalk and cheese. The Enve wheels save in excess of 600 grammes in weight and are fitted with 23c Vittoria Corsa tubs, the tyres will be changed shortly for some black walled 25c Veloflex Roubaix.
    CerveloS3ampEnve145s1280x921_zpsee0223aa.jpg
  • Love it
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Looks fantastic
  • Glad you're going to change the tyres....that will make a beautiful bike look awesome :D
  • Now that looks very nice indeed.
  • white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    If I had this bike I would be very happy
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Saw one in my LBS on Saturday. Awesome. Very much want one, but not sure how I'd get it past the CFO...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Cheshire Cat
    After much faff and indecision...a pair of C50's now adorn the S3, and a much faster Team stem, as anyone in the know, knows...anything with a red stripe is much faster than a white stripe. Explains why the Garmin-Sharp pro team use them ;0)

Tyres are Specialized S-Works, 24c clinchers, they are bloody good, fitted the tub version onto my Enve's, most impressed.

S3withC50s_zps418a439c.jpg
  • DiscoBoy
    Needs longer valves ;)
  • Cheshire Cat
    Doesn't it just...the valves on the Specialized tyres are just too short to fit the 50mm rim, and a short 28mm Zipp extender won't fit the valve hole, funnily enough the Shimano supplied extenders fit perfectly.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Lovely bike.
    Love the coordination of the bottle cages 8)
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    One of the best looking bikes around at the moment IMO
  • DiscoBoy
    Doesn't it just...the valves on the Specialized tyres are just too short to fit the 50mm rim, and a short 28mm Zipp extender won't fit the valve hole, funnily enough the Shimano supplied extenders fit perfectly.

Why not buy some more tubes which are an appropriate length?
  • Cheshire Cat
    Apologies, I mean the valves on the tubes are too short...I could get some tubes with longer valves, but the current tubes are Vittoria latex and the only valve length available at the time of purchase was 40mm. It's no big issue though, I'm sure I can live with the valve extensions.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Lovely! I've got a soft spot for Cervelo's. Must be a blast to ride!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Those doors could do with a lick of paint...
  • DiscoBoy
    Apologies, I mean the valves on the tubes are too short...I could get some tubes with longer valves, but the current tubes are Vittoria latex and the only valve length available at the time of purchase was 40mm. It's no big issue though, I'm sure I can live with the valve extensions.

The lack of long valve latex tubes is annoying eh?

I have vredstein 60mm in my RS80s (same rim as yours, I believe) which are only fractionally too short, so I only need to use a valve extender to pump them up, and my valves look really tidy :)